Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GTX 480 or Radeon HD 5970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2010 7:23:18 PM

Hello everyone :) 

I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I purchased a GeForce GTX 480 graphics card last week and am impressed with the performance to a degree (more on that in a minute), but the heat it generates is unreal! Apparently it's common for it to run around 95-100 degrees C under load, which is a huge change for me coming from a GeForce 9600 GT.

So my first question to those that have a Radeon HD 5970 - can I expect the same kind of heat generation under load as the GeForce GTX 480 (and noise level from fan speeds as well)?

Second, I'm still an avid Final Fantasy XI player and there seems to be a driver issue with the GeForce GTX 480 with this game (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=166243). My GeForce 9600 GT GREATLY out performes the 480 in this game. However, I am also looking for a video card that will perform well in Final Fantasy XIV, which the 480seems to do based on the benchmark tool (but again gets very hot).

So question number two - is anyone currently playing Final Fantasy XI with a Radeon HD 5970? If so, how does it run for you in terms of frame rate, especially in large group situations like dynamis or abyssea?

And last, what manufacturer would you recommend for a Radeon HD 5970? I'm looking for one that has a good track record and excellent customer service.

Thank you all in advance for your time! It's greatly appreciated :D 
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 9:15:39 PM

Heat and noise are comparable with the H5970 being marginally better for the HD5970 on temperature, and better on the GTX480 for noise: but performance is better on the HD5970 so you're getting more from that heat/noise;

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

But the big drawback is it's big and costs noticeably more money.
August 5, 2010 3:46:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My biggest concern was the heat generation really, so if the 5970 puts out more or less the same amount of heat, then I may as well stick with the 480 and save a couple hundred dollars :-)

Thanks again!
!