I am going to buy a new computer. I will use photoshop on it and house hundreds

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayle_58

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
The CPU type that is recommended is an INtel Core 2 quad/duo pentium dual-core/celeron
Being that it is listed this way could someone interpret it for me?
I see that I need a core 2 quad but what is the reference to a dual-core?
THanks,
Gayle

Solution
Hundreds of what? It makes a big difference.

You should look past Core2Quads to newer generations from both AMD and Intel.

A fast dual-core still works very well with PS - especially when combined with an SSD for your OS/Apps and 2 fast HDDs for capture/scratch and output. There are really great 6GB kits for RAMs going cheap these days.

There are plug-ins and effects that will, however, use multiple cores. Understand what each may bring to the table for you. Sames goes for...
Hundreds of what? It makes a big difference.

You should look past Core2Quads to newer generations from both AMD and Intel.

A fast dual-core still works very well with PS - especially when combined with an SSD for your OS/Apps and 2 fast HDDs for capture/scratch and output. There are really great 6GB kits for RAMs going cheap these days.

There are plug-ins and effects that will, however, use multiple cores. Understand what each may bring to the table for you. Sames goes for CUDA, especially in color correction.

Otherwise, a fast dual-core and upgraded disk I/O is the way to go. Backup redundancy storage is also a good idea if you have a good deal invested in your photography.

Solution

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Honestly, unless you intend adamantly to use those CUDA plugins, you don't need more than a GT 240 or HD 5670 for its OpenGL acceleration. CS5 runs very fast. Depending on your budget, you should try to aim for a fast Intel CPU and lots of RAM and a fast hard drive or SSD.

I'm alright with CS5 on my Macbook 2,1 with a Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz and 3GB and Intel GMA 950 (fast enough for hobbyist editing) although, you'll want to aim higher :).

Status
Not open for further replies.