CriticalError

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-components,2735.html

I was A+ back when Clinton was President, but haven't done anything, so now I don't know a CPU from a UPC. I innocently posted a question on another part of this forum about I5 750 vs I7 860 from Dell and they have me convinced that I can do much better building it myself. I am NOT a gamer, but I am looking for system that will last for a few years and be around $1000. Does anybody have comments on the components used in the link above? I also have to buy Windows 7 and perhaps Office 2010. Since Spider Solitaire is the heaviest game I play I don't think I will have any need to get into overclocking. I know the I5 is probably overkill for a regular home user. Are there any step by step guides that start from scratch? Could the MSI GeForce GTX 470 be serious overkill for a non-gamer, and someone not doing video editing?

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
IMO get an Athlon X4, 4GB DDR3, an SSD, and 880g motherboard. If you wanted to an AMD x6 would give you some pretty good multitasking, but probably would be unnecessary.

Spend the rest on a nice monitor.

CriticalError

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
I have a strong tendancy to buy up. I just looked back and my last computer was purchased 6 years ago and was an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ATL. It has served me well but is a bit outdated. So looking forward 6 years the I5 750 may not seem like so much overkill. I paid $760 6 years ago so if I can build a system that can carry me into retirement for about 1k I don't mind. I just have a question if I am capable of building it myself, and that video card sounded a bit too much. I was looking at 8 mb ram, but everybody told me to tone that down to 4.

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
yes rather get 4gb of ram and when you think your pc is getting sluggish get the extra 4gb so you can spend more on the build itself, im thinking an antec 300 case, i5 760, cheap asus or gigabyte or msi motherboard, 1tb samsung spinpoint f3 hdd and an ssd

CriticalError

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
I know I am the oddball on sites like this because you guys will probably change computers 3 times in the time I have one. Is there a step by step guide for guys like me who are behind, but are still thinking about building?