Disappointed is SATAIII, alternatives?

butremor

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hello
Recently i've been catching up to the hardware world, as i've been out of the loop for several years.
It came to my attention that SATA connections are not living up to their standarts, e.g. SATA III can't reach it's limit of 6Gb/s, even on a 10 000 rpm drive. Same goes for SATAII.
So my question is what is good alternative for SATA drives, that is faster, for desktop pc? Definitely not PATA, i've looked into that. I also looked into SAS drives, but they're too expensive and SAS slots can only be spotted on 200$+ motherboards, which is moot point for budget PC.
So what's left? USB? 1394 (i think it's also some kind of USB connection). Does it makes sense to wire USB drive to use as internal HDD? Does USB standards provide bigger speeds than, say, SATAIII ?
Can you recommend some drives that live up closest to their standarts (i mean SATA II III)?

SSD not up for discussion, i'm purely interested in HDD matter.

Solution
Try to find a Western Digital Black Series, with 64MG cache at 7200 RPM.

Black Series is for power computing, which might be what you´re looking for.

Blue Series daily computing. Green Series for low power storage.

For US$70 it´ll be difficult to get a 1TB HDD Black Series, perhaps you find one with 750/500GB.

jemm

Distinguished
The thing about SATA III not delivering its 6Gb/s, is regarding to its controllers.

Some Intel motherboards, for example, do not have native SATA III controllers. Intel uses controllers from another company -- Marvell Controller, for instance, which doesn´t performance as good as its native SATA II.

My motherboard has SATA II and SATA III ports, but I connect my SSD, which is SATA III to the motherboard native SATA II (with Intel controller), because Marvell Controller is crap! :(

EDIT: As for HDD is doesn´t matter if it is SATA II or SATA III -- it will not make any difference.

that would be because the disk that you are attaching to the link cannot transfer that fast, even 10k rpm drives are too slow to saturate a Sata III (not even a Sata II) link, look at SSD benchmarks and you will see drives hitting 500+ (upwards of 550-575) MB/s which is near the theoretical peak of Sata III (which is 600 MB/s, as they transfer 10 bits per byte for error correction)

jemm

Distinguished

This one is only 32MG Cache -- a good HDD must have at least 64MG Cache.

What is the usage -- is it for gaming, storage [personal, business] ?

How much are willing to spend to get the ´best´?

jemm

Distinguished
Try to find a Western Digital Black Series, with 64MG cache at 7200 RPM.

Black Series is for power computing, which might be what you´re looking for.

Blue Series daily computing. Green Series for low power storage.

For US$70 it´ll be difficult to get a 1TB HDD Black Series, perhaps you find one with 750/500GB.

Solution

redtailed

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Look for single platter high density drives. That is the best you will do for spinning disks. For example, the latest 1TB Blue drives from WDC can do 190 MB/s sequential transfer on the outer platter, though their seek time isn't all that hot.

USB 3.0 has less bandwidth than SATA 6Gb/s. Your problem isn't the BUS, but the physical devices. You won't find a spinner that will hit SATA 6Gb/s speeds - not physically possible at the moment. The only single physical devices that can utilize that SATA 6 Gb/s bandwidth are SSD. The other alternative is RAIDing a bunch of spinning drives together to get a higher aggregate bandwidth - but that is costlier than an SSD and has its own problems. Can I ask why you rule out SSD or how you think you would use that bandwidth?