sander17

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Hey,
My old PSU was broken (my PC wouldn't start up anymore, or it would shut down after ~2 seconds) and yesterday I replaced it with an antec 500watts.
To build it in I took my HDD out, so I could reach the motherboard better.
Built my HDD back in like how it was before and how it is supposed to:
img01360201012031837.jpg

Everything was connected properly so I fired the baby up, and guess what, it worked!
My Asus 'welcome' screen (which tells me DEL is for bios etc and usually shows 0.5-1sec before it starts to load windows) was on my screen for about ~10 seconds, and my PC made a beep every ~1,5 seconds... a bit weird, but it went away after about 3 minutes so okay, no problem.

I wanted to reinstall windows, so I put my CD in, only to find out that when I try to install windows, it tells me that the computer can't find any HDD.

img01364201012032038.jpg

I also tried to start up without the windows cd, and then it gives me this error:

img01363201012032034.jpg

I hit F2 to load defaults and continue, and then it gives me this error, no matter if I reboot 1000 times, this thing keeps popping up:

img01365201012032107.jpg

I have tried everything here aswell, went into my bios, changed to defaults, tried EVERY possible boot order combination but it wouldn't give in.

My guess is (and my guess isn't worth much) that there is some other component like my motherboard for example, that may have broken down while my old PSU was already broken, like give it not enough power causing it to malfunction.

Could any of you help me out? Thanks a lot!

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
could be the HDD got fried by the PSU... try booting through the CDROM or USB drive (if your bios allows it)... if it does then try changing the HDD temporarily... If it works then HDD is gone for a toss...

sander17

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006

Thanks for replying bro!
I found something out;
I replaced my HDD with my buddies HDD (I borrowed his to test) and the weird sound is gone AND it is starting up fast again.
However, it still says 'must set proper boot thingy'
I went into bios and at the SATA1 SATA2 SATA3 it all says 'not detected'

when I go to IDE configuration: it says
SATA configuration: enhanced.
configure SATA as: IDE

something wrong here?

sander17

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
uh oh, when I try the windows install it gives me the same error saying that it can't find any HDD
This is getting weirder and weirder

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
SATA config is fine... try changing the SATA cable... from what i see the pc is not reading any SATA devices... how bout your CDROM??? is that detected (i assume its SATA)...

shovenose

Distinguished
if you are using windows xp or earlier you want it to run sata in ide mode, but windows vista or 7 rub it in sata mode...

i think your mobo bios battery needs to be replaced

and what psu do you have?

sander17

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006

Antec Earthwatts EA-500D