Network places problem

I am on ADSL always on. When I open network I can't find anything, also
when I check in system to see if my Ethernet card is working it is not even
shown, although it is all working and I am able to use the net. If I try
ipconfig, it shows all the information but I can't find it in windows so
that I can adjust the properties. I am using XP Pro. Can anyone help
please?
5 answers Last reply
More about network places problem

    Why would you want to change properties if everything is working ??

    You can find some of the settings by using Start ---> settings - network
    connection and then right click on the connection icon.

    Some of the settings can be found by using Start -->control panel --->System
    Icon.
    Then click on computer name

    And the ones for the interface card itself by clicking on hardware -->
    device manager and expanding network adapters.

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
    >I am on ADSL always on. When I open network I can't find anything, also
    >when I check in system to see if my Ethernet card is working it is not even
    >shown, although it is all working and I am able to use the net. If I try
    >ipconfig, it shows all the information but I can't find it in windows so
    >that I can adjust the properties. I am using XP Pro. Can anyone help
    >please?

    That is my point, I have tried all that you have suggested and cannot find
    an icon.

    "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
    > Why would you want to change properties if everything is working ??
    >
    > You can find some of the settings by using Start ---> settings - network
    > connection and then right click on the connection icon.
    >
    > Some of the settings can be found by using Start -->control
    > panel --->System Icon.
    > Then click on computer name
    >
    > And the ones for the interface card itself by clicking on hardware -->
    > device manager and expanding network adapters.
    >
    > --
    > Jon Hildrum
    > DTS MVP
    > Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    > www.hildrum.com
    > "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
    >>I am on ADSL always on. When I open network I can't find anything, also
    >>when I check in system to see if my Ethernet card is working it is not
    >>even shown, although it is all working and I am able to use the net. If
    >>I try ipconfig, it shows all the information but I can't find it in
    >>windows so that I can adjust the properties. I am using XP Pro. Can
    >>anyone help please?

    The icon is likely to say something like

    Local area connection (and it might provide the interface card below)

    --
    > That is my point, I have tried all that you have suggested and cannot find
    > an icon.
    >
    > "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
    >> Why would you want to change properties if everything is working ??
    >>
    >> You can find some of the settings by using Start ---> settings - network
    >> connection and then right click on the connection icon.
    >>
    >> Some of the settings can be found by using Start -->control
    >> panel --->System Icon.
    >> Then click on computer name
    >>
    >> And the ones for the interface card itself by clicking on hardware -->
    >> device manager and expanding network adapters.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jon Hildrum
    >> DTS MVP
    >> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    >> www.hildrum.com
    >> "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
    >>>I am on ADSL always on. When I open network I can't find anything, also
    >>>when I check in system to see if my Ethernet card is working it is not
    >>>even shown, although it is all working and I am able to use the net. If
    >>>I try ipconfig, it shows all the information but I can't find it in
    >>>windows so that I can adjust the properties. I am using XP Pro. Can
    >>>anyone help please?

    This is my point, I know what the icon might say, but there is no icon,
    neither is there an entry in system/hardware for my card, yet still it
    works!

    "" wrote:
    > This is my point, I know what the icon might say, but there is
    > no icon,
    > neither is there an entry in system/hardware for my card, yet
    > still it
    > works!
    >
    > "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
    > > The icon is likely to say something like
    > >
    > > Local area connection (and it might provide the interface
    > card below)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jon Hildrum
    > > DTS MVP
    > > Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    > > www.hildrum.com
    > > "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
    > >> That is my point, I have tried all that you have suggested
    > and cannot
    > >> find an icon.
    > >>
    > >> "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
    > working ??

    > settings - network

    > -->control

    > hardware -->

    > anything,
    > working it is
    > to use the net.
    > can't find it in
    > XP Pro. Can

    You sure it’s ethernet?

    The "symptoms" you describe make me think that it’s a USB adapter,
    with some kind of specilizsed software which removes the need for a
    network interface compleatly.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Network-places-problem-ftopict398710.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318579

Configuration Windows XP