Using SSD as boot drive over eSata - Enclosure or powerd cable?

Hello everyone -

I am going overseas and bringing my work laptop which appears to have an eSatap (powered) port. I would like to be able to use my main boot SSD (Intel 160 GB) which I use in my home PC as a boot SSD for my work laptop.

At first I was looking at external enclosures, but am now wondering if it would be better to simply use a Sata to eSatap (or esata+usb) cable instead. Would the eSatap port provide enough voltage to power the SSD as a boot drive consistently, or would I be better off using an external enclosure with a power supply? It looks like eSatap ports typically provide about +5V while Sata ports can provide +12 V - will this be an issue?

If I must go the external enclosure route, I would like something that doesn't limit the eSata transfer rates AND is highly dependable/safe for my SSD. The Thermaltake BlacX external enclosure/dock (ST0005U) I've been looking at looks great EXCEPT that it limits the eSata speed by not bypassing the USB chip, which apparently severely limits speeds if you're using a SSD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

Thanks to everyone in advance!
5 answers Last reply
More about using boot drive esata enclosure powerd cable
  1. This will not work! Because of the different drivers required for your laptop, your pc windows will not even start on the laptop.
  2. Bummer - my friend told me that he was able to boot an alternate drive through USB. I just assumed eSata would be a better choice.

Are you saying that if I were to use an alternate drive I should just do a clean install of Windows in order to use that as an alternate boot drive?
  3. Yes. A clean install and the added laptop drivers (chipset, network, video, sound). Problem: windows will ask for a new activation, if you "reuse" your license key.
  4. Thanks - so a clean install will work.

How about using an eSataP port in lieu of a dedicated hard drive enclosure? Pretty sure my laptop has a powered esata port - price not a concern issue here simply because they'll come out to roughly the same.
  5. Bump - anyone able to answer my question?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Boot Enclosure Storage Product