Sign in with
Your question

Increase in Temp..PSU?

Last response: in Components
December 4, 2010 7:31:09 AM

Hi, i just recently bought a new PSU for my computer, and i plugged everything in and i turned on my computer and check my computer's temperature:

Temp1 = 39C
Temp2 = 30C
Temp3 = 26C
Core = 35C

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 2.8Ghz Quad Core

Before i upgraded my PSU my temperatures were usually around like 30C, should i be worried about this?

The PSU that i bought was a Antec 380W Continuous Power Bronze 80+ Certified. My old PSU was a stock PSU which has the brand LITEON.

I'm worried that this is a problem for my computer..is it? At first I thought it was normal because my new PSU is much more powerful than my old one so it would make sense that it would make more heat but, then I thought about it and i realized that if my old psu was powering my computer with a temp of 30C than my new PSU should be around the same temp or maybe a little less because since its more powerful it doesnt use as much power to do stuff and its more efficient too.

Any thoughts??

More about : increase temp psu

a b ) Power supply
December 4, 2010 11:00:46 AM

where are you reading your temps??? PSU has no correlation directly with temp rises unless you positioned the PSU wrong (which is dramatic to say the least)...

do a simple test... bring back the liteon and see if the temps remain the same or is lowered... if it does then i really dont have an answer right now...
m
l
December 4, 2010 9:20:05 PM

I'm using a program called SpeedFan. Is this not a reliable program?
I tried using CoreTemp and it got a reading of Low:33C , High:36C

Which one do i trust?
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 4, 2010 11:16:27 PM

I trust CoreTemp more SpeedFan. In fact, I do not use SpeedFan.

Adding a more powerful and efficient PSU should not affect your temps much, if at all.

gongtruong said:
... i realized that if my old psu was powering my computer with a temp of 30C than my new PSU should be around the same temp or maybe a little less because since its more powerful it doesnt use as much power to do stuff and its more efficient too.

Basically, yes.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 11:40:24 AM

core temp is good... HWM Blackbox is also an excellent overall monitor... speedfan gives wrong readings to lotta people including a few of my builds...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 12:11:47 PM

Even with the increase your temps look fine so I wouldn't worry.

Have you tried running Prime95 with Speedfan and Coretemp open to see your temps under load?

Also try HWmonitor. :D 
m
l
!