Looking to buy some new ram.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi guys, my birthday is coming up and I am looking to buy some new ram. I'm looking for some nice high performance ddr3 1600mhz 8gb kits, and after looking around g-skill seems to be a very nice brand to buy.

However they have so many different models and things that I am not sure which is THE BEST to choose from. I am looking for around the £50 mark (GBP).

So far I have found a few different models but this seems to stick out -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004HZG4ZO/ref=asc_df_B004HZG4ZO3835328?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004HZG4ZO

EDIT: I just noticed that it says "for Intel Sandybridge Platforms", does that mean I won't be able to use it on my motherboard?

Are they any good? And also would they fit under the noctua nh-d14, using an amd motherboard (asus m4a785td-v evo) and a coolermaster cm storm scout?

Thanks.

mekunekud

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Mushkin sold pretty cheap at Aria the other day. Check their offers for Mushkin Blackline 1600 mhz. It was only £40 so I picked it up. Should easily fit under your cooler.

Please don't bump. It does absolutely nothing, and it's against the rules:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277636-10-read-first

That Sandy Bridge advertising doesn't actually signify anything about compatibility. The RAM will work anywhere that can handle DDR3.
G. Skill is good, and you've got a nice choice there. You won't see any noticeable performance difference between G. Skill's 1600 kits, and there's no differnce that I can see between Ripjaws and Ripjaws X, so go for it.
They will fit, because you can just stick them in the outer RAM slots if they can't fit in the ones closest to the cooler. Just check your manual to see which two slots will work for two sticks.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Ok so your 100% sure the ram will be compatible? Because i've searched around and some people said they have been having problems (stability issues). But as far as I could tell it was mostly due to defective boards...(I think).