2GB and 4GB ram together?

I just built my custom PC and i bought 2gb of ram Kingston KVR1333D3S8N9 and i want to buy a 4gb one and put it in the empty slot.But the only one that i found was the 4gb Kingston KVR1333D3N9 and i would like to know if it will work because it has an other Chip Brand and it is DS not SS.
12 answers Last reply
More about together
  1. It will likely work.
    But...
    Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
    Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
    Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
    That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.
    Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
    it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

In this case, only part of your ram will be operating in dual channel mode.

I suggest that since ram is so cheap today, that you just buy a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
    Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
    One place to check is your motherboards web site.
    Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
    Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
    For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
    Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
    While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.
  2. geofelt said:
    It will likely work.
    But...
    Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
    Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
    Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
    That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.
    Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
    it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

In this case, only part of your ram will be operating in dual channel mode.

I suggest that since ram is so cheap today, that you just buy a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
    Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
    One place to check is your motherboards web site.
    Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
    Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
    For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
    Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
    While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

I have a ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 motherboard and since i just bought this RAM and i don't want to buy an other RAM.Do you think that 4 gb of RAM would be enough or should i upgrade to 8gb for a better performance.I will buy a HD 7750 1GB DDR5, do you think that i will be able to play GTA IV or BF3 at decent settings at 30 fps in 4gb ram or should i upgrade to 8gb RAM?
  3. what version of windows are you running?

here's the physical memory limitations - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7
  4. dingo07 said:
    what version of windows are you running?

here's the physical memory limitations - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

windows 7 ultimate
  5. alexakis99 said:
    windows 7 ultimate

that still does not answer the question - 64bit or 32bit???
  6. dingo07 said:
    that still does not answer the question - 64bit or 32bit???

64 bit
  7. alexakis99 said:
    I have a ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 motherboard and since i just bought this RAM and i don't want to buy an other RAM.Do you think that 4 gb of RAM would be enough or should i upgrade to 8gb for a better performance.I will buy a HD 7750 1GB DDR5, do you think that i will be able to play GTA IV or BF3 at decent settings at 30 fps in 4gb ram or should i upgrade to 8gb RAM?

No game will use more than 2-3gb by itself. If you have little else going on, then 4gb should be sufficient.
    2gb is not enough.

Past that, a 7750 is not the strongest graphics card out there, and a amd cpu of any type will struggle in BF3 multiplayer.

Since you have already built your pc, you have a better idea than I about how well it works for you.

If what you have does not do the job, remember that anything you can buy, you can sell in favor of what you need.
  8. I have 2 sticks of 2 GB ram and 2 Sticks of 1 GB ram on my M3N78-EM +555BE , no issues!!!, maybe just lucked in. Boards especially older ASUS boards are very sensitive to RAM Modules.
  9. geofelt said:
    No game will use more than 2-3gb by itself. If you have little else going on, then 4gb should be sufficient.
    2gb is not enough.

Past that, a 7750 is not the strongest graphics card out there, and a amd cpu of any type will struggle in BF3 multiplayer.

Since you have already built your pc, you have a better idea than I about how well it works for you.

If what you have does not do the job, remember that anything you can buy, you can sell in favor of what you need.

So do you think that 4gb of ram will be enough for recent games?And if the 8gb will make difference in FPS?
    I will also be doing some video/photo editing.For the editing i will probabl need more for faster rendering but i don't mind slow rendering.Just not lag while i am editing.
  10. geofelt said:
    2gb is not enough.

What FPS should i be getting with a AMD Athlon x3 450 3.2ghz,HD 7750 1gb and 4gb in GTA IV and BF3.If its not bottlenecking the GPU my CPU.
  11. alexakis99 said:
    So do you think that 4gb of ram will be enough for recent games?And if the 8gb will make difference in FPS?
    I will also be doing some video/photo editing.For the editing i will probabl need more for faster rendering but i don't mind slow rendering.Just not lag while i am editing.

For games, 4gb should be enough, and there would be no impact on fps with 8gb.
    But 8gb will allow windows to cache more code in ram, available for instant reuse.
    And... 8gb will reduce workfile i/o while editing.
  12. geofelt said:
    2gb is not enough.

Once i finish my PC i will go and make some benchmarks and show them to you if you are curious.
    I will be running GTA IV,BF3 and maybe some Call of Duty.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Kingston Storage