AM2 chip works, 2 AM3's won't even POST

sphaller

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello,

I was running a stable system using this setup for a year and change. Gigabyte GA_MA790x-UDP4 Motherboard, Phenom II X4 940 Black Ed., 4GB Corsair DDR2.

Recently, the board wont POST, and I get nothing with the 940 installed, but can boot and run with an old AM2 Athlon XP4200+ chip, which works fine. I've tested pretty damn near everything I can and have also tried a brand new X3 970, which behaved much like the other socket AM3 processor that won't POST.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm assuming it's the board, unless I got extremely unlucky and received a DOA processor with respect to the X3 970.

Basically trying to make it work with a processor that isn't from 2004 (stamp date). Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, welcome to the Guide.

If there was something wrong with the CPU, you would normally hear a beeping noise from the BIOS. I would ask if you have overclocked. If so, you have fried the transistors along the way. Your CPU would be dead, in that case.

sphaller

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I have not OC'd the new CPU (X3) at all, it came stock out of the box and was behaving like this. I only played around minimally with the X4 940 that was the initial cause of the problem. At the time of the issue that was running at factory specs. I'm not getting any sort of POST beep codes. As follows:

Athlon XP 4200 - Socket AM2 - Boots clean and normally
Phenom II X3 970 - Socket AM3 - Fails to do anything save for having electricity running through it.
Phenom II X4 940 Black - Socket AM2+ - Fails to do anything save for having electricity running through it.

I think your motherboard cannot run Phenoms at all. I believe it is not 'compatible' but that is just speculation right now. do you have any Athlons or Phenoms lying around in your place, or do you have a buddy who could lend you a couple of his CPU's to test out?

sphaller

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

The Phenom x4 940 Black was the CPU I was running in it for a year and a half with that motherboard, so I know it can handle the processor. I've tried the latest BIOS to see if that helps, it doesn't. The Gigabyte site says the Phenom II's are supported and mentions both by name, which is why I've been quite confused.

Didn't know if it was possible to lose the ability to handle one of the socket types.

sphaller

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

I'll give it another shot, but tried with both the F8 and F10a versions the other night.

sphaller

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

Right. This was mindboggling to me as well as anyone I brought it up to. The X3 works in the new motherboard I picked up, so it must have been some quirk with the board. I tried the BIOS updates again and they didn't do anything. I'm just going to turn it into an HTPC until it dies I guess.