Is there a difference between laptop llano's memory controllers

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
According the amd's website the difference laptop llano models are compatable with different memory frequecies. The A8-3500M is compatable with ddr3 1333 while the A8-3510MX supports ddr3 1600. From my experience with the phenom II's memory controller anything above its supported ddr3 1333 would give diminishing returns per htz increase. I was wondering if the models of the laptop llano apu's have different memory controllers which seems so due to amd description. Or is it that the memory controllers are same and this memory support differentitation is there to be able to market the higher end apu's. The information that I want seems technical since you need to actually know what is in the chip, would there be a place on the net to find this information.

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
But at the amd website certain models have a listed support for only 1333. This is confusing since it could mean that the the integrated memory contoller is different on certain models. What is strange is that if you look at the hd 6620g apu's the one with 3500m cpu has 1333 ddr3 support. I am assuming all the apu's with the hd 6620g are the same die but with different clocks. Is the 1333 ddr3 support for the 3500m just an attempt to market the higher end apu's but in reality they have the same integrated memory contoller? Here is a link to there llano product list.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/apu/mainstream/Pages/mainstream.aspx#3

seeratlas

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Ok, here's the deal, the "mx" apus CAN use 1600 speed ram, HOWEVER, the issue is how the 1600 ram is configured. HP's units will NOT read the Intel spec XMP extensions where the 1600 timings are located. However, they WILL read and automatically run 1600 speed ram if the 1600 timings are burned into a regular JDEC mem location. The problem is trying to find suitable ram. As far as I know the only currently available modules that will work automatically are 2x2 sets of certain Gskill mem.

seer