Sign in with
Your question

Corsair SSD & system Freeze

Last response: in Motherboards
July 31, 2011 3:02:32 PM

Hi guys,

I just got a Gigabyte - GA - Z68X-UD4-B3 motherboard, which has both the Intel Z68 SATA3 controller and the Marvell 88SE9172 SATA3 controller. From what i read Z68 should be faster and since i have a SSD (corsair 3 Series) i like to have that performance (I actually measured it to around 450MB/s for read/write).
Now the problem is when i didnt have AHCI enabled my system was very unstable and it froze very often. Mostly when i pushed the disks (taking image using windows tool or Acronis TrueImage).
After i used the intel driver during windows installation it became more stable but i got the freeze again today after 2 day (when i was installing a program).

So my question is basically is the Marvell chipset/driver more stable and if other people have had the freeze problem i have using Z68?

My system has: (new pc)
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4, Socket-1155
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
Corsair SSD Force Series™ 3, 120GB (Set as Channel0 in bios)
Western Digital Caviar® Black 2TB (Set as Channel1 in bios)
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB PhysX CUDA
Corsair HX 750W PSU

I have had tons of issues with the SSD so i'm close to just go back to regular disk to be honest so all tips are welcome. I hate to have a system that freezes without warning.
Also when installing windows if i have both disk connected Windows refuses to create the system partition on my SSD so i have to unplug the second disk and connect it after installation. Basically the whole SSD disk addition has cause me a week of headache so i appreciate all the help i can get on the matter.
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 31, 2011 3:07:59 PM

No use the Intel SATA3 ports, ideally the 1st SATA3 port closest to the PCB.

Set AHCI in the BIOS.
AHCI corruption, run Fix It or change the "Start' values in the registry; see -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
July 31, 2011 4:36:40 PM

jaquith said:
No use the Intel SATA3 ports, ideally the 1st SATA3 port closest to the PCB.

Set AHCI in the BIOS.
AHCI corruption, run Fix It or change the "Start' values in the registry; see -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Thanks for the help but i dont have the described problem. I am also using the first (SSD) + second (WD) SATA3 connectors.

I did a test using Marvell port (set to AHCI) and making the intel as IDE but windows still refuse to create the System partition when i have both disk's connected.
I'm suspecting it dont like SSD + regular disk mixed (just a feeling i have).

Going to use the SSD alone to see if i will see the freeze problem again. If so then it must be either the SSD disk or motherboard unless you guys can suspect something else i can or should check?

ps. each time i make a clean windows install just to be sure everything is ok :) 
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 31, 2011 4:59:49 PM

ANS - Marvell Ports are a PITA and your 91xx is limited to x1 lane or in other words limited to 370~390 MB/s vs Intel SATA3 580~595 MB/s. Disable Marvell unless you run out of Intel SATA ports. Also, USB 3.0 Turbo -> Disable; another problem causer, it steals GPU PCIe lanes and will take your x16 GPU -> x8 PCIe lanes.

I have SSD + RAID 1 1TB HDD so that's not the issue, don't mix IDE & AHCI. Put the SSD in the SATA3 Intel port as I stated, and the HDD in SATA2 Intel ports, set the BIOS for AHCI, Disable the Marvell, Disable USB 3.0 Turbo, and run the Fix It.

I'm 99% certain you corrupted the registry and in doing so it's loading the wrong drivers. OFTEN once you did what you did requires a low level reformatting, setting it up correctly from moment 1, and re-installing the OS. Gigabytes are notorious for doing this, and I've seen it more than once.

You could also try, after changing the BIOS and per above, running Windows Repair {F8} -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/fe...

There's nothing special - you caused this moving the SATA ports + IDE/AHCI. You can play with this for a week or just bite the bullet. Your rig and your time. :) 
July 31, 2011 7:11:38 PM

Thanks allot for the useful info mate.
I did went back to intel's based on what you said. pulled out the WD and installed windows again clean with AHCI drivers and after a few boot i get "A disc read error occurred" just before windows loads. Seems the SDD is trueley messed up dont you think?.
I will try your fix also but i cant figure out what key they want me to set to 1.
Which subkey is it? (really like to do stuff manually so i know what is changed)

I include the screenshot for both keys:

>"I'm 99% certain you corrupted the registry and in doing so it's loading the wrong drivers."
i have done like 20-30 clean installs so how can i have corrupted the registry each time? do you mean its the driver or somehow i do it by doing something? (sorry for asking to much but i'm trying to understand what causes this and learn, i tend to re-install often due to lots of software testing so want to know how to make clean non buggy re-installs later)
Basically what i have done is to make a install (using Intels latest AHCI driver during partitioning, at the beginning of windows installation) and installed latest drivers for motherboard (just intel inf + usb3 + audio) and maybe Acronis TI for some testing. Each time i see system freeze on this setup with only basic drivers. I also added nVidia driver sometimes for Graphic card.

Again i really really appreciate the help and support.
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 31, 2011 7:26:03 PM

Your Start Values for AHCI are wrong,change to 0 (zero).

Here's mine:
July 31, 2011 8:45:14 PM

ahhh so its the Start key! Thanks allot mate.
But considering all i mentioned does this key really cause a disk read error do you think? considering to return the disk for a new one tomorrow but now i'm not sure. Its getting late so a new install and testing takes a few hours atleast :whistle: 
Any thoughts?
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 31, 2011 9:39:54 PM

If you have set AHCI in the BIOS and the wrong Start value is being used then you're loading the WRONG drivers.

You know, the first post I set here was all about FIXING the Start Values, and it WAS/IS the Described problem ;) 

The BIOS is using/needing the AHCI instructions and the drivers are trying to decipher IDE/Chinese. Further, I ass-u-me that you downloaded and installed ALL of the drivers from Gigabyte for your GA-Z68X-UD4 -- if not install them all -- don't use the older ones on your Gigabyte CD/DVD.
July 31, 2011 10:00:20 PM

jaquith said:
If you have set AHCI in the BIOS and the wrong Start value is being used then you're loading the WRONG drivers.

You know, the first post I set here was all about FIXING the Start Values, and it WAS/IS the Described problem ;) 

The BIOS is using/needing the AHCI instructions and the drivers are trying to decipher IDE/Chinese. Further, I ass-u-me that you downloaded and installed ALL of the drivers from Gigabyte for your GA-Z68X-UD4 -- if not install them all -- don't use the older ones on your Gigabyte CD/DVD.

OOH damn then i should for sure try it again! damn windows :D 
I downloaded all the latest one from Gigabyte homepage (actually they are pretty up to date compared to intels page).

There are not so many to install really. its just
- Intel INF installation
- Intel Management Engine Interface
- Realtek (Audio)
- Realtek LAN Driver
- Intel SATA RAID (there are 2 of them for intel, one is for during windows installation (during partitioning) which i use, the other is a installer. It seems if i use the first one the second one is redundant so i skip it on later tries).
- Etron USB 3.0 Driver

Now back to connecting the SSD again and test with the fix :D 

Thanks allot for your help. I will let you know after i test it and when i do see the freeze. Last time it took 2 days so hopefully it will be more stable now.

cheers
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 31, 2011 10:40:09 PM

Another thing DON'T USE F8 BIOS, there's a S3 bug and you'll get 'Boot loops' and possibly sudden shut-downs. So for now stick to F7 and IF you have F8 then downgrade to F7.

Let me know.
July 31, 2011 11:43:29 PM

jaquith said:
Another thing DON'T USE F8 BIOS, there's a S3 bug and you'll get 'Boot loops' and possibly sudden shut-downs. So for now stick to F7 and IF you have F8 then downgrade to F7.

Let me know.

dang i updated to F8 first day but will for sure downgrade right away (what is S3 btw?).
Another discovery i made just now :) 
Usually i use the intel AHCI drivers when installing but this time i skipped it and thought i can try the windows installer one (after all windows is suppose to include generic intel AHCI driver). I must say this is for sure the right way of doing it. For now the Inte's windows installer has installed me a nice intel storage utility showing my drive status and the IDE drivers are all replace with a nice Intel driver (i didnt do this when i used the driver during installation strangely). Also checking the registry "msahci" is set to 0 from the start and only "iaStorV" is set to 1 (this is for raid right?). I blame it on the motherboard manual misleading me :) 
any how you are just a gold source :lol: 

Thanks allot again for yet another for another great tips. Back to downgrading Bios hehe

I will for sure let you know the status when i test more but for know i have a feeling it is going in a right direction unless i'm among the unlucky people who actually have a bad SSD disk, i read on forums this model has many problems (or the people just haven't had the time to play around and tweak as much as i have :D )
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 1, 2011 12:11:18 AM

USE 0 in both! In the above photo I actually have RAID but in either case the values of AHCI is 100% (0) zero -- so change it before you corrupt some more.

S3 is a Sleep Mode, normally Windows for Sleep uses 'Hybrid Sleep Mode' which is H/W S3 + S4 which is saving the 'Memory' state to the SSD in your case - in other words a quick-waking version of Hibernation.

I don't think this has anything, zip, to do with your SSD. The problems are primarily coming from your MOBO, its' BIOS, and the friggin Start Values! Change them and don't second guess IF you indeed set AHCI in your BIOS, by default on P67/Z68 it is default.

edit: ...again ALSO downgrade your BIOS to F7.

No guessing on my part.
August 1, 2011 7:26:47 AM

hehe yes i did downgrade to F7 and set both start values to 0 now.
Just waiting for the Freeze to happend now (or not). I have become a bit paranoid after a week of problem.
Thanks a bunch for your patient and help. I will let you know if a day or two the status or if i get the freeze. For now it seems to work fine atleast :D 
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 1, 2011 1:09:24 PM

Sounds good, yes please update.
August 1, 2011 1:15:19 PM

Sad news :(  it just froze again and actually gave me BSOD this time.
When rebooted even Intel's BIOS software which detect the disc couldnt find the SSD. I would say the disk is bad at this point if bios cant read it. What do you think?

Considering getting a Intel 510 instead right now.
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 1, 2011 2:46:56 PM

If you have Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3-BK and in particular is the S/N is 1123 and perhaps 1124 or earlier then there's a recall. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96333&...

I did note the PCH voltage -> 1.15v.

To really complicate your issue, I have noted the UD4 & UD5 with BIOS F8 having all sorts of SATA related issues.

IMO - RMA the SSD and IF possible exchange for Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK or OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G.
August 1, 2011 3:28:59 PM

jaquith said:
If you have Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3-BK and in particular is the S/N is 1123 and perhaps 1124 or earlier then there's a recall. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96333&...

To really complicate your issue, I have noted the UD4 & UD5 with BIOS F8 having all sorts of SATA related issues.

IMO - RMA the SSD and IF possible exchange for Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK or OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G.

Thanks for checking. I'm on it already :)  (sadly mine does start with 1124).
Was going to get one more SSD later for my mac so i got me a Intel 510 for now (and testing). The Corsair is going to take a while to get back so i will use it in my mac later. Hopefully its not broken.

I hope intel dont mess up now but already in windows installation it behave correct. As i mention with Corsair it was seen as disk 2 and WD as disk 1 even though bios saw it correctly (SSD disk1 & WD disk2). With intel its correct both in Bios and windows. Time will tell if its stable :D 
Will report back (hopefully very late and with good news hehe).

Thanks a bunch again mate.
August 1, 2011 3:29:29 PM

jaquith said:

jaquith said:

Was going to get one more SSD later for my mac so i got me a Intel 510 for now (and testing). The Corsair is going to take a while to get back so i will use it in my mac later. Hopefully its not broken.

I hope intel dont mess up now but already in windows installation it behave correct. As i mention with Corsair it was seen as disk 2 and WD as disk 1 even though bios saw it correctly (SSD disk1 & WD disk2). With intel its correct both in Bios and windows. Time will tell if its stable :D 

August 1, 2011 3:30:04 PM

jaquith said:

August 1, 2011 3:31:52 PM

August 1, 2011 3:32:57 PM

a c 717 V Motherboard
August 1, 2011 4:05:14 PM

Intel SSD's are perfectly fine; keep in mind none of these companies manufactures the 'parts' and they simply assemble the final product - some are the exact same with different 'stickers.' The following post seem to have a similar path, so far 5 UD4 problems in a period of days. :(  I helped correct most so far.

link -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294802-30-z68x-intel-... curios to find if it's another Start value = 0 error; I cross linked you both and hope that's okay.
August 1, 2011 4:52:51 PM

Sure no problem. Thanks again.

ps. sorry for double posts, Firefox behaved strangely and didnt show my post :( 
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 1, 2011 5:13:57 PM

For Forums I like Chrome - spell check on the fly + right-click correction. Both browsers are good.

I figured something...

Keep me updated - thanks! :) 
August 5, 2011 11:49:05 PM

Been using the Intel 510 now for a few days heavily and no sign of freeze (dare to say its gone).
Damn i love the SSD :)  i was almost giving up on it but i'm glad i didnt. I usually use firefox with like 10-15 tabs open. On normal HD it takes forever to open them all but with SSD its matter of seconds. SSD is the FUTURE hehe.

Thanks for all the tips and help, i sure have learned a thing or two from you :) 

One last question, i see this one event that i dont really cant figure out:
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2."

More detail:
----------------
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Disk" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-05T23:35:01.247843600Z" />
<EventRecordID>3427</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>ShadowKing</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>\Device\Harddisk2\DR2</Data>
<Binary>0E01800001000000000000000B0004C003010000000000000000000000082D00000000000000000074107E0000000000FFFF
FFFF0600000058000000000000000000061208000010000000003C0000000000000000000000401AB80A80FAFFFF0000000000000000
B0FA470B80FAFFFF00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
00000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
----------------
Right now the disk management shows my Disk2 as the external disk (my backup disk i connect through USB).

I double checked my other media pc (the smal Asrock HTPC's) and it had the same error in its log (internal disk). Both pc's work just fine so i think this is a non problem but thought i ask if you know what causes it. forums say code 11 is serious but my HTPC (Asrock) have been working rock solid for over a year and its on 24/7 so...

Cheers
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 6, 2011 12:37:23 AM

First, I'm not a 'fanboy' of USB connected HDD(s), and I prefer 'SATA' ie -> eSATA connected external drives. This error can crop-up for a variety of reasons and if you're using 'Windows Backup'. If they're rare then I wouldn't be overly concerned.

I'd run SFC as shown on the affected drives and monitor the error(s):
August 11, 2011 10:23:40 AM

Thanks , i did that and no errors were found. I have a feeling this is due to usb. And i agree SATA/eSATA is much better and i will be getting that for future external drivs myself.
!