Sign in with
Your question

Computer doesn't start up correctly

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2010 12:40:57 PM

When I turn on my computer, instead of going past the initial system identifications and to the desktop as usual computers do, it continually flashes my graphics cards driver screen. It then continually cycles between automatically starting and showing me the screen. I have a Dell XPS 400 Galaxy GTS 250 for the card Pentium dual core windows xp.

December 4, 2010 2:05:12 PM

No, it wont allow me to.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 5:05:53 PM

You sure you have the right PSU for the job?

the GTS 250 card come with the rig? or was it there to begin with? since when have you been seeing this problem?
Related resources
December 4, 2010 10:19:35 PM

The GTS250 was bought along with a new 500 watt psu a couple of months ago. It has worked fine up until last night. I was downing loading an online game which was taking forever so I tried to cancel the download. The system locked up and that when the problem began. Earlier today I opened up the case the checked the wires and checked for loose connections. Then for some reason it allowed me to boot up. I ran some Norton Utilites and scaned for viruses, but I didn't find anything unusual. I have no idea what made it work. I did notice that when I was having the problem that the dvd drive seemed to be running like it was looking for a disc. I'm still a bit worried that it will happen again. Any thoughts?
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2010 4:39:36 AM

Mr. Dampat - can we have the brand of your PSU , a picture of the voltages sticker on the PSU's side?

It may turn out to be, that the rails aren't being able to supply the necessary power to your components. Chances are that the low quality capacitors inside the PSU have taken damage from the constant heat.

Which leaves me to ask - your run your PC for doing downloading as well right, which means its on sometimes for days on ends :?

If the dvd drive is looking for a disk,provided your 1st boot priority is set to HDD in BIOS, then that also means the mobo can't detect your HDD ...tries to do a scan for a bootable device...this also points to the fact that the PSU isn't delivering power to your components...either it supplies to all and leaves one or two out or just leaves the critical ones of the power list.

If i were you, I'd get the PSU swapped with a branded one. POST back here and let us know where ya live!
December 6, 2010 9:26:25 PM

Lutfij said:
Mr. Dampat - can we have the brand of your PSU , a picture of the voltages sticker on the PSU's side?

It may turn out to be, that the rails aren't being able to supply the necessary power to your components. Chances are that the low quality capacitors inside the PSU have taken damage from the constant heat.

Which leaves me to ask - your run your PC for doing downloading as well right, which means its on sometimes for days on ends :?

If the dvd drive is looking for a disk,provided your 1st boot priority is set to HDD in BIOS, then that also means the mobo can't detect your HDD ...tries to do a scan for a bootable device...this also points to the fact that the PSU isn't delivering power to your components...either it supplies to all and leaves one or two out or just leaves the critical ones of the power list.

If i were you, I'd get the PSU swapped with a branded one. POST back here and let us know where ya live!

I'm away from the computer, so I can only tell you that the brand is Ultra, I believe it is a LS500, 500 watt. The new graphics card needs at least 400 watt psu. Compusa said it would be sufficient. ? The comp isn't running constantly, but is used quite a bit for gaming. Downloads are few, but do take a few hours in some cases. As I mentioned once I opened up the cases, checked the wires and removed/replaced the harddrive, it has worked fine ever since. The psu is till under warranty so if it is the culprit it should be easy enough to rectify. Is there a way to check it out?
I live near Chicago.
I live near Chicago.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2010 9:32:44 PM

OK, the PSU is the issue, ultra ain't a good brand for PSU's. Get a quality PSU from Antec, Seasonic, Corsair or XFX 550W should do you good :)  look for 80 plus certified PSU's

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

or

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Quote:
Is there a way to check it out?
getting a kill-a-watt meter and testing your psu...but better than that get try talking with compusa for selling a crappy psu to you in the first place...and swap the PSU with the ones i've found.
!