Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT. Please Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2010 10:01:41 PM

Hey all, I'm new to the forums and not too knowledgable with computer parts but needless to say, I want to upgrade my graphics card. A while ago I installed an Nvidia Geforce 9500GT. The card is of average performance. I am not a hardcore gamer but when I do play PC games I love to play with all the graphical settings on max and still maintain a great frame rate (at least 40). The game I play the most is The Sims 3 and some other mmorpgs. My computer is running Windows 7 with 4gb ram and the processor is an AMD Athlon II X2 215 (2.7 GHZ). I have a LCD Monitor with a native resolution of 1600X900 so a card that could handle playing at this resolution with ease would be great. I realize I would also need to upgrade my PSU which I had previously upgraded to a 350w. I am looking to spend around $150-200. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
August 4, 2010 10:06:58 PM

Is $150-200 final budget for both psu and gpu? If for just the gpu, I'd recommend any hd5770 for the games and resolution you play at. It'll do fine with a 500w-550w psu if your'e not OCing.
m
l
August 4, 2010 10:15:04 PM

The price I mentioned is just for the graphics card...Thanks a lot for your quick reply! I'll look into that one now
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2010 10:40:16 PM

thanks baddad I'll check that one out too
m
l
August 4, 2010 11:35:33 PM

I've never heard of that manufacturer, and from what I understand, a psu is the last thing you want to skimp on since it can damage/kill parts if it ever malfunctions. I personally stick to antec, although lately I'm considering giving corsair or coolermaster a shot as I'm also looking for a new power supply. Are you partial to amazon because newegg.com has a great selection of psu's. I think I saw an antec modular 550w for 64.99. Maybe someone else can chime in as far as the brand you linked.
m
l
August 4, 2010 11:41:44 PM

yes you do make a really good point...hm I never thought of using newegg...I was gonna order the card off amazon because they have it for $169.99 and I'm seeing a lot of sites have it for $199 so I figured I'd get the psu from there as well but I'll check it out now...thanks! and if anyone else knows about diablotek psu's it would be great
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 5:45:44 AM

When you do get the 5770, I would suggest that you overclock the Athlon II.
m
l
August 5, 2010 6:05:19 AM

I wanted to install his hd 5750 card in my computer.There isnt any graphic card installed on my motherboard.So i wont need to do any complicated steps like driver sweeper and all that stuff right?
m
l
August 5, 2010 10:22:39 AM

I ended up purchasing the Corsair 550w PSU and the ATI Radeon HD 5770. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone! I really appreciate the suggestion about the PSU Doom3klr. Tamz-msc, I'm new to a lot of the PC technical stuff so I was curious as to how I could go about overclocking my processor. MaxPayne94, No if you don't have any cards that have been previously installed besides the integrated, you should be good to go but maybe someone else could give you a definitive answer. I'm going to have to uninstall the old Nvidia drivers off my computer when the new card arrives, which I hope won't be too difficult! :sol: 
m
l
a c 197 U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 12:42:07 PM

Whew! I saw some absolutely fecal PSUs being linked up there; glad to see you chose a good one. At the very least, a PSU should have full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and be 80+ certified for efficiency. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands.

Maxpayne, that would be a good question to use to start your own thread.
m
l
August 5, 2010 10:51:12 PM

lol yeah jtt282, I looked into the popular psu brands and I heard the most good about corsair. Even though it was a bit more expensive then a lot of the other brands, I decided to go with it. I really appreciate everyone's input and advice! :) 
m
l
!