Sign in with
Your question

AHCI option !?

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2012 1:07:47 PM

hey guys . im using hitachi 7200rpm ( 500GB ) HDD

& recently i discovered an option called AHCI

& my Questions Are :

1. which one is fastest ? ide option , raid option or AHCI option ?

( i enabled AHCI with registery codes ! i feel its way faster than IDE but just wanna make sure about it )

2. i downloaded AMD AHCI driver 12.10 ( 28mb ) file from Amd.com
is this driver slower than ms win7 driver ?

3. i set " E-SATA Controller mode " on AHCI & "on-Chip ATA Devices"
on AHCI mode too ? is that correct ? what each one does ? should i set both on AHCI if i want that option to work properly ?

if you could answer each question separately it wd be gr8 , thx a lot :D 

More about : ahci option

a b G Storage
December 21, 2012 1:14:17 PM

1. IDE is compability mode used for older SATA drives while AHCI is the newer standard...you will see a small performance increase when using AHCI as it takes advantage of caching on the drive

2. you dont need to download AHCI drivers as they are included with BIOS as you can change your sata mode to either ahci or ide

3. e-sata is your external sata..some cases have that port so you can plug your external sata drives from the front panel as they provide faster speeds than usb
m
l
a c 179 G Storage
December 21, 2012 1:17:22 PM

1. All are equally fast.
2. "
3. Don't know; it is important only if you will hot plug E-sata external devices.

AHCI enables hot plugging of devices and supports E-sata removeable devices.
AHCI is only of importance if you have a SSD; that is because the "trim' command can then be transmitted to the ssd to improve update speed.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2012 2:45:29 PM

but i saw few benchmarks showing higher performance with AMD drivers vs ms drivers !

So im goin to uninstall them ! should i do so ?
m
l
a c 179 G Storage
December 21, 2012 2:54:06 PM

If you are stable, don't bother.
Your risk of screwing things up is much greater than the possibility of seeing any improvement without a synthetic benchmark.
m
l
December 22, 2012 3:55:26 PM

i tested it with benchmark tool . results were better with AHCI mod . but i my self experience faster computing with IDE .

i changed registery code to be able to run AHCI mod . but i went back to ide but iwanna change reg codes back to what they were ! can you provide its codes ?

i mean before i apply new codes . i cdnt use AHCI . i jst want my old codes before enabling AHCI ! i have no reg backup !!! thats why im asking

& plz answer rest of my questions

like do i need amd drivers ? do i need AHCI for better gaming ? & ....
m
l
!