Can I install higher speed DDR SDRAM

cloud9ine

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Hello,
I am working on 2 identical old desktops (eMachines T2958) to make them into some lower load servers to mess with. The machines come with 512 MB of RAM and can go up to 1 GB so I am planning on purchasing another GB of ram to install so each has 1 GB of RAM.

Checking Newegg for 1 GB sets in DDR, if I match the speed (PC2700), the lowest available is about $46. However going to the higher PC3200, I can find pairs for $30.

The question is, Can I install these higher speed sticks on these machines? Would it be wise to move the old (matching) sticks to one machine, and stick the new ones in another?

Any guidance would be great. Thanks.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Personally I would put the 4 old sticks in one computer and the new 4 in another, because it is best not to mix speeds if you can avoid it. It sounds like they are pre-built machines so they probably can't go faster then PC2700 (if this is the case you can use 400Mhz, it will just run at the same speed 333MHz).

You can mix and match as you please because I don't think anything will get damaged if you try different combinations, it just might not work. Since there is no benefit of mixing them, then what's the point.

Also, RAM comes in kits for a reason, so your best chance of the new ram working is if you put all 4 in the same computer. Also who knows, maybe those pre-built systems can run at 400MHz. Even assuming they can, if you put 2 old and 2 new in each system, they will have to run at the slower speed (333MHz). Basically, put the new kit in one computer and take the 2 old modules from that computer and put them in the second computer.

This is just my understanding of how it works. I could be wrong in one or more of these statements (I still don't think I am wrong though), I only answered because it has been 4 days and no one else did.