Question about system i'm about to build...

G

Hello guys after doing some research and a lot of thinking i started thinking about this:
1) I like gaming a lot, i've been spending "some" hours on the new starcraft 2 and i'm w8ing like hell for red dead redemption pc and some other games my hd 3850 can't play.
2) I use my pc a lot but i don't do any heavyweight encoding or imaging and such cause this will be my first year in electrical and computer engineering course so no need for many cpu cores.
3) I prefer a better/faster response from my system.
So i was thinking of being a bit more realistic, now that i've realised intel and amd are not going to keep those f*ing sockets they have now, and buying a i3 dual core cpu with a good but as cheap as possible s1156 board and overclock it to a mere 4.0 Ghz :).
Doing this i will save some money to spent on a better case, peripherals, and a gpu.

So i was thinking about these:
Coolermaster Haf 932
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
Intel i3 530
Corsair xms3 4 gb
and if have enough money i'll buy one of those gtx460:).
I already have an Ocz 600W PSU, an hd3850 which i will eventually replace with a new one and 2 hard drives.
I'm open for suggestions and comments on my decision.
thnx

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Right now maybe you should wait till the RDR PC version is released. Next year Intel, AMD & ATI are all gonna come out with their new products & prices of the older platforms are gonna fall significantly (hopefully anyways).

CPU : Just 10 bucks more than the 530 - Intel Core i3-540

RAM : CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) C7

I doubt whether you'll need a full tower though, but cases are a personal preference thing, so you might as well go with whatever catches your fancy. Just a suggestion - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 - less expensive younger sibling of the one you choose.

There is also now the HAF 912, the baby brother of the 932 and 922 (It just came out this week)

there is also the option of getting a quad core AMD processor for the cost of that I3.

an Athlon II X4 640 is $105, and will be better for your engineering and computer classes.

Add a $70 AMD 880G Motherboard and you can save enough to get an HD5770 or NVidia GTX 460 from $135-220

G

i think i'll stick with intel
thnx for the i3-540 tip not much of a difference in price for the extra multiplier
as for the case i'll buy the big one to be future proof

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, I think your 600 Watt OCZ will be able to handle the RAID 0 config with a 5770 maybe. If you're into video encoding though, a quad will prolly be better. For mathematical calculations & gaming, two fast cores is just 'bout enough.

G

for the time being i'll be okay
and when i decide to upgrade my system with these specs i will upgare only my mobo and cpu and be ready to go

G

hey guys you you made me rethink about it and by looking at it i found out that an i5 760 and a Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H is not much different in price. What is holding me back from this is that the mobo i'm able to afford is an m-atx one and i'm not shure about it's cooling capabilities because i'm going to be overclocking it.
Plz tell me the best combo from these almost the same price:
1) i3-540 + P55A-UD3 + CoolerMaster Haf 932
2) i5-760 + P55A-UD3 + CoolerMaster Haf 922 (this one is around 60 usd more)
3) i5-760 + GA-H55M-UD2H + CoolerMaster Haf 932
thnx for all the help guys

G

and for that matter the haf 912 is about time to arrive in greece where i'm going to buy the system
(i'm posting again because i can't edit my messages)

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Whether you choose to buy the 540 or the 760 depends on your choice/budget/requirements.

The 760 + H55 uATX is definitely the way to go if you're not seriously looking at SLI. But then, you'll absolutely have to go with the 912/922. I really don't know too many people who put a uATX Mobo in a Full Tower. The 922 especially should be more than cool enough for your OC'ed 760, provided you use a nice aftermarket HSF.

On the other hand, if you've got dual GPU on your mind, it'll prolly be worthwhile to invest a further $50 towards the P55 chipset. But you do realize, that your budget is going up all the time! ;)

EDIT : Of course you can edit. I just did!

G

thnx guys i think i'll go with the m-atx 760 combo and a for multi-gpu i don't thing i'm going for that i prefer a fast strong single card configuration for easier cooling psu needs and effectiveness

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
P55's in any case do not support 16/16 SLI, with just the 24 channels but a single card at X8 sucks. It's strictly for somebody who has an older GTS 250 or something & wants to upgrade to an i5 system from a C2D/PDC. So for them it's like - just get the CPU, pair it with a cheap P55 Mobo, get another 250 for $100 and you're good to go.

But at $55 on Newegg, it's a steal for light gamers though.