Suggested video card for Asus M4A88T-M?

lockindal

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
i am just shopping for a computer upgrade since it has been so long for me and I can only run starcraft 2 at the bare minimums lol. I am looking to get the best bang for buck, so I have selected the following items thus far, and am just looking for a video card now. I have only 400 to play with, and so far I am looking at 300 after shipping. What, if any, video card can I get for 100 bucks or less that will work with my onboard video on the m4a88t-m using the crossfirex technology? I can't find any info on this at all, and I've looked everywhere.

ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 is only 100 bucks and is compatible with new technologies, decent on board video (a little better than the X1600 i still have in my old pc).

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor -- reviews say it is about 70% the power of the phenom II quad-core while being a lot cheaper and I don't want to fool with trying to unlock a dual-core phenom to a quad..

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model -- only $88 with free shipping so this fits in good.

If i have to get something that is stand-alone, I suppose I will, but would prefer to take advantage of the technologies built in to that mobo

majinn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I'm going to assume you're going with a screen resolution of at least 1680x1050.

For $100, I would suggest the Radeon HD 4850 or the GeForce GTS 250.
But I doubt you'll find one of these with 1GB for $100 though. You'll see more of the 512MB versions at the $100 price range.

But if I were you I would try to save up another $40-50 and try to get the Radeon HD 5750 or Radeon HD5770 or something similar. With these cards, you'll need at least a 450W PSU.

lockindal

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Ok, sorry for the lack of info. My budget is $450.

I currently have a Xion II case that came with a 450W PSU. My current computer was built in november of 2006. Ive looked around and it seems 450W / 500W is still pretty standard since a lot of stuff is more efficient now, although please let me know if I'm wrong.

I have rethought mother boards and am now gonna spend an extra $40 to get this since it is on sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631
Still getting the same processor/ram, since they seem like the best deal.

Unfortunately though, due to the fact I will also need to get a new HDD since mine is an IDE drive and the first mother board I selected didn't have any IDE slots, and this one only has one (which i'll need for my DVD-RW drive), I do not have much of anything left over for a new video card; since I will go for a very good HDD since I have to buy one (looking at a 32MB cache on a 7200rpm hdd, like the black caviar or something similar) But the motherboard I selected this time has a much better built-in video card and should be better than my current X1600 no problem. I will buy a new video card/case/psu at a future date, and will probably just get a Radeon HD5750 as suggested.

And whoever guessed a screen res of 1680x1050, hit it on the head, that is my preferred res.

Thank you for the help.