Sign in with
Your question

What components define screen resolution?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 10:32:06 PM

Hi All.
I have several Dell Inspiron 9100/XPS computers- some just for parts. I would like to swap the lower resolution WSXGA display on a nice working computer for the higher WUXGA display on a "parts" computer. My question is, what components define the screen resolution and need to be transfered along with the LCD screen itself. Is the inverter specific for screen resolution? I don't believe the video card needs to be swapped, as both computers have the Radeon 9700. Drivers, perhaps? Other hardware?

Thanks!
---Garywed
August 4, 2010 10:45:55 PM

screen size, graphics card, drivers.
m
l
a c 542 U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 11:01:11 PM

Just the LCD screen and the appropriate video and power cable need to be transferred. If you have a driver file for the LCD screen it can be installed after the move.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 12:23:03 AM

OK, Thanks. What about the inverter- does that match a specific LCD screen, or is it sort of generic?
m
l
a c 542 U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 12:51:52 AM

Quote:
OK, Thanks. What about the inverter- does that match a specific LCD screen, or is it sort of generic?

What do you mean by an inverter? Are you saying that this WUXGA LCD monitor uses an external power brick? If that's what you're saying, then yes, it must also be moved with the monitor.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 1:56:58 AM

The inverter board is a small strip that sits between the LCD screen and the motherboard; it provides power to the LCDs. Inverter boards are obviously a necessary component- the screen goes blank without one- but my question is, on the Dell Inspiron 9100 (or XPS) with 15.4" screen, does one size inverter fit all, or are they specific- one inverter for the WUXGA screen, another for the WSXGA screen, etc?

You can see an inverter board on eBay now at (the url is all one http line):

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-15-4-DELL-Inspiron-8500-8600-91...

Thanks!
m
l
!