Seagate external HDD Temperature question.

sonic-x

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi,

I purchased a 2TB seagate external hdd to use with my DVR, because it's a new hard drive and I don't want to loose any files stored on it I thought I would test its working properly, online someone said to do a full format and while its formatting check it's S.M.AR.T values, the problem is the drive is external so should stau relatively cool but it still seems to be getting too hot, its temperature has risen to 58c during the formatting and that gave a warning with the monitoring software. A

lso in the smart values it states current BE airflow temperature 46, worst = 42, threshold = 45, C2 Temperature, current = 54, worst =60, Threshold = 0.

Does this indicate this HDD has a problem or is this normal?

Thanks

That's normal, because a full format creates an unusual load. The main problem is that your test is useless. The testing you did was already done by seagate, but will give no indication of the future health. If you don't what to loose the data, do a backup frequently.

sonic-x

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Cool, so it's ok atm. Im guessing there's no way of testing its future health just before failure or is that using the smart data again?.

Thanks

smart is supposed to give you a warning in some cases, before the hdd actually dies. In reality that rarely works, as you can see in this forum. hdds tend to fail without warning. The only parameter that makes any sense is the relocation counter, but if that goes up, you already lost the data stored in the relocated sectors.

sonic-x

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Ok, thanks, backups it gonna have to be then :/