Network places problem

Barrie

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

I am on ADSL always on. When I open network I can't find anything, also
when I check in system to see if my Ethernet card is working it is not even
shown, although it is all working and I am able to use the net. If I try
ipconfig, it shows all the information but I can't find it in windows so
that I can adjust the properties. I am using XP Pro. Can anyone help
please?

Why would you want to change properties if everything is working ??

You can find some of the settings by using Start ---> settings - network
connection and then right click on the connection icon.

Some of the settings can be found by using Start -->control panel --->System
Icon.
Then click on computer name

And the ones for the interface card itself by clicking on hardware -->
device manager and expanding network adapters.

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
>I am on ADSL always on. When I open network I can't find anything, also
>when I check in system to see if my Ethernet card is working it is not even
>shown, although it is all working and I am able to use the net. If I try
>ipconfig, it shows all the information but I can't find it in windows so
>that I can adjust the properties. I am using XP Pro. Can anyone help
>please?

Barrie

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

That is my point, I have tried all that you have suggested and cannot find
an icon.

"Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
> Why would you want to change properties if everything is working ??
>
> You can find some of the settings by using Start ---> settings - network
> connection and then right click on the connection icon.
>
> Some of the settings can be found by using Start -->control
> panel --->System Icon.
> Then click on computer name
>
> And the ones for the interface card itself by clicking on hardware -->
> device manager and expanding network adapters.
>
> --
> Jon Hildrum
> DTS MVP
> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
> www.hildrum.com
> "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
>>I am on ADSL always on. When I open network I can't find anything, also
>>when I check in system to see if my Ethernet card is working it is not
>>even shown, although it is all working and I am able to use the net. If
>>I try ipconfig, it shows all the information but I can't find it in
>>windows so that I can adjust the properties. I am using XP Pro. Can
>>anyone help please?

The icon is likely to say something like

Local area connection (and it might provide the interface card below)

--
> That is my point, I have tried all that you have suggested and cannot find
> an icon.
>
> "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
>> Why would you want to change properties if everything is working ??
>>
>> You can find some of the settings by using Start ---> settings - network
>> connection and then right click on the connection icon.
>>
>> Some of the settings can be found by using Start -->control
>> panel --->System Icon.
>> Then click on computer name
>>
>> And the ones for the interface card itself by clicking on hardware -->
>> device manager and expanding network adapters.
>>
>> --
>> Jon Hildrum
>> DTS MVP
>> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
>> www.hildrum.com
>> "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
>>>I am on ADSL always on. When I open network I can't find anything, also
>>>when I check in system to see if my Ethernet card is working it is not
>>>even shown, although it is all working and I am able to use the net. If
>>>I try ipconfig, it shows all the information but I can't find it in
>>>windows so that I can adjust the properties. I am using XP Pro. Can
>>>anyone help please?

Barrie

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

This is my point, I know what the icon might say, but there is no icon,
neither is there an entry in system/hardware for my card, yet still it
works!

> The icon is likely to say something like
>
> Local area connection (and it might provide the interface card below)
>
> --
> Jon Hildrum
> DTS MVP
> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
> www.hildrum.com
> "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
>> That is my point, I have tried all that you have suggested and cannot
>> find an icon.
>>
>> "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
>>> Why would you want to change properties if everything is working ??
>>>
>>> You can find some of the settings by using Start ---> settings - network
>>> connection and then right click on the connection icon.
>>>
>>> Some of the settings can be found by using Start -->control
>>> panel --->System Icon.
>>> Then click on computer name
>>>
>>> And the ones for the interface card itself by clicking on hardware -->
>>> device manager and expanding network adapters.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jon Hildrum
>>> DTS MVP
>>> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
>>> www.hildrum.com
>>> "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> This is my point, I know what the icon might say, but there is
> no icon,
> neither is there an entry in system/hardware for my card, yet
> still it
> works!
>
> "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
> > The icon is likely to say something like
> >
> > Local area connection (and it might provide the interface
> card below)
> >
> > --
> > Jon Hildrum
> > DTS MVP
> > Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
> > www.hildrum.com
> > "barrie" <basser@tiscali.es> wrote in message
> >> That is my point, I have tried all that you have suggested
> and cannot
> >> find an icon.
> >>
> >> "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
> working ??

> settings - network

> -->control

> hardware -->

> anything,
> working it is
> to use the net.
> can't find it in
> XP Pro. Can

You sure it’s ethernet?

The "symptoms" you describe make me think that it’s a USB adapter,
with some kind of specilizsed software which removes the need for a
network interface compleatly.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Network-places-problem-ftopict398710.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318579