Samsung 840's Longevity and Reliability

As Seen on TV

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I am seriously considering getting a 500GB Samsung 840 (not Pro) being offered at $310 on Adorama.com. My worry is that reviews point to their uncertainty with the longevity and reliability of the drive.

Does anyone have any hard data on this or this just overzealous cautiousness? 3 years warranty's fine with me as I plan to upgrade to a larger, faster, cheaper and better SSD by that time.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
As long as you're backing up like any responsible user, it shouldn't be a concern. The manufacturer clearly has faith in it with a nice 3-year warranty. I use a variety of SSDs in all my systems and we're beginning to transition to SSDs in the office as well (it's a lot cheaper than new computers and tends to work out faster, heh).

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

The only reliability issue I have heard of, was a bug in the pre-release firmware, so some review samples died, this was fixed beore release though.

As to the longivity, with a 3 year warranty it seems Samsung believes in the drive, other than that, just have to wait and see what happens, so far it seems there are no issues with the 840 line of drives.

jemm

Distinguished
Samsung 500GB 840 Series are supposed to be market cheaper, because they use TLC (NAND) Triple Level Cell flash -- it provides 50% more storage capacity than MLC (3bits per cell vs 2bits per cell).

However TLC wears out faster than MLC.

MLC is also faster (performance better) than TLC!

Not to worry.

You might expect 10+ years.
Read this article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand