Sign in with
Your question

Multiple OS(es) on multiple drives.

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2012 11:32:32 PM

Hello all,

Just a quick question for you guys out there. I'm not sure if I am in the wrong forum or what not but here goes.

Basically I am wanting to have 2 OSes in one machine. Like Windows and Linux, but I'm not really wanting to do the whole Live CD thing, or partition a drive that already has Windows installed on it.

I am wondering the best way to like... Do this...In my newbidity I'm thinking I can have two HDDs or SSDs and like have one OS on one of them, and another OS on another.

Maybe I am not grasping the whole concept here but I'm assuming I could do this.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

a c 102 G Storage
December 22, 2012 12:06:07 AM

Yep, I'm doing exactly that.
Windows on my SSD and Ubuntu on a spare HDD I had laying around.

Its fairly simple to do. Stick one drive in the machine, install Windows. Pull that out, stick new drive in, Install Linux. Then connect both of them up and configure the BIOS it so that it defaults to the OS of your choice.
m
l
a c 156 G Storage
December 22, 2012 12:09:32 AM

manofchalk said:
Yep, I'm doing exactly that.
Windows on my SSD and Ubuntu on a spare HDD I had laying around.

Its fairly simple to do. Stick one drive in the machine, install Windows. Pull that out, stick new drive in, Install Linux. Then connect both of them up and configure the BIOS it so that it defaults to the OS of your choice.

Most important part EVER. Other OSes have a habit of overwriting boot loaders found on other drives(not even sure why, not like you tell it to use that drive at all).

Most of the newer boards allow you to hit F8 on post then will give you a boot list as well so you can select the drive you want to boot off of after everything is all installed and running.
m
l
Related resources
December 22, 2012 12:17:40 AM

Right on. That's basically what I'm wanting to do. I have an iMac and I'm wanting to build a PC in a couple of months. I like being able to use multiple OSes instead of just being stuck to one you know?

Thanks for the info!
m
l
a c 156 G Storage
December 22, 2012 12:30:27 AM

Yup, just follow manofchalk's post and all will be good. and if you mess up on os, chances are the other will be fully unaffected. I have Win7 + 8 this way, but added Win8 to the 7 load and 7 to the 8 loader so it does not matter what drive boots :) 

When my 8 dev preview expires, Linux may take its place :) 
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:24:14 PM

Right on. I like not being tied to just one OS I'm kinda not a fanboy of anything. Most people think your like only Apple or only Windows or whatever. I just like being able to enjoy all of them.

Speaking of Windows on my new build I'm wondering if I should just stick with 7 or jump into 8.

8 seems pretty cool, I messed around with the preview build or whatever and seems interesting, but I'm not sure compatibility wise if it's another "vista" or whatever. I seem to get mixed feelings there seems to be just as many people wanting to use 8 (or using it) as there are people hating it and waiting for Windows 9 or whatever the heck is next.
m
l
a c 156 G Storage
December 22, 2012 3:02:13 PM

Many users hate change(start screen vs start menu). I think that is the big one.

Vista's biggest problem was new drivers had to be written for video(this was much different and caused lots of stability issues) and audio(this was different, but seemed to get drivers quick enough) + 64 bit was still new-ish(64 bit XP had lots of issues too). On top of that many pc makers sold very under powered systems(with low amounts of memory too) with Vista installed.

By the time Windows 7 was out drivers had lots of time to mature and become stable.

Windows 8 has some minor driver changes again, but most Windows 7 drivers work with it.

I just hope MS does not drop Win8 support the way they did with Vista. I mean you can't even get the latest versions of IE or anything on Vista and its not THAT old.
m
l
a c 102 G Storage
December 22, 2012 10:03:18 PM

I would go to Win8, its the newest OS so it will have support the longest. It also supports more than 16GB of RAM out of the box, you don't need to buy Professional.

About the start *cough*Metro*cough* screen, its now possible to divert it entirely and boot straight to the desktop. You can even get the start menu back through 3rd party software.
As far as compatibility, I dont think there are many issues.
m
l
a c 156 G Storage
December 22, 2012 11:44:50 PM

manofchalk said:
I would go to Win8, its the newest OS so it will have support the longest. It also supports more than 16GB of RAM out of the box, you don't need to buy Professional.

About the start *cough*Metro*cough* screen, its now possible to divert it entirely and boot straight to the desktop. You can even get the start menu back through 3rd party software.
As far as compatibility, I dont think there are many issues.

Ok THAT I did not know. I just wish they kept Media Center as an included program not an add-on.
m
l
!