Sign in with
Your question

GeForce 9600GT Running Extremely Hot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2010 4:02:03 AM

Hello,

For the last couple of days, my computer (brand now... bought in January 2010) has been making some noises which I'm not accustomed to hearing. I'm not sure if this is the sound of the fan running or something else. It is more of a high-pitch tone. While investigating this issue, I noticed that the air coming out of the back vents is very warm... its not hot (you can hold your hand there and not come anywhere near getting burned), but definitely very warm.

Before I go any further, I should mention that my computer is a HP Pavilion desktop (I don't remember the model number, but I can get it if need be) that I bought from BestBuy. I'm a graphic designer, so I need to run Photoshop, etc. on my computer and it needs a good graphics card. When I bought the computer from the kid at BestBuy he told me it had a "top of the line" graphics card. When I got it home, I found that this was not the case.... that the pre-installed "card" (I don't even think it was an actual card) was pretty lousy. Eventually, I got ahold of a local repair tech who recommended installing the GeForce 9600 GT. I bought the card and paid him to install it. No real problems to speak of, until now (the issues described above).

Anyway, I did some checking around online, and was told to download a product called Everest, which I did. When I ran my intial report, it indicated the following values for the temperatures:

Temperatures:

Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU 56 °C (133 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 40 °C (104 °F)
MCP 110 °C (230 °F)
GPU Diode 67 °C (153 °F)
WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 [ TRIAL VERSION ]
WDC WD5000AAVS-00ZTB0 [ TRIAL VERSION ]

From what I've been able to gather, it sounds like the MCP is running much too hot. The highest value I've been able to see online was 110° (which someone also said was way too high) and mine is running a full 10° above that.

I've put in a call to the tech guy who installed the card, but he hasn't replied yet. I'm really alarmed by this and I'd like to know where I should go from here or if its even safe to run my computer without fear of it crashing on me. The one saving grace is that the computer SEEMS to be stable... every now and then, Photoshop has a hiccup where it is slow to refresh the screen, but no problems otherwise (knock on wood). And since buying the computer, I've been continuously running the HP Diagnostics test and it continuously comes up saying the computer is running perfectly.

For now (this evening), I have shut the computer off, in hopes that the components will cool down. Hopefully this was not a mistake.

Any help/advice as to how to proceed would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 6:33:51 AM

All those temperatures are very high.Clean up the case, try to manage cables properly, ensure that the CPU is properly seated.remove dust from the GPU fan and add more cooling fans in your case if necessary.
August 12, 2010 2:42:02 PM

It is not an issue of dust, as the computer is quite new and I've made an ongoing effort to keep the ports clean. I did open up the side panel and confirmed this, as there was minimal dust inside (which I've since cleaned with a can of air).

For the last week, I've been running the computer with the side panel removed. I've been running regular reports using EVEREST and SpeedFan. Most of the temps have come to normal ranges with the side panel removed, save for the MCP temp which still shows as running extremely warm.

I've been in touch with a local computer repair service, but the call was unhelpful. The guy basically tried to diagnose it over the phone as an issue of my computer being infected with a spyware/virus (which he claimed was causing the board to overwork itself) and wanted $140 to run a spyware sweep with no guarantees that it would actually resolve the temperature issue. I said no thanks to that. (I'm not saying that there is no possibility that it is spyware related, even though I have proper spyware and virus software installed and am religious about running scans on a regular basis. It just bothered me that he went straight to that explanation [and the $140 "cleaning" fee] when there are so many more like possibilities.)

I've also been in touch with the gentleman who originally installed the graphics card. He has theorized that it could be one of several issues:

1) Poor airflow throughout the computer --- although there are two fans inside of the computer (and a third fan built into the NVIDIA card), there is no front-to-back airflow within the unit. The case does not have any vents in the front at all. All of the vents are in the back and on one side only.

2) The possibility that the diode for the MCP temp is placed too close to the heat sink or the NVIDIA card, which could be cause for a "misreading" of the temperature.

I am currently traveling and was supposed to leave the computer with him while I was out of town, but I just did not have time to get it to him prior to leaving. So I'll have to try to drop it off to him when I get back in town next week. When I do so, I will have him check to make sure the CPU is properly seated. He has also discussed the possibility of adding a PCI slot fan, which might help with the airflow.
Related resources
August 12, 2010 2:43:54 PM

One other thought worth mentioning...

I've noticed that the computer seems to be constantly accessing/writing to the hard drive (accompanied by the blinking yellow LED on the case itself), even when the computer is sitting idle or I'm performing the most basic tasks (e.g. surfing the web). It may well be that this is normal, and I'm just noticing it because, since the temperature issue began, the computer has been sitting right next to me on top of the table (as opposed to a few feet away on the floor), but I still wonder if this is indicative of a problem and/or related to the temperature issues.
August 18, 2010 7:47:56 PM

How do I tell if I'm "using [sic] BELOW 400 Watt PSU?"
!