Upgrading my Computer

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I have a Compaq Presario SR5223WM Desktop PC amd want to get some better performance. You can see what it has not at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3577836&.

It now has a M2N68-LA (Ivy8) motherboard. The processor in it is a Sempron (M) 3600+ 2.0 GHz. It says on the Compaq site that I can upgrade to am AM2 Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 4800+ (up to 65 watt TDP). I have noticed that on Google searches there is mention of being able to use faster processors (faster than 4800+). Is this true? What is the fastest I can safely use? Will I need a now cooling fan? Will I notice a performance improvement?

Also, I would like to upgraded the video. I am using the onboard video now but have heard that a new card would actually improve performance siginificantly. Any recommendations?

I had hpoed to upgrade to Windows 7 as well (has Vista home premium). I like the 2 partition restore capability I have now. Is there anyway I can upgrade and have this restore partition and the main partiition as how it is whent the machine shipped.

And, lastly, I want to set this machine up as a WIndows Media Player to and hook it up to my TV. Anybody have a card to recommend for taking a cable TV input and gving me a TV output?

Thanks!

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

What does the 65 watt TDP thing mean. It also says I can use Athlon 64 up to 3800+. Would this give me better performance than the Sempron (M) 3600+ 2.0 GHz I now have?

Thanks for the answer!