sander17

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Hey,
My old PSU was broken (my PC wouldn't start up anymore, or it would shut down after ~2 seconds) and yesterday I replaced it with an antec 500watts.
To build it in I took my HDD out, so I could reach the motherboard better.
Built my HDD back in like how it was before and how it is supposed to:
img01360201012031837.jpg

Everything was connected properly so I fired the baby up, and guess what, it worked!
My Asus 'welcome' screen (which tells me DEL is for bios etc and usually shows 0.5-1sec before it starts to load windows) was on my screen for about ~10 seconds, and my PC made a beep every ~1,5 seconds... a bit weird, but it went away after about 3 minutes so okay, no problem.

I wanted to reinstall windows, so I put my CD in, only to find out that when I try to install windows, it tells me that the computer can't find any HDD.

img01364201012032038.jpg

I also tried to start up without the windows cd, and then it gives me this error:

img01363201012032034.jpg

I hit F2 to load defaults and continue, and then it gives me this error, no matter if I reboot 1000 times, this thing keeps popping up:

img01365201012032107.jpg

I have tried everything here aswell, went into my bios, changed to defaults, tried EVERY possible boot order combination but it wouldn't give in.

My guess is (and my guess isn't worth much) that there is some other component like my motherboard for example, that may have broken down while my old PSU was already broken, like give it not enough power causing it to malfunction.

Could any of you help me out? Thanks a lot!

Check the power supply connections to the motherboard and the hardrive. Change them if necessary; you should have more than one connector available to use. You can also change the sata port on the motherboard. Most have 4-6 to choose from. I also use the hardrive software to prep the drive first. Maxblast 5.0 is a free download. With the software, you can format and set the drive as boot or secondary, or clone it off another drive.

sander17

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006

Hey man thanks for replying.
I tried all 4 sata ports, it didn't help, but I found something else out
I replaced my HDD with my buddies HDD (I borrowed his to test) and the weird sound is gone AND it is booting up fast again.
However, it still gives me the 'must set proper boot device' error
I went into bios and at the SATA1 SATA2 SATA3 all say 'not detected'

when I go to IDE configuration: it says
SATA configuration: enhanced.
configure SATA as: IDE

something wrong here?

Xp may require a special driver for sata; formatting deletes it; the maxblast software may contain it. If you've already deleted your hardrive, try using maxblast to prep it. Set the sata at auto; I use achi instead of ide, but it may not be an option on your motherboard, or may not work with xp. Ask your buddy if he can create a bootdisk with the maxblast software; it's a free download. Or ask him if he got any software with his hardrive. I would try connecting your hardrive again. A few sata drives have a jumper to set them to sata I, which may not require any driver to use xp. Check your old drive for this jumper.