Bios Instructions

Overlap12

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I've tried a hand at building my first pc and all the assembly has been fine, but now that it's come time to boot my new pc I'm at a loss as far the next steps to take. I turned on the pc and inserted the cd that came with the MOBO, and my pc began to POST but then gave me an error message that my HDD is not being detected. I checked the HDD connections and that my HDD was properly connected to the 3 gb sata port (as opposed to the 6 gb ones). I then turned off the PC, turned it back on and selected to enter the BIOS setup (hit DEL) instead of allowing the BIOS to post. In the BIOS menu I can see the components being recognized (among them my new HDD), so I'm not sure why the BIOS is not recognizing the HDD during the post process. Do I have to format the HDD to get the post to recognize it? I thought that was done when the OS is installed? Since I'm really new to this whole process, am I missing something completely? Can anyone post a link to a guide of how to setup my bios and OS? I've read the mobo instructions extensively but since my POST is not working I'm not sure about the next step to take. Do I insert the windows 7 disc and try to install the OS? Do I try to update the BIOS using a USB stick?

Thanks for anyone help you can provide!

System Specs:
MSI N470GTX-M2D12-B GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 (in SLI)
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler
LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22LS50 LightScribe Support - OEM
LG Black Blu-ray Burner WH10LS30 LightScribe Support
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
ASUS VE276Q Black 27" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Display Port & Speakers

Solution
Yes, insert the windows 7 disc and try to install the OS. Right now there's nothing for your computer to do after it starts up; it's looking for an OS to boot up. If the windows 7 installer doesn't find any discs, then you have a problem.

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, insert the windows 7 disc and try to install the OS. Right now there's nothing for your computer to do after it starts up; it's looking for an OS to boot up. If the windows 7 installer doesn't find any discs, then you have a problem.

Solution