1366 Motherboard

G

Which 1366 motherboard for ~250$

Tell me your thoughts becouse i have seen all of those and can't decide :S

good ram recommends would be nice too :)

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Corsair Dominators and G.Skill Ripjaws have been very popular lately - Rampage is worth the extra cash IMO (ive tried the ud3r - terrible board...) for support and ease of setup as well as performance (which is sort of a given)...

G

Rampage III gene?
-its not ATX
-no usb 3.0 sata6gb/s
what about P6X58d-e?

actually OC is not important,
but ram speed?

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Rampage III gene?
-its not ATX
-no usb 3.0 sata6gb/s
what about P6X58d-e?

actually OC is not important,
but ram speed?
You never said you wanted a full ATX Mobo. The Rampage III uATX does have both USB 3.0 & also SATA III (if not native). Please go through the specsheet. It's absolutely by far the best option at your price point. I should know. I'm using one myself.

Now if you're not into OC'ing, (& even if you are) save some money & go with the ASUS Sabertooth X58. It really is the P6X58 at a lower price point. The only drawback IMO - It can't hold a candle to the ROG series boards in terms of looks.

RAM - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB)

G

oke, ASUS Rampage III Gene, i have to put there GTX 275 and maybe SLI in future. But main problem will be: Zalman 9700LED wont fit probably?:p

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
2 things - You'll need this $9 Clip Support Kit to install the said Zalman cooler on 1366.

Secondly - You won't need any aftermarket cooler if you don't OC. Even a small bump in the clock speed doesn't warrant an aftermarket cooler. Also, you have other cooling options at different price points.

$30 - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

$80 - Noctua NH-D14. For very high OC's, the later is very highly recommended. For reasonable OC's the the Hyper 212+ is all you'll need.

Now for SLI, prolly the Sabertooth is a good idea, 'coz the Micro ATX by definition, is gonna run a bit on the hotter side, if the airflow is not adequate. What case do you have in mind?

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Cooler - The Zalman 9700 is alright, but you'll have to buy that $9 bracket I linked, to mount it on the 1366 socket.

Case - Personally, I've no experience with NZXT, but I checked out the specs & they looked alright to me. Maybe somebody else who's used one of those can guide you better. However, it costs a whopping $120 incl. shipping. That's a whole lotta dough to shell out for a mid-tower though.

So if you don't have that case already, for $10 extra (incl shipping), you might wanna look at $130 - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 ATX Full Tower

Or, save some money & go with the Mid-Tower younger sibling - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 - $90 + $10 shipping.

Now for the Mobo - The only reason to get the Rampage formula over the Sabertooth/Gene is if you want Tri-SLI. Otherwise, really, the killer looks notwithstanding, it doesn't make much sense to look beyond the Sabertooth. If you want your build to look bada$$, the Gene is a definite option.

In any case, the Formula will downgrade 1600 Mhz RAM to 1333 without OC. The specs definitely are pretty good, but almost identical to the Sabertooth/Gene. It ain't worth the extra $100/$60 IMO. YMMV.