Sign in with
Your question

Rosewill Challenger??? (Opinions, Can I turn off LED)

Last response: in Components
December 3, 2010 6:13:51 PM

Hi all......I am waiting for SB in Jan for my first time build. I had decided to go with a CM 690 ii based on reading many many threads.

I saw the 690ii last night at MicroCenter. Its pretty BIG, and while the design is pretty understated, I actually like an even more basic design like the Antec 300 or Lian Li's. I am NOT A GAMER so the chances that I ever need a super-sized GPU etc are very small. However I do want to OC, and I have already bought the Hyper 212+ so I need a case that can fit it. It feels like I don't need a big case like the 690 to put in a mobo, 212+, 1 DVD drive and 2 HDDs.

Now I'm pointing to the Rosewill cases as they seem to be pretty good values, and the styling seems decent enough. Looking at the Challenger, Blackbone and Destroyer. Challenger seems to offer the best mix for me. I actually like Blackbone styling better, but it gets a bunch of bad reviews for having flimsy upfront audio and USB jacks, plus I like the sideways HDD config on the Challenger.

I know there are a million Antec 300 lovers out there, but I don't get what is so great about it.....not black inside, very basic and non-moveable drive bays, apparently no real cable management, and its more expensive than the Rosewills. I guess the main thing people cite is thicker steel (and the Antec 300 love probably feeds on itself as lots of people do a quick search, see that it has a zillion reviews, and then buy it themselves.)

Any Rosewill owners out there.......can you turn off the blue LED on the front fan if you want? Or if you don't like it, do you have to swap in a whole new fan? I've read plenty of Newegg reviews which praise the Challenger but if anyone else has first-hand experience, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 3, 2010 7:55:04 PM

you can't turn off the fan and frankly they are not good fans and should be replaced. i've owned both the blackbone and three hundred. the three hundred is a much better case. Microcenter actually has the blackbone, its the linked case under their in-house name of powerspec rather then newegg and rosewill.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

both the powerspec and rosewill are just a re-branded Apex 3620
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
December 3, 2010 8:18:13 PM

Thanks. I was focusing more on the Challenger, which apparently is the same case as the NZXT Gamma. Seems to be a little better reviewed.

If its true that the fans need replacing then I guess the price becomes less of a deal vs the others.

The Antec 300 I saw in MicroCenter seemed fine but very....basic.... light gray inside, no attempt at toolless at all (although I may actually prefer to just thumbscrew everything in...I'm not gonna be in there every day swapping drives!), no Esata port (although I know you can always take it from the back of the mobo......

I dunno.....why specifically do you like the 300 as a "much better case"?

Choices....
m
l
Related resources
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 3, 2010 8:44:34 PM

hogan773 said:
Thanks. I was focusing more on the Challenger, which apparently is the same case as the NZXT Gamma. Seems to be a little better reviewed.

If its true that the fans need replacing then I guess the price becomes less of a deal vs the others.

The Antec 300 I saw in MicroCenter seemed fine but very....basic.... light gray inside, no attempt at toolless at all (although I may actually prefer to just thumbscrew everything in...I'm not gonna be in there every day swapping drives!), no Esata port (although I know you can always take it from the back of the mobo......

I dunno.....why specifically do you like the 300 as a "much better case"?

Choices....

solid sides compared to the thinner rosewill and less mesh, sturdier internal build, better airflow, I like thumbscrews, I could care less about holes for cables, I just zip tie them to the HDD cage, better looking front (IMHO) and the gray doesn't effect me since I don't look into my case.

the rosewill challenger is a fine case and you should get the case you like looking at. I like the fact the Rosewill top has less mesh then the NZXT version (although you may not)

the back fan in the rosewill is different then the NZXT and not just in color, the blades seem to be angled differently and differ in width. No clue about the front fan but I would also assume they are different, coincidentally the backbone, apex, and powerspec used the same fans.

just to make things harder check out these cases
xigmatek utguard on sale @ newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

bit-tech raves about it
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/04/14/xigma...

thermaltake A60
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
kit-guru raves about it
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/zardon/thermalt...
m
l
December 3, 2010 9:06:04 PM

I also kinda like the NZXT Beta Evo.......looks nice. Negatives vs Rosewill Challenger = larger size (I am trying to stay away from the 20x20 monsters) and only comes with 1 fan so I'd need to buy another 1 at least.

Do you know if there is a Rosewill version of the NZXT Beta Evo? (like the Challenger is the same as the Gamma)
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 3, 2010 9:13:53 PM

hogan773 said:
I also kinda like the NZXT Beta Evo.......looks nice. Negatives vs Rosewill Challenger = larger size (I am trying to stay away from the 20x20 monsters) and only comes with 1 fan so I'd need to buy another 1 at least.

Do you know if there is a Rosewill version of the NZXT Beta Evo? (like the Challenger is the same as the Gamma)

I like the looks of the Evo it has that nice front grille, although I have read only decent reviews on it. This would the rosewill alternative but its not made by the same OEM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 4, 2010 12:54:31 AM

Thanks for the link.....too much Autobot/Decepticon look in that one for me. I just need a PC, not anything that is "more than meets the eye" so to speak

I'll probably go Challenger....maybe Beta Evo. I keep kicking around Antec 300 too only cause of the nice clean look and the build quality.

I wish there was somewhere I could actually see and touch the Rosewill case in person....since I had decided I liked the CoolerMaster 690ii but once I saw it in person it just felt big.
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 4, 2010 1:29:47 AM

hogan773 said:

I wish there was somewhere I could actually see and touch the Rosewill case in person....since I had decided I liked the CoolerMaster 690ii but once I saw it in person it just felt big.

microcenter stocks the NZXT gamma, you can go there and kick the tires the around since they are the same case.
m
l
December 4, 2010 3:42:02 AM

Yeah and I see they also carry the NZXT Beta Evo.

Looks like a trip to MicroCenter in my future then.......
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:10:55 PM

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but its early January so I thought I'd chime in about the Rosewill Challenger just in case you hadn't made your decision yet.

I just unboxed mine about 15 minutes ago and I'm happy with my decision. When I'm building offroad bumpers for a Jeep I'm worried about having a solid steel construction, but when it comes to a desktop case I think you will be happy with the rigidity of the case. People lead you to think the case is flimsy and that is not true at all.

I've owned cases that were certainly more rigid, but unless you are going to use your case as a work bench then you should be fine. As far as cable management, I don't even know what to compare it to.

As far as the fans being poor quality...goto newegg and check reviews. I was actually impressed with the ratings the front fan got so I bought two additional blue LED fans for the side of the case. They are the highest rated 120mm fan on newegg. (I'm referring to the front fan)

I can't compare to the other cases you were looking at but this is what I can tell you about the rosewill.
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:24:02 PM

Thanks! I did buy it a few weeks back when it went on sale. I opened it out of the box (haven't built yet) and I really think its a nice unit! For $39.99 I think its an awesome deal, and I don't quite get all the hype about the Antec 300 when compared to this Rosewill, personally.
m
l
!