Symbol file missing...

July 21, 2005 3:25:47 PM

Hi!

My computer is stalling and rebooting seemingly unmotivated these days.

I have consulted Dr. Watson and she says:
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll -
funksjon: ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet

--

Regards
Zadig Galbaras

More about : symbol file missing

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:30:10 PM

Sorry about that abrupt sending of an unfinished letter. Here comes the
whole letter... :-(

Hi!

My computer is stalling and rebooting seemingly unmotivated these days.

I have consulted Dr. Watson and she says:
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll - funksjon: ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet

What is a symbol file and how can I fix this file?
I have downloaded and installed WinDbg, but that's way above my league :-)

WindowsXP SP2 Pro Norwegian
On a feisty self built modern noname computer

--

"Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
news:D bnpms$qr2$1@services.kq.no...
> Hi!
>
> My computer is stalling and rebooting seemingly unmotivated these days.
>
> I have consulted Dr. Watson and she says:
> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols
> for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll -
> funksjon: ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:20:34 PM

Same as in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

In my opinion screwing around with Dr. Watson is a waste of time.

How to Install Symbols for Dr. Watson Error Debugging
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141465

HOWTO: Use Rebase to Extract Symbols for DrWtSn32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258205

As near as I can tell, Dr Watson is virtually worthless without the symbols.
Download Windows Symbol Packages
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/symbolpkg.m...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D bnq2c$sqg$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D bnpv3$sba$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Sorry about that abrupt sending of an unfinished letter. Here comes the
> whole letter... :-(
>
> Hi!
>
> My computer is stalling and rebooting seemingly unmotivated these days.
>
> I have consulted Dr. Watson and she says:
> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols
> for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll - funksjon: ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
>
> What is a symbol file and how can I fix this file?
> I have downloaded and installed WinDbg, but that's way above my league :-)
>
> WindowsXP SP2 Pro Norwegian
> On a feisty self built modern noname computer
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
> news:D bnpms$qr2$1@services.kq.no...
>> Hi!
>>
>> My computer is stalling and rebooting seemingly unmotivated these days.
>>
>> I have consulted Dr. Watson and she says:
>> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols
>> for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll -
>> funksjon: ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
July 22, 2005 5:46:37 AM

Downloading file now....
I have picked my computer apart and reassembled it again, and checked the
RAM strips one by one.
What made me squint hatefully towards the hardware was the fact that three
hours ago I put in a brand new 80GB harddisk I bought yesterday, formatted
it and installed WINXP.
Even then the same problems occurred!
I am still flabbergasted!!
Therefore I know have taken out three of my four 512MB RAM strips and the
system seems a little more stable, but not cured. But in addition to that I
have also dismantled my SATA2 card and the SATA2 0.5TeraByte harddisk. But
the problem occurred long before that monster was fitted into my new
cabinet.

If that symbol files are so very important to Windows, why aren't problems
like this solved during a "SFC /scannow" session?

The ultimate test is to run Winamp. That provoked an error right away. I run
it three minutes ago, and it produced the error right away.
Will try to reinstall it.
But I am still wondering how this error can prevail in a fresh installation
on a unused harddisk??!??
My AVG viruskiller reports nothing wrong.
My Spyboot Search & Destroy, and his start menu neighbor Spyware Doctor
reports a mean clean computer machine.
The download is now at 41%. The clock is 01:44 AM.
I must be a nerd!!

--

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
news:o a%23t$kijFHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll - funksjon: ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
>>
>> What is a symbol file and how can I fix this file?
>> I have downloaded and installed WinDbg, but that's way above my league
>> :-)
>>
>> WindowsXP SP2 Pro Norwegian
>> On a feisty self built modern noname computer
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
>> news:D bnpms$qr2$1@services.kq.no...
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> My computer is stalling and rebooting seemingly unmotivated these days.
>>>
>>> I have consulted Dr. Watson and she says:
>>> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:01:44 AM

Things are looking up...
Uninstalled Winamp, and deleted all it's remaining folders, and reinstalled
with the classic skin, and it run errorless!
Did a reinstall of my Office 2003 too, and now I can run Outlook without
problems.
Can these symbol files be reestablished by reinstalling all the software
having problem with the symbol files?

--

news:D bpc4t$3ao$1@services.kq.no...
> [...]
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D bnpv3$sba$1@services.kq.no,
>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Sorry about that abrupt sending of an unfinished letter. Here comes the
>>> whole letter... :-(
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> My computer is stalling and rebooting seemingly unmotivated these days.
>>>
>>> I have consulted Dr. Watson and she says:
>>> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols
>>> for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll - funksjon: ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
>>>
>>> What is a symbol file and how can I fix this file?
>>> I have downloaded and installed WinDbg, but that's way above my league
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> WindowsXP SP2 Pro Norwegian
>>> On a feisty self built modern noname computer

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:01:45 AM

Interpreting DrWtsn32.log File to Identify Program Crash Data
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q246084/

Dr. Watson also records an
entry in the Event Viewer Application Log containing the program name, date,
time, exception number, exception name, program counter, and function name
at the current program counter, as well as the complete diagnostic
information that was logged for that error.

Event ID & the Event Source are very important.

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | Clcik OK

For any Events that seem related to the problem...

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

Event Viewer overview

This can also be very useful.
You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

To view Windows XP Events and Errors, type the Source (for example, Print)
and/or the Event code (for example, 20) into the ID field, then click the Go
button. Source and Event codes may be found in the Event Viewer logs.

Windows XP Home/Professional Events and Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx...
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D bpd17$797$1@services.kq.no,
> [...]
>> reports a mean clean computer machine.
>> The download is now at 41%. The clock is 01:44 AM.
>> I must be a nerd!!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>> news:o a%23t$kijFHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> Same as in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>>>
>>> In my opinion screwing around with Dr. Watson is a waste of time.
>>>
>>> How to Install Symbols for Dr. Watson Error Debugging
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141465
>>>
>>> HOWTO: Use Rebase to Extract Symbols for DrWtSn32.exe
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258205
>>>
>>> As near as I can tell, Dr Watson is virtually worthless without the

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:18:13 PM

Hi Wesley...

Things are looking up.
During an all-nighter last night, I started to somewhat see a pattern here.
It seems like I have to not only reinstall every problem making software,
but I have to perform a uninstall first.

The problem now is to make my keyboard function during boot up so I can
start this darn thing in security mode.

Thank you very much for showing me the EventViewer.
Right now it is my MSN Messenger which is causing problems.
Have uninstalled it now, and will download and install it in a minute or so.

I'll keep you posted....
--

news:o 1D5mLljFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> that
>>> I have also dismantled my SATA2 card and the SATA2 0.5TeraByte harddisk.
>>> But the problem occurred long before that monster was fitted into my new
>>> cabinet.
>>>
>>> If that symbol files are so very important to Windows, why aren't
>>> problems like this solved during a "SFC /scannow" session?
>>>
>>> The ultimate test is to run Winamp. That provoked an error right away. I
>>> run it three minutes ago, and it produced the error right away.
>>> Will try to reinstall it.
>>> But I am still wondering how this error can prevail in a fresh
>>> installation on a unused harddisk??!??
>>> My AVG viruskiller reports nothing wrong.
>>> My Spyboot Search & Destroy, and his start menu neighbor Spyware Doctor
>>> reports a mean clean computer machine.
>>> The download is now at 41%. The clock is 01:44 AM.

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:33:37 PM

Now the two 80GB and teh 500GB SATA drives are up and runnign smooth.
just minor problems originating from MSN Messenger and Googles Deskbar.

Things are really looknig up.

It seems that errors concerning symbols files are best dealt with by
reinstalling all software causing troubles, OS inculded.

--

news:D bqklm$i2a$1@services.kq.no...
> [...]
>> and/or the Event code (for example, 20) into the ID field, then click the
>> Go
>> button. Source and Event codes may be found in the Event Viewer logs.
>>
>> Windows XP Home/Professional Events and Errors
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx...
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D bpd17$797$1@services.kq.no,
>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Things are looking up...
>>> Uninstalled Winamp, and deleted all it's remaining folders, and
>>> reinstalled with the classic skin, and it run errorless!
>>> Did a reinstall of my Office 2003 too, and now I can run Outlook without
>>> problems.
>>> Can these symbol files be reestablished by reinstalling all the software

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:33:38 PM

Hi Zadig,

Since you seem so interested in Dr. Watson, I'm gonna give you everything I
have on it. I lost interest a long time ago. If I have an application that
keeps crashing, I either uninstall and reinstall it and/or look for updates
for that application.

Dr. Watson Help
%windir%\Help\drwtsn32.chm

Dr. Watson
http://www.wown.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsNT/Registr...

Dr. Watson overview

Setting up Dr. Watson

Working with Dr. Watson

Using Dr. Watson

Using the Dr. Watson log file

How to Install Symbols for Dr. Watson Error Debugging
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141465

HOWTO: Use Rebase to Extract Symbols for DrWtSn32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258205

Download Windows Symbol Packages
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/symbolpkg.m...

Dr. Watson Fails to Appear Because of Long File Names in Path
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175644/

Dr. Watson Does Not Run with Certain Extensible Counters
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q234860/

Dr. Watson Causing Fault in USER32
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175875/

Random Dr. Watson Errors in Services.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q219602/

Error 87 and Dr. Watson
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q162623/

Interpreting DrWtsn32.log File to Identify Program Crash Data
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q246084/

Dr. Watson Log File May Not Contain Task List
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214791

Specifying the Debugger for Unhandled User Mode Exceptions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q121434/

-----

Dr. Watson

Log File Path:
[[The default location is the Documents and Settings\All users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson folder, which is created when you first run Dr.
Watson. Dr. Watson will create the Drwtsn32.log file containing the
diagnostic information about program errors in this folder.]]

Crash Dump:
[[The crash dump file must be specified if you select the Create Crash Dump
File check box. The default is Documents and Settings\All users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp. The crash dump file is a binary file that
can be loaded into a debugger. Click Browse to select a different crash dump
file or location.
Be sure that the path specified is one to which all users have Write
permission. If Dr. Watson cannot use the path specified when a crash dump
file is created, the File Open dialog box appears for you to specify a new
path.]]

Wave File:
[[Dr. Watson uses a WAV file to play a sound when an application error
occurs. The file name must have a .wav extension and must conform to the
Microsoft WAV file format. If you can play a WAV file using Media Player,
the file is a valid WAV file. This option is not available if you do not
have a sound card. Click Browse to locate the WAV file you want to use.]]

? Number of Instructions:
[[Specifies the maximum number of instructions that Dr. Watson will
disassemble before and after the current program counter for each thread
state dump. The program counter is a computer register that contains the
memory location for a thread's current point of execution.]]

? Number of Errors To Save
[[Specifies the maximum number of errors Dr. Watson will record in the log
file. When Dr. Watson detects a program error, extensive diagnostic
information is logged in the Drwtsn32.log file. Dr. Watson also records an
entry in the Event Viewer Application Log containing the program name, date,
time, exception number, exception name, program counter, and function name
at the current program counter, as well as the complete diagnostic
information that was logged for that error.]]

? Dump Symbol Table
[[Specifies whether Dr. Watson dumps the symbol table for each module. The
symbol table dump contains the address and name for each symbol. Selecting
this option can cause your log file to become very large.]]

? Dump All Thread Contents
[[Specifies whether Dr. Watson will log all threads. If this option is
selected, Dr. Watson logs a state dump for each thread in the program
causing the error. Otherwise, Dr. Watson logs only the thread that caused
the program error.]]

? Append To Existing Log File
[[Specifies whether Dr. Watson appends diagnostic information to the end of
the Drwtsn32.log file or creates a new log file for each program error.
Selecting this option can cause your log file to become very large.]]

? Visual Notification
[[Specifies whether Dr. Watson provides a message box with an OK button when
a program error is detected. If you do not click OK within five minutes, the
box is removed.]]

? Sound Notification
[[Specifies whether Dr. Watson plays a sound when a program error is
detected. The sound played is either the WAV file specified in the Wave File
box or two standard computer-generated beeps.]]

? Create Crash Dump File
[[Specifies whether Dr. Watson creates a binary crash dump file that can
later be loaded into a debugger. If you select this option, you must also
specify a file name for the crash dump file in the Crash Dump box.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D bqsjh$sq5$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Now the two 80GB and teh 500GB SATA drives are up and runnign smooth.
> just minor problems originating from MSN Messenger and Googles Deskbar.
>
> Things are really looknig up.
>
> It seems that errors concerning symbols files are best dealt with by
> reinstalling all software causing troubles, OS inculded.
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
> news:D bqklm$i2a$1@services.kq.no...
>> Hi Wesley...
>>
>> Things are looking up.
>> During an all-nighter last night, I started to somewhat see a pattern
>> here.
>> It seems like I have to not only reinstall every problem making software,
>> but I have to perform a uninstall first.
>>
>> The problem now is to make my keyboard function during boot up so I can
>> start this darn thing in security mode.
>>
>> Thank you very much for showing me the EventViewer.
>> Right now it is my MSN Messenger which is causing problems.
>> Have uninstalled it now, and will download and install it in a minute or
>> so.
>>
>> I'll keep you posted....
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----

<snip>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:37:34 AM

Thank you Wesley...

Very nice of you to do that. I have saved it an will read it all soon.

The problem for me was duw to lack of knowledge I didn't understand that the
error was in every afflicted appplication. I thought it was the OS that was
mocked.

But I have noe learned. Se also my english speaking blog at
http://tresfjording.blogspot.com/

Right now it's 2:30 in the morning and my compputer haven't crashed yet to
day.

Anyways....thank you for your help.

--

news:o An0bDujFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
>> news:D bqklm$i2a$1@services.kq.no...
>>> Hi Wesley...
>>>
>>> Things are looking up.
>>> During an all-nighter last night, I started to somewhat see a pattern
>>> here.
>>> It seems like I have to not only reinstall every problem making
>>> software,
>>> but I have to perform a uninstall first.
>>>
>>> The problem now is to make my keyboard function during boot up so I can
>>> start this darn thing in security mode.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for showing me the EventViewer.
>>> Right now it is my MSN Messenger which is causing problems.
>>> Have uninstalled it now, and will download and install it in a minute or

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:37:35 AM

Zadig,

If you mean this error...

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.

It isn't that big of a deal. That will show up in every error listed in
%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log
if symbol files are not installed and Dr. Watson has to default to ntdll.dll
for symbols.

Even if no extra symbols are loaded old Doc still sends the errors to the
Event Viewer.

Be thankful that Dr. Watson isn't crashing for you. I see a lot of posts
about Dr. Watson crashing.

[[Every computer is like a car with air-conditioning, once you open windows,
it stops working properly.]] LOL At least you have air conditioning. It
hit 104°F (40°C) here today.

Here's some horses for ya.

They may not be Icelandic horses, but...
They are from The Greeley Stampede, the World's Largest 4th of July Rodeo
and Western Celebration. My town.

42 images in this album on 5 pages.
Click on [slideshow] or just work your way through them.
http://silvercharm.digitalphotochat.com/gallery/Greeley...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D bs3gf$heo$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you Wesley...
>
> Very nice of you to do that. I have saved it an will read it all soon.
>
> The problem for me was duw to lack of knowledge I didn't understand that
> the error was in every afflicted appplication. I thought it was the OS
> that was mocked.
>
> But I have noe learned. Se also my english speaking blog at
> http://tresfjording.blogspot.com/
>
> Right now it's 2:30 in the morning and my compputer haven't crashed yet to
> day.
>
> Anyways....thank you for your help.
>

> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
> news:o An0bDujFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Zadig,
>>
>> Since you seem so interested in Dr. Watson, I'm gonna give you everything
>> have on it. I lost interest a long time ago. If I have an application
>> that
>> keeps crashing, I either uninstall and reinstall it and/or look for
>> updates
>> for that application.

<snip>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:33:28 PM

Rodeo...Always wanted to attend one of those..
Are you riding contests yourself, or are you just a afficiado?

But that has passed I guess.
My dream of touring USA is fast becoming a thing of the past :-(

It's now 08:30 inn the morning here and and when I wkoe up my computer
fifteen minutes ago it all went just fine with no hickups.
That means that right now my Niobe hasn't crashed for nearly nine hours!

Lif IS good!

--

> Zadig,
>
> If you mean this error...
>
> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.
>
> It isn't that big of a deal. That will show up in every error listed in
> %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log
> if symbol files are not installed and Dr. Watson has to default to
> ntdll.dll
> for symbols.
>
> Even if no extra symbols are loaded old Doc still sends the errors to the
> Event Viewer.
>
> Be thankful that Dr. Watson isn't crashing for you. I see a lot of posts
> about Dr. Watson crashing.
>
> [[Every computer is like a car with air-conditioning, once you open
> windows,
> it stops working properly.]] LOL At least you have air conditioning. It
> hit 104°F (40°C) here today.
>
> Here's some horses for ya.
>
> They may not be Icelandic horses, but...
> They are from The Greeley Stampede, the World's Largest 4th of July Rodeo
> and Western Celebration. My town.
>
> 42 images in this album on 5 pages.
> Click on [slideshow] or just work your way through them.
> http://silvercharm.digitalphotochat.com/gallery/Greeley...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 8:34:18 PM

Just a spectator. The last time I was on a horse I just about got bucked
off and it was no rodeo horse.

Glad to hear that your machine is running fine. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D bsobq$qcs$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Rodeo...Always wanted to attend one of those..
> Are you riding contests yourself, or are you just a afficiado?
>

> But that has passed I guess.
> My dream of touring USA is fast becoming a thing of the past :-(
>
> It's now 08:30 inn the morning here and and when I wkoe up my computer
> fifteen minutes ago it all went just fine with no hickups.
> That means that right now my Niobe hasn't crashed for nearly nine hours!
>
> Lif IS good!
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>> Zadig,
>>
>> If you mean this error...
>>
>> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.
>>
>> It isn't that big of a deal. That will show up in every error listed in
>> %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log
>> if symbol files are not installed and Dr. Watson has to default to
>> ntdll.dll
>> for symbols.
>>
>> Even if no extra symbols are loaded old Doc still sends the errors to the
>> Event Viewer.
>>
>> Be thankful that Dr. Watson isn't crashing for you. I see a lot of posts
>> about Dr. Watson crashing.
>>
>> [[Every computer is like a car with air-conditioning, once you open
>> windows,
>> it stops working properly.]] LOL At least you have air conditioning.
>> It hit 104°F (40°C) here today.
>>
>> Here's some horses for ya.
>>
>> They may not be Icelandic horses, but...
>> They are from The Greeley Stampede, the World's Largest 4th of July Rodeo
>> and Western Celebration. My town.
>>
>> 42 images in this album on 5 pages.
>> Click on [slideshow] or just work your way through them.
>> http://silvercharm.digitalphotochat.com/gallery/Greeley...
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:56:30 PM

Hi again Wesley....

I think my system is getting pretty stable right now.
Have been runnig apps that usually caused a reboot for about five hours now.
Do not dare to cheer yet.

I found out there was a problem with Macromedia Flash iexplorer plugin.
Uninstalled and reinstalled it.
And that Java installation was gone sour.
Uninstalled and reinstalled both versions.

I finally expanded into the correct place both iexplore.exe and explorer.exe
from my Windows cd.
Everything seems more stable and more responsive.

Been running Winamp, MSN Messenger, MSIE, Win explorer and Outlook
This usually crash the computer within minutes!

Still running!

--

> Just a spectator. The last time I was on a horse I just about got bucked
> off and it was no rodeo horse.
>
> Glad to hear that your machine is running fine. :-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D bsobq$qcs$1@services.kq.no,
> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Rodeo...Always wanted to attend one of those..
>> Are you riding contests yourself, or are you just a afficiado?
>>

>> But that has passed I guess.
>> My dream of touring USA is fast becoming a thing of the past :-(
>>
>> It's now 08:30 inn the morning here and and when I wkoe up my computer
>> fifteen minutes ago it all went just fine with no hickups.
>> That means that right now my Niobe hasn't crashed for nearly nine hours!
>>
>> Lif IS good!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>>> Zadig,
>>>
>>> If you mean this error...
>>>
>>> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.
>>>
>>> It isn't that big of a deal. That will show up in every error listed in
>>> %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log
>>> if symbol files are not installed and Dr. Watson has to default to
>>> ntdll.dll
>>> for symbols.
>>>
>>> Even if no extra symbols are loaded old Doc still sends the errors to
>>> the
>>> Event Viewer.
>>>
>>> Be thankful that Dr. Watson isn't crashing for you. I see a lot of
>>> posts
>>> about Dr. Watson crashing.
>>>
>>> [[Every computer is like a car with air-conditioning, once you open
>>> windows,
>>> it stops working properly.]] LOL At least you have air conditioning.
>>> It hit 104°F (40°C) here today.
>>>
>>> Here's some horses for ya.
>>>
>>> They may not be Icelandic horses, but...
>>> They are from The Greeley Stampede, the World's Largest 4th of July
>>> Rodeo
>>> and Western Celebration. My town.
>>>
>>> 42 images in this album on 5 pages.
>>> Click on [slideshow] or just work your way through them.
>>> http://silvercharm.digitalphotochat.com/gallery/Greeley...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:56:31 PM

Glad to hear it, Zadig.

I do not and will not have Macromedia Flash on my machine.

I have no java whatsoever installed either. Or any kind of Messenger. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D cdqkf$aub$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi again Wesley....
>
> I think my system is getting pretty stable right now.
> Have been runnig apps that usually caused a reboot for about five hours
> now. Do not dare to cheer yet.
>
> I found out there was a problem with Macromedia Flash iexplorer plugin.
> Uninstalled and reinstalled it.
> And that Java installation was gone sour.
> Uninstalled and reinstalled both versions.
>
> I finally expanded into the correct place both iexplore.exe and
> explorer.exe from my Windows cd.
> Everything seems more stable and more responsive.
>
> Been running Winamp, MSN Messenger, MSIE, Win explorer and Outlook
> This usually crash the computer within minutes!
>
> Still running!
>

> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>> Just a spectator. The last time I was on a horse I just about got bucked
>> off and it was no rodeo horse.
>>
>> Glad to hear that your machine is running fine. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D bsobq$qcs$1@services.kq.no,
>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Rodeo...Always wanted to attend one of those..
>>> Are you riding contests yourself, or are you just a afficiado?
>>>

>>> But that has passed I guess.
>>> My dream of touring USA is fast becoming a thing of the past :-(
>>>
>>> It's now 08:30 inn the morning here and and when I wkoe up my computer
>>> fifteen minutes ago it all went just fine with no hickups.
>>> That means that right now my Niobe hasn't crashed for nearly nine hours!
>>>
>>> Lif IS good!
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Zadig Galbaras
>>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>>> -----
>>>

>>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:35:45 PM

Hi again...

I have been struggling here. Really fighting it out.
The problem have remained all the time.
The change of the explorer.exe and iexplore.exe was at the best only
momentary glimpse.
Even made a batch file to do the job.

For the first time in weeks this computer have been running all night while
I was sleeping with a few apps running without rebooting, and still
functioning the next morning.
What I did?
I yanked out the SB Live! 24-Bit sound card.
This in spite of recently updated drivers.
Even though I have stripped Windows and various apps to live a quiet life
and not bother me with annoying sounds every time something bad happens, the
all need a working sound card. Even Word crashed, but it don't no more.

This time I am pretty sure the problem is solved.
No I have to find a sound card that is fully compatible with my mother board
Abit VT7.
Have any suggestions, Wesley?

--

> Glad to hear it, Zadig.
>
> I do not and will not have Macromedia Flash on my machine.
>
> I have no java whatsoever installed either. Or any kind of Messenger.
> ;-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D cdqkf$aub$1@services.kq.no,
> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi again Wesley....
>>
>> I think my system is getting pretty stable right now.
>> Have been runnig apps that usually caused a reboot for about five hours
>> now. Do not dare to cheer yet.
>>
>> I found out there was a problem with Macromedia Flash iexplorer plugin.
>> Uninstalled and reinstalled it.
>> And that Java installation was gone sour.
>> Uninstalled and reinstalled both versions.
>>
>> I finally expanded into the correct place both iexplore.exe and
>> explorer.exe from my Windows cd.
>> Everything seems more stable and more responsive.
>>
>> Been running Winamp, MSN Messenger, MSIE, Win explorer and Outlook
>> This usually crash the computer within minutes!
>>
>> Still running!
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>>> Just a spectator. The last time I was on a horse I just about got
>>> bucked
>>> off and it was no rodeo horse.
>>>
>>> Glad to hear that your machine is running fine. :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:D bsobq$qcs$1@services.kq.no,
>>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:35:46 PM

Hi Zadig,

I have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI512 sound card and a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
440 graphics card.

I do not know what I would buy, but I know what I won't buy.

I will never buy another Creative or NVIDIA product.

But you know all about Creative don't you?

Did you have the *proper* XP drivers?

Creative Labs : Customer Support - Drivers & more for all your Creative
products
http://us.creative.com/support/

Customer Support: Software AutoUpdate
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/softwareupdate...

Oops, that's US...

Home Page: Country Selector
http://us.creative.com/language.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D cid2l$k5m$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi again...
>
> I have been struggling here. Really fighting it out.
> The problem have remained all the time.
> The change of the explorer.exe and iexplore.exe was at the best only
> momentary glimpse.
> Even made a batch file to do the job.
>
> For the first time in weeks this computer have been running all night
> while I was sleeping with a few apps running without rebooting, and still
> functioning the next morning.
> What I did?
> I yanked out the SB Live! 24-Bit sound card.
> This in spite of recently updated drivers.
> Even though I have stripped Windows and various apps to live a quiet life
> and not bother me with annoying sounds every time something bad happens,
> the all need a working sound card. Even Word crashed, but it don't no
> more.
>
> This time I am pretty sure the problem is solved.
> No I have to find a sound card that is fully compatible with my mother
> board Abit VT7.
> Have any suggestions, Wesley?
>

> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>> Glad to hear it, Zadig.
>>
>> I do not and will not have Macromedia Flash on my machine.
>>
>> I have no java whatsoever installed either. Or any kind of Messenger.
>> ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D cdqkf$aub$1@services.kq.no,
>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi again Wesley....
>>>
>>> I think my system is getting pretty stable right now.
>>> Have been runnig apps that usually caused a reboot for about five hours
>>> now. Do not dare to cheer yet.
>>>
>>> I found out there was a problem with Macromedia Flash iexplorer plugin.
>>> Uninstalled and reinstalled it.
>>> And that Java installation was gone sour.
>>> Uninstalled and reinstalled both versions.
>>>
>>> I finally expanded into the correct place both iexplore.exe and
>>> explorer.exe from my Windows cd.
>>> Everything seems more stable and more responsive.
>>>
>>> Been running Winamp, MSN Messenger, MSIE, Win explorer and Outlook
>>> This usually crash the computer within minutes!
>>>
>>> Still running!
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Zadig Galbaras
>>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>>> -----
>>>

>>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:55:45 AM

yes all drivers updated, and even tested an earlier version of the nvidia
drivers, but in vain.
Right now I use the onboard sound card, and being not a music junkie it
might be good enough for me.

Also the Internet Explorer Macromedia Flash plug in crashes my iexplore.exe
too often.
Get a html web page describing the problem for MS and they say it's a well
know problem and that Macromedia is to blame.
I remember you said you don't use this flash plug in.
What do you use instead?

--

news:o xg4mMflFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi Zadig,
>
> I have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI512 sound card and a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
> 440 graphics card.
>
> I do not know what I would buy, but I know what I won't buy.
>
> I will never buy another Creative or NVIDIA product.
>
> But you know all about Creative don't you?
>
> Did you have the *proper* XP drivers?
>
> Creative Labs : Customer Support - Drivers & more for all your Creative
> products
> http://us.creative.com/support/
>
> Customer Support: Software AutoUpdate
> http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/softwareupdate...
>
> Oops, that's US...
>
> Home Page: Country Selector
> http://us.creative.com/language.asp
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D cid2l$k5m$1@services.kq.no,
> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi again...
>>
>> I have been struggling here. Really fighting it out.
>> The problem have remained all the time.
>> The change of the explorer.exe and iexplore.exe was at the best only
>> momentary glimpse.
>> Even made a batch file to do the job.
>>
>> For the first time in weeks this computer have been running all night
>> while I was sleeping with a few apps running without rebooting, and still
>> functioning the next morning.
>> What I did?
>> I yanked out the SB Live! 24-Bit sound card.
>> This in spite of recently updated drivers.
>> Even though I have stripped Windows and various apps to live a quiet life
>> and not bother me with annoying sounds every time something bad happens,
>> the all need a working sound card. Even Word crashed, but it don't no
>> more.
>>
>> This time I am pretty sure the problem is solved.
>> No I have to find a sound card that is fully compatible with my mother
>> board Abit VT7.
>> Have any suggestions, Wesley?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>>> Glad to hear it, Zadig.
>>>
>>> I do not and will not have Macromedia Flash on my machine.
>>>
>>> I have no java whatsoever installed either. Or any kind of Messenger.
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:D cdqkf$aub$1@services.kq.no,
>>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:55:46 AM

Nothing. I hate Flash. I do not have Flash at all, period.

I think it is irritating as heck. I just miss out on whatever good stuff
that there may be. That way I also avoid all the bad stuff.

There are some programs around that allow you to switch Flash on and off,
but I like it off all the time just fine. ;-)

Do you have Macromedia Flash Player 7? Shockwave Player version 10.0.1? Or
the Macromedia Flash Player 8.0 beta? If the beta, get rid of it.

[[What is Shockwave Player version 10.0.1? ]]
Macromedia Shockwave Player Support FAQ
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.c...

Maybe you would like this option.

[[As most Jakob Nielsen disciples would agree, Flash sites are simply a
waste of bandwidth, assaulting the user with unnecessary and annoying
graphics. You can uninstall Flash (instructions on Macromedia's web site),
but in some cases (where a site is offering an instructional video in Flash,
for example) you may want the functionality Flash provides. Here's a way to
toggle Flash on and off in Windows XP without a performance penalty or error
messages.]]
How to toggle Flash on and off
http://www.clearpointsystems.com/toggleFlash.php

I uninstalled Flash.

Deleted the following...
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed
C:\Program Files\Macromedia
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\swflash.inf

And deleted 57 Registry Entries related to Flash.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D cj6rn$och$1@services.kq.no,
> [...]
>>> The problem have remained all the time.
>>> The change of the explorer.exe and iexplore.exe was at the best only
>>> momentary glimpse.
>>> Even made a batch file to do the job.
>>>
>>> For the first time in weeks this computer have been running all night
>>> while I was sleeping with a few apps running without rebooting, and
>>> still functioning the next morning.
>>> What I did?
>>> I yanked out the SB Live! 24-Bit sound card.
>>> This in spite of recently updated drivers.
>>> Even though I have stripped Windows and various apps to live a quiet
>>> life and not bother me with annoying sounds every time something bad
>>> happens, the all need a working sound card. Even Word crashed, but it
>>> don't no more.
>>>
>>> This time I am pretty sure the problem is solved.
>>> No I have to find a sound card that is fully compatible with my mother

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:46:57 AM

Have now cleansed my computer for every trace of SB and Macromedia Flash.
Nice not needed to download every trashy animated commercial too.

Have ordered a new soundcard:
http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/111501/508891.htm...
Cheap, but it'll do 'til I have accumulated more money....

--

> [...]
>> well
>> know problem and that Macromedia is to blame.
>> I remember you said you don't use this flash plug in.
>> What do you use instead?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>> news:o xg4mMflFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi Zadig,
>>>
>>> I have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI512 sound card and a NVIDIA GeForce4
>>> MX 440 graphics card.
>>>
>>> I do not know what I would buy, but I know what I won't buy.
>>>
>>> I will never buy another Creative or NVIDIA product.
>>>
>>> But you know all about Creative don't you?
>>>
>>> Did you have the *proper* XP drivers?
>>>
>>> Creative Labs : Customer Support - Drivers & more for all your Creative

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:46:58 AM

<ROTFL>

I rank those trashy animated commercials right up there with spam.

Business schools should teach in Marketing 101 to not tick off a potential
customer if you want them to buy your product.

Have fun with your new sound card!

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D cm58l$k7q$1@services.kq.no,
> [...]
>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\swflash.inf
>>
>> And deleted 57 Registry Entries related to Flash.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D cj6rn$och$1@services.kq.no,
>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> yes all drivers updated, and even tested an earlier version of the
>>> nvidia drivers, but in vain.
>>> Right now I use the onboard sound card, and being not a music junkie it
>>> might be good enough for me.
>>>
>>> Also the Internet Explorer Macromedia Flash plug in crashes my
>>> iexplore.exe too often.
>>> Get a html web page describing the problem for MS and they say it's a
>>> well
>>> know problem and that Macromedia is to blame.
>>> I remember you said you don't use this flash plug in.

August 2, 2005 4:41:55 PM

I am dissapointed today.
It seems my pc is crashing when I use MS Explorer og in Winamp, or other
apps use commands destines to utilize the harddisk.
If I delete tunes in WinAmp it crashes.
If I start clicking my way down the folders in Explorer it crashes.
If I start up my Outlook it locks up.

I have run defrag and chkdsk /f

What can it be?

--

> <ROTFL>
>
> I rank those trashy animated commercials right up there with spam.
>
> Business schools should teach in Marketing 101 to not tick off a potential
> customer if you want them to buy your product.
>
> Have fun with your new sound card!
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D cm58l$k7q$1@services.kq.no,
> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Have now cleansed my computer for every trace of SB and Macromedia Flash.
>> Nice not needed to download every trashy animated commercial too.
>>
>> Have ordered a new soundcard:
>> http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/111501/508891.htm...
>> Cheap, but it'll do 'til I have accumulated more money....
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>>> Nothing. I hate Flash. I do not have Flash at all, period.
>>>
>>> I think it is irritating as heck. I just miss out on whatever good
>>> stuff
>>> that there may be. That way I also avoid all the bad stuff.
>>>
>>> There are some programs around that allow you to switch Flash on and
>>> off,
>>> but I like it off all the time just fine. ;-)
>>>
>>> Do you have Macromedia Flash Player 7? Shockwave Player version 10.0.1?
>>> Or
>>> the Macromedia Flash Player 8.0 beta? If the beta, get rid of it.
>>>
>>> [[What is Shockwave Player version 10.0.1? ]]
>>> Macromedia Shockwave Player Support FAQ
>>> http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.c...
>>>
>>> Maybe you would like this option.
>>>
>>> [[As most Jakob Nielsen disciples would agree, Flash sites are simply a
>>> waste of bandwidth, assaulting the user with unnecessary and annoying
>>> graphics. You can uninstall Flash (instructions on Macromedia's web
>>> site), but in some cases (where a site is offering an instructional
>>> video in Flash,
>>> for example) you may want the functionality Flash provides. Here's a way
>>> toggle Flash on and off in Windows XP without a performance penalty or
>>> error
>>> messages.]]
>>> How to toggle Flash on and off
>>> http://www.clearpointsystems.com/toggleFlash.php
>>>
>>> I uninstalled Flash.
>>>
>>> Deleted the following...
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed
>>> C:\Program Files\Macromedia
>>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\swflash.inf
>>>
>>> And deleted 57 Registry Entries related to Flash.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:D cj6rn$och$1@services.kq.no,
>>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

> <snip>

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:48:41 PM

And BTW, how did you get rid of this nagging line in IE asking to install
this actvieX of macromedia?

--

> [...]

>>> [[As most Jakob Nielsen disciples would agree, Flash sites are simply a
>>> waste of bandwidth, assaulting the user with unnecessary and annoying
>>> graphics. You can uninstall Flash (instructions on Macromedia's web
>>> site), but in some cases (where a site is offering an instructional
>>> video in Flash,
>>> for example) you may want the functionality Flash provides. Here's a way
>>> toggle Flash on and off in Windows XP without a performance penalty or
>>> error
>>> messages.]]
>>> How to toggle Flash on and off
>>> http://www.clearpointsystems.com/toggleFlash.php
>>>
>>> I uninstalled Flash.
>>>
>>> Deleted the following...
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed
>>> C:\Program Files\Macromedia
>>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\swflash.inf
>>>
>>> And deleted 57 Registry Entries related to Flash.

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:48:42 PM

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.

I also have this UNChecked...
Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
[[Specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with
Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than
Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve,
you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are
causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart
Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off.]]

Some third-party browser extensions and add-ons may interfere with how
Internet Explorer views certain Web pages.

NOTE: If you are using a friendly toolbar like those from Google or Yahoo ,
you don't want to follow this tip.

If you're using Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 2...
Control Internet Explorer Add-ons with Add-on Manager
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_addonm...

How to manage Internet Explorer add-ons in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256

Adobe Acrobat, Word, etc. do not run from my Internet Explorer. The only
extras that I have in IE are an extra button on the Toolbar, MS-KB and an
extra Tools menu item, MS-KB. Either one of these opens a new instance of
IE opened at...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;KBHOWTO
which is Microsoft Search the Support Knowledge Base (KB). I use this an
awful lot.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D cnj2d$a6l$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> And BTW, how did you get rid of this nagging line in IE asking to install
> this actvieX of macromedia?
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>> <ROTFL>
>>
>> I rank those trashy animated commercials right up there with spam.
>>
>> Business schools should teach in Marketing 101 to not tick off a
>> potential customer if you want them to buy your product.
>>
>> Have fun with your new sound card!
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D cm58l$k7q$1@services.kq.no,
>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Have now cleansed my computer for every trace of SB and Macromedia
>>> Flash. Nice not needed to download every trashy animated commercial too.
>>>
>>> Have ordered a new soundcard:
>>> http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/111501/508891.htm...
>>> Cheap, but it'll do 'til I have accumulated more money....
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Zadig Galbaras
>>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>>> -----
>>>

>>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding

>> <snip>
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:54:47 PM

Now I deleted a folder named Zinio in my Progam Files folder and it take for
ever and then after I clicked on cancel it says not answering.
Then the window looks.
But the folder is gone when I restart explorer

--

> [...]

>>> [[As most Jakob Nielsen disciples would agree, Flash sites are simply a
>>> waste of bandwidth, assaulting the user with unnecessary and annoying
>>> graphics. You can uninstall Flash (instructions on Macromedia's web
>>> site), but in some cases (where a site is offering an instructional
>>> video in Flash,
>>> for example) you may want the functionality Flash provides. Here's a way
>>> toggle Flash on and off in Windows XP without a performance penalty or
>>> error
>>> messages.]]
>>> How to toggle Flash on and off
>>> http://www.clearpointsystems.com/toggleFlash.php
>>>
>>> I uninstalled Flash.
>>>
>>> Deleted the following...
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed
>>> C:\Program Files\Macromedia
>>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\swflash.inf
>>>
>>> And deleted 57 Registry Entries related to Flash.

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:53:21 AM

Well you can start laughing now :-))
The problem was most probably a second harddisk named Western Digital Caviar
WD800 which I didn't install properly.
I had to run a disk manager to get it to function properly.
This is now done and I have stressed Niobe (my computer name) beyond the
point where she would reboot less than an hour ago.
Macromedia flash is reinstalled.
This time I am a lot more convinced I have fixed Niobe than I have seen
earlier.
Time will show.
I guess the repeated replacement of explorer.exe and iexplore.exe kept me
fooled.

Now all three harddisks runs smoothly.
The SATA 500Gb or 05.TB as I like to put it, have caused no problem
whatsoever during this times of trial and tribulations.
Now both 80GB's are working fine as well.
Deleting a file or a folder deep, deep into a folder tree is of no problem
any longer.
Physically remove a MP3 file from within WinAmp is of no problem either.
Seem like the file management of explorer is up and running smoothly again.

So thank you for your patience.
I hope this thread is ended for now.
Wish me luck :-)

--

Regards
Zadig Galbaras
A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
-----

SNIPPET
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:53:22 AM

Good luck! :-D

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D coivl$hod$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Well you can start laughing now :-))
> The problem was most probably a second harddisk named Western Digital
> Caviar WD800 which I didn't install properly.
> I had to run a disk manager to get it to function properly.
> This is now done and I have stressed Niobe (my computer name) beyond the
> point where she would reboot less than an hour ago.
> Macromedia flash is reinstalled.
> This time I am a lot more convinced I have fixed Niobe than I have seen
> earlier.
> Time will show.
> I guess the repeated replacement of explorer.exe and iexplore.exe kept me
> fooled.
>
> Now all three harddisks runs smoothly.
> The SATA 500Gb or 05.TB as I like to put it, have caused no problem
> whatsoever during this times of trial and tribulations.
> Now both 80GB's are working fine as well.
> Deleting a file or a folder deep, deep into a folder tree is of no problem
> any longer.
> Physically remove a MP3 file from within WinAmp is of no problem either.
> Seem like the file management of explorer is up and running smoothly
> again.
>
> So thank you for your patience.
> I hope this thread is ended for now.
> Wish me luck :-)
>

> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>
> SNIPPET
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:47:00 AM

Well Adam wasn't a very long time in Paradise either.
For the first time in years I've got a Guru Meditation number.
It happened while I was playing a music video in WinAmp.
An error dialog box was then mentioning Visual C++ error in WinAmp.
The programmers at Nullsoft have missed something, I believe.

Besides that, Niobe is working fine.
Took out the problem maker 80Gb hard disk.
Then refitted the SB Live! sound card just test and walked right into heap
of trouble and a series of reboots.
Sound card is once again brutally yanked out, and given away on my blog.:
http://tresfjording.blogspot.com/

Everything remotely resembling any connection to Creative is ripped out of
folders and registry.

What a long night's journey towards dawn....

--

news:o BQCu16lFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Good luck! :-D
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D coivl$hod$1@services.kq.no,
> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Well you can start laughing now :-))
>> The problem was most probably a second harddisk named Western Digital
>> Caviar WD800 which I didn't install properly.
>> I had to run a disk manager to get it to function properly.
>> This is now done and I have stressed Niobe (my computer name) beyond the
>> point where she would reboot less than an hour ago.
>> Macromedia flash is reinstalled.
>> This time I am a lot more convinced I have fixed Niobe than I have seen
>> earlier.
>> Time will show.
>> I guess the repeated replacement of explorer.exe and iexplore.exe kept me
>> fooled.
>>
>> Now all three harddisks runs smoothly.
>> The SATA 500Gb or 05.TB as I like to put it, have caused no problem
>> whatsoever during this times of trial and tribulations.
>> Now both 80GB's are working fine as well.
>> Deleting a file or a folder deep, deep into a folder tree is of no
>> problem
>> any longer.
>> Physically remove a MP3 file from within WinAmp is of no problem either.
>> Seem like the file management of explorer is up and running smoothly
>> again.
>>
>> So thank you for your patience.
>> I hope this thread is ended for now.
>> Wish me luck :-)
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>
>> SNIPPET

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:28:54 PM

Vesides it seems that it is the palying of music that crashes my computer
Installed the Quintessential player, ran it, and the system still rebooted
Have removed the SB sound card and are currently using the onborad AC-97
sound controller,
Have also removed a faulty working hard disk

Still mystified...

--

news:D cp7mq$kt2$1@services.kq.no...
> Well Adam wasn't a very long time in Paradise either.
> For the first time in years I've got a Guru Meditation number.
> It happened while I was playing a music video in WinAmp.
> An error dialog box was then mentioning Visual C++ error in WinAmp.
> The programmers at Nullsoft have missed something, I believe.
>
> Besides that, Niobe is working fine.
> Took out the problem maker 80Gb hard disk.
> Then refitted the SB Live! sound card just test and walked right into heap
> of trouble and a series of reboots.
> Sound card is once again brutally yanked out, and given away on my blog.:
> http://tresfjording.blogspot.com/
>

> Everything remotely resembling any connection to Creative is ripped out of
> folders and registry.
>
> What a long night's journey towards dawn....
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
> news:o BQCu16lFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Good luck! :-D
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D coivl$hod$1@services.kq.no,
>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Well you can start laughing now :-))
>>> The problem was most probably a second harddisk named Western Digital
>>> Caviar WD800 which I didn't install properly.
>>> I had to run a disk manager to get it to function properly.
>>> This is now done and I have stressed Niobe (my computer name) beyond
>>> the
>>> point where she would reboot less than an hour ago.
>>> Macromedia flash is reinstalled.
>>> This time I am a lot more convinced I have fixed Niobe than I have seen
>>> earlier.
>>> Time will show.
>>> I guess the repeated replacement of explorer.exe and iexplore.exe kept
>>> me
>>> fooled.
>>>
>>> Now all three harddisks runs smoothly.
>>> The SATA 500Gb or 05.TB as I like to put it, have caused no problem
>>> whatsoever during this times of trial and tribulations.
>>> Now both 80GB's are working fine as well.
>>> Deleting a file or a folder deep, deep into a folder tree is of no
>>> problem
>>> any longer.
>>> Physically remove a MP3 file from within WinAmp is of no problem either.
>>> Seem like the file management of explorer is up and running smoothly
>>> again.
>>>
>>> So thank you for your patience.
>>> I hope this thread is ended for now.
>>> Wish me luck :-)
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Zadig Galbaras
>>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>>> -----
>>>
>>> SNIPPET

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:53:15 PM

It could be my power supply delivering 350W?
DVD
DVD r-w
Two 80GB hard disks
One 500GB SATA2 drive
12 in one card reader
7 port USB delivering power to an 80 GB 3.5 inch Hitachi hard disk and a
smart card reader and a Creative Web camera.
Right now the Sound card and one of the two 80GB hard disks is removed.
Things work fine.

May be a new power supply is needed?

--

news:D cq9ps$j8v$1@services.kq.no...
> Vesides it seems that it is the palying of music that crashes my computer
> Installed the Quintessential player, ran it, and the system still rebooted
> Have removed the SB sound card and are currently using the onborad AC-97
> sound controller,
> Have also removed a faulty working hard disk
>
> Still mystified...
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
> news:D cp7mq$kt2$1@services.kq.no...
>> Well Adam wasn't a very long time in Paradise either.
>> For the first time in years I've got a Guru Meditation number.
>> It happened while I was playing a music video in WinAmp.
>> An error dialog box was then mentioning Visual C++ error in WinAmp.
>> The programmers at Nullsoft have missed something, I believe.
>>
>> Besides that, Niobe is working fine.
>> Took out the problem maker 80Gb hard disk.
>> Then refitted the SB Live! sound card just test and walked right into
>> heap of trouble and a series of reboots.
>> Sound card is once again brutally yanked out, and given away on my blog.:
>> http://tresfjording.blogspot.com/
>>

>> Everything remotely resembling any connection to Creative is ripped out
>> of folders and registry.
>>
>> What a long night's journey towards dawn....
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>> news:o BQCu16lFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Good luck! :-D
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:D coivl$hod$1@services.kq.no,
>>> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:53:16 PM

Choosing The Right Power Supply
http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/default....

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page2.as...

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page3.as...

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page4.as...

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page5.as...

Power supply wattage - PSU calculator
http://www.adecy.com/psu/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D cqsq1$nd1$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> It could be my power supply delivering 350W?
> DVD
> DVD r-w
> Two 80GB hard disks
> One 500GB SATA2 drive
> 12 in one card reader
> 7 port USB delivering power to an 80 GB 3.5 inch Hitachi hard disk and a
> smart card reader and a Creative Web camera.
> Right now the Sound card and one of the two 80GB hard disks is removed.
> Things work fine.
>
> May be a new power supply is needed?
>

> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>

> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
> news:D cq9ps$j8v$1@services.kq.no...
>> Vesides it seems that it is the palying of music that crashes my computer
>> Installed the Quintessential player, ran it, and the system still
>> rebooted Have removed the SB sound card and are currently using the
>> onborad AC-97 sound controller,
>> Have also removed a faulty working hard disk
>>
>> Still mystified...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
>> news:D cp7mq$kt2$1@services.kq.no...
>>> Well Adam wasn't a very long time in Paradise either.
>>> For the first time in years I've got a Guru Meditation number.
>>> It happened while I was playing a music video in WinAmp.
>>> An error dialog box was then mentioning Visual C++ error in WinAmp.
>>> The programmers at Nullsoft have missed something, I believe.
>>>
>>> Besides that, Niobe is working fine.
>>> Took out the problem maker 80Gb hard disk.
>>> Then refitted the SB Live! sound card just test and walked right into
>>> heap of trouble and a series of reboots.
>>> Sound card is once again brutally yanked out, and given away on my
>>> blog.: http://tresfjording.blogspot.com/
>>>

>>> Everything remotely resembling any connection to Creative is ripped out
>>> of folders and registry.
>>>
>>> What a long night's journey towards dawn....
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Zadig Galbaras
>>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>>> -----
>>>

>>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i melding
>>> news:o BQCu16lFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:52:09 AM

Thank you :-)
Tested the calculator
result:
Power supply wattage calculator results: 508W (280W on +3.3v & +5v rails)

My PSU delivers 350W on 3.3v & 5.5v rails....
So it should be sufficient.
But which of those to values, 280W or 508W is the right one I don't know.
--

> Choosing The Right Power Supply
> http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/default....
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page2.as...
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page3.as...
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page4.as...
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page5.as...
>
> Power supply wattage - PSU calculator
> http://www.adecy.com/psu/
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D cqsq1$nd1$1@services.kq.no,
> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> It could be my power supply delivering 350W?
>> DVD
>> DVD r-w
>> Two 80GB hard disks
>> One 500GB SATA2 drive
>> 12 in one card reader
>> 7 port USB delivering power to an 80 GB 3.5 inch Hitachi hard disk and a
>> smart card reader and a Creative Web camera.
>> Right now the Sound card and one of the two 80GB hard disks is removed.
>> Things work fine.
>>
>> May be a new power supply is needed?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Zadig Galbaras
>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>> -----
>>

>> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
>> news:D cq9ps$j8v$1@services.kq.no...
>>> Vesides it seems that it is the palying of music that crashes my
>>> computer
>>> Installed the Quintessential player, ran it, and the system still
>>> rebooted Have removed the SB sound card and are currently using the
>>> onborad AC-97 sound controller,
>>> Have also removed a faulty working hard disk
>>>
>>> Still mystified...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Zadig Galbaras
>>> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
>>> -----
>>>

>>> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> skrev i melding
>>> news:D cp7mq$kt2$1@services.kq.no...

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:28:53 PM

And now my SounBlaster Live! 24-bit is reinstalled and working fine.
Maybe I was to eager to pass the blame around....

--

news:D cto4q$mq5$1@services.kq.no...

!