Sign in with
Your question

New build PSU advice

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2010 12:01:27 PM

Hello there, I need some PSU advice....
I will shortly be putting the following together, following the death of my 5 year old athlon 64 x2 3800+

ASRock 890fx Deluxe 3
Phenom II X2 550 or 555
4GB Ram
Antec 300 + max fans
2 DVD drives, 2 HDDs
Radeon 5850

Ive selected these parts with upgradability (is that really a word?) in mind, ie. the next gen AMD chips and another 5850.
Im hoping to save a bit of dollar by salvaging as much of my old build as i can, namely the CPU cooler, HDDs and DVDs and a 580W Tagan PSU (TG580-U22).
Now, Ive seen conflicting articles about the power requirements of a 5850 crossfire system, some say it uses less than 500W at load, some say 650W or more is necessary. Also, my PSU has only 2 6pin PCI-e connectors, although I believe can get molex to PCI-e convertors. But I also hear I should have 55W or more on the 12V rails, my PSU seems to only supply 40 at most...
Any suggestions? Its a fairly tight budget...

More about : build psu advice

September 13, 2010 5:10:12 AM

^ For a single HD 5850, your PSU is fine, but it would need an upgrade when you want to go Crossfire...So then go with atleast a 650W+ PSU(Preferably from Corsair/ Antec EA or TP series/ Cooler Master Silent PRO Series/ Silverstone/ Seasonic/ PCP&S)...
September 13, 2010 11:27:48 PM

Id drop an HDD, DvD, a fan or two and increase the CPU to a 3 or 4 core. Even just changing to the AthlonIIx3 would boost gaming performance.
Related resources
September 14, 2010 1:13:28 AM

dndhatcher said:
Id drop an HDD, DvD, a fan or two and increase the CPU to a 3 or 4 core. Even just changing to the AthlonIIx3 would boost gaming performance.

Good luck unlocking the extra cores on that Phenom II X2. ;)  It usually works from what I hear (more often then not).
September 14, 2010 11:54:23 AM

Cheers guys.

Yeah am hoping to unlock - not straight away tho, will use it a while first to see that its ok under warranty before I mess with it.

So, new PSU to go on the shopping list...
September 14, 2010 8:16:03 PM

bigpuns said:
Cheers guys.

Yeah am hoping to unlock - not straight away tho, will use it a while first to see that its ok under warranty before I mess with it.

So, new PSU to go on the shopping list...

Since you already have a working PSU, you could just wait and buy a new one with the second HD 5850. It would save you some money so that you wouldn't have to skimp on what you're buying now.
!