Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Backing up hardrives then upgrading motherboards - driver problems?

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2012 3:09:32 PM

I'm planning on getting a new motherboard (and as a result a new CPU ) this weekend and was told I'd have to reinstall my OS if I was going to change motherboards. If I back up my current info ( OS, misc programs ) , install a new OS will I still be able to acess the infromation from m yback up? Will the older drivers conflict with the newer ones?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 21, 2012 3:47:05 PM

you will have to do a fresh install of OS and programs. What you need to backup is your contacts, bookmarks, Documents, database, stuff like that.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 21, 2012 3:55:47 PM

You'll need to buy a fresh copy of Windows since the license is tied to the motherboard if your currenty copy is purchased OEM or came with a prebuilt. Only way it is reusable is if it a full version.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2012 4:07:27 PM

Where are you planning to back up to, external USB HDD or USB thumb drive? Be sure to back up to another media source than the hard drive you will be reinstalling your operating system to. What program are you planning to use for making the back ups? Depending on the amount of data you will need to back up, you may be able to copy and paste to the external back up drive. I also recommend downloading all the required hardware drivers from the manufactures website(s) and include them on the same external drive as your backups.
m
l
December 21, 2012 4:21:47 PM

BwwwJ1st said:
Where are you planning to back up to, external USB HDD or USB thumb drive? Be sure to back up to another media source than the hard drive you will be reinstalling your operating system to. What program are you planning to use for making the back ups? Depending on the amount of data you will need to back up, you may be able to copy and paste to the external back up drive. I also recommend downloading all the required hardware drivers from the manufactures website(s) and include them on the same external drive as your backups.

Ill be backing up to an older Hard Drive that ill be formatting. What program am I planning to use for making the back ups? I'm not sure yet.

Ill have around 60gb to back up.
m
l
a c 316 à CPUs
a c 245 V Motherboard
a c 171 G Storage
December 21, 2012 4:52:38 PM

If you are now using windows 7, there is a good chance that windows will boot when you swap out the motherboard and cpu.
If so, then all you will need to do is to update the chipset drivers which will come in your motherboard package and reactivate.

If your windows copy is retail or upgrade, no problem. If it is oem, give it a try anyway. MS is lenient about activating an oem license on a replacement for a damaged motherboard. The key question to answer is to assure them that this copy of the os is only being used on this one pc.

It would be prudent to protect yourself first.
Use windows easy transfer to export your files and settings.
If you need to do a clean install, you can then import them back. Apps will need to be reinstalled.
Do not have any drive other than the "C" drive connected otherwise windows will try to install a hidden recovery partition on it.
And yes, files on an old hard drive will still be accessible when you reconnect later.

Might this not be a good opportunity to upgrade to a SSD for the "C" drive?
m
l
December 21, 2012 5:09:50 PM

geofelt said:
If you are now using windows 7, there is a good chance that windows will boot when you swap out the motherboard and cpu.
If so, then all you will need to do is to update the chipset drivers which will come in your motherboard package and reactivate.

If your windows copy is retail or upgrade, no problem. If it is oem, give it a try anyway. MS is lenient about activating an oem license on a replacement for a damaged motherboard. The key question to answer is to assure them that this copy of the os is only being used on this one pc.

It would be prudent to protect yourself first.
Use windows easy transfer to export your files and settings.
If you need to do a clean install, you can then import them back. Apps will need to be reinstalled.
Do not have any drive other than the "C" drive connected otherwise windows will try to install a hidden recovery partition on it.
And yes, files on an old hard drive will still be accessible when you reconnect later.

Might this not be a good opportunity to upgrade to a SSD for the "C" drive?

I'm using windows 7 so I'll give it a shot with the new motherboard and CPU.

I'll probably contact Microsoft is any issues arise with activities my OEM license.

I actually have my os on a SSD ( and my steam games on a second )
m
l
December 27, 2012 11:25:56 PM

Best answer selected by Daratum.
m
l
!