Sign in with
Your question

Computer getting dusty only after a month and a half

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2010 8:49:14 AM

I am puzzled as to why this is happening so quickly there was visible dust on the front panel of my case which I would not like to have I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to reduce dust build up and best ways to clean it out. My case is the CM-690 II with a 140mm intake 120mm exhaust rear 120mm side intake 140mm top exhaust as well as a 120 mm CPU cooling fan if any more info is needed I will provide it.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2010 8:54:29 AM

You can get dust filters for your computer, I advise cleaning it when you need it to look nice, Lan parties, ect.... You can get a anti-static vacuum(if you plan on doing it alot), and you can get Canned air... They carry it at walmart.... (at least at the local one)

The case will collect dust extremely fast, try putting it up high, and painting the ceiling above it, (cuts down on the dust) ....lol.... move it away from things that collect dust, monitors, carpet, glass, ect.

You do need to clean every half year, to three quarters of a year.
m
l
September 13, 2010 1:37:32 AM

I keep mine clean by taping vent filters over the fans. You can get them from Walmart and trim to size. I usually put two together for better protection. I also cut holes in the side cover in a spot that will clear everything inside. I mount most of the fans blowing in with the filters outside. More of them blowing in makes the air come out of the cracks instead of sucking air and dust in. My computer hardly ever gets dirty.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2010 1:20:53 PM

Well...what kind of dust are you talking about.
The fan filters can only filter rough dust.
Fine dust can not be filtered with it, and you would probably just have to live with those fine dust.
Fine dust can only be "reduced" by increasing a little your room moisture, so that it won't fly around individually and got sucked by the fan, since the moisture is high enough to hold the dust together, the dust is big enough to be cought by the filter.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 18, 2010 4:05:33 AM

Gpops said:
I keep mine clean by taping vent filters over the fans. You can get them from Walmart and trim to size. I usually put two together for better protection. I also cut holes in the side cover in a spot that will clear everything inside. I mount most of the fans blowing in with the filters outside. More of them blowing in makes the air come out of the cracks instead of sucking air and dust in. My computer hardly ever gets dirty.

Doesn't this affect your temps?
Not the best if you have a high-temp CPU.....
m
l
September 18, 2010 6:25:59 PM

Atotalnoob said:
Doesn't this affect your temps?
Not the best if you have a high-temp CPU.....

No it hasn't changed the temps at all. Never have a problem. I cut holes and added more fans. More air means more cool.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 3:13:48 AM

Gpops said:
No it hasn't changed the temps at all. Never have a problem. I cut holes and added more fans. More air means more cool.

In the case???? Wouldn't that ruin the natural airflow path? What CPU do you have?
m
l
September 20, 2010 5:07:11 AM

Make sure you also have positive air pressure inside the case. (more intakes than exhausts) this will also greatly help reduce buildup
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 10:49:08 PM

Nice point, didn't think of that =D... On my fans I can switch direction by flipping it... no clue on yours.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 21, 2010 8:21:57 AM

More intakes than outakes means also a higher ambient temperature inside the case.
Usually t'is doesn't matter, but just be careful.
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:24:27 AM

i have seen anti- static sprays for acrylic that would cut down on dust.... ill try too find a link and get back
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2010 2:30:54 AM

BCkee, can you get back to us and tell us what you think on all this?
m
l
September 29, 2010 1:31:24 AM

I have two intakes two exhausts but ive cleaned it all out and it was extremely dusty behind the cpu fan and in the heatsink and my entire case has those dust mesh filters but many I dont know how to remove nor the proper way to clean them.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 2:41:55 AM

If they are mesh, that means plastic, yes?

Wash 'em CAREFULLY! make sure to remove them from the fans... let dry for a long time...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 30, 2010 8:20:10 AM

I prefer to clean the mess using a vacuum cleaner instead of washing.
But sometime, washing is the only way.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 3:56:30 AM

Don't vacuum the case without an anti-static vacuum! bad things will happen.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 8:26:40 AM

Hmmm...antistatic vacuum?
I just have the normal vacuum cleaner...but the thing is..I always dismantle the filters first out from the case.
Suck the dust with the vacuum cleaner, and than put it back to the case...
I have never payed attention to that.
But, I think my procedure should work just fine....should it?
Or am I doing something that could go wrong here?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 7:50:34 PM

No it doesn't Vacuums make TONS of static!

You'll fry your computer....

you can buy anti-static hoses too....
Never go into a computer like that, unless you can buy another computer.

m
l
October 1, 2010 9:25:42 PM

I dont know how to remove the ones on the front and top of the case and I dont want to tear them or anything my case is the CM 690 II if anyone is familiar with it
m
l
!