Gpu doesn't fit inside case

japples

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Hello, I recently ordered a

ASUS ENGT240/DI/1GD3/A GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

From newegg, when it arrived, I tried to install it into my hp pavilion slimline 5213w that I got for Christmas, it didn't fit. What should I do now, get a new case? or should I just take all of the components and try to make a new pc from scratch? This is my first time working with computers.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Well that's a bit of a problem there... Is there anyway you can move stuff around make it fit?

If you're not afraid to move everything around, it could be possible to move everything to another case. I know everything would fit since it's pretty much all standardized, but it might be difficult finding a case big enough for your 240 that can also fit your power supply, if it's not standard size.

Can you link us to the product page for your HP, so we can see specs?

D

Deleted member 362816

Interesting first off its a slim line there is no way that the power supply that comes with it can even power that card in the first place. those cases need low low profiles cards which are crap. i would get a better power supply and move everything into a new case that would be the best way to do it.

1. The card will not fit in the HP case. It is a "full height" video card. You need a "low profile" video card.
2. The power supply is too weak to power the GT 240.

Your choices are as follows:

1. Return the GT 240 and get a "Low Profile" HD 5570.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161345

Is it more powerful than the GT 240? No, but you will be able to run it on a 220w PSU.

2a. Buy a "full size ATX" case or "mATX" case. Call HP and ask if the motherboard will fit into one of those case types.
2b. Buy at least a 350w - 500w power supply. The more powerful the PSU, the more options you have for future upgrade possibilities. But don't go overboard and don't go with the cheapest you can buy. You may regret that decision it the PSU fails and damages some or all your computer components.