Sign in with
Your question

Having real trouble with SSD

Last response: in Storage
December 22, 2012 7:42:28 PM

I bought a OCZ 256GB Vertex 4 SATA III SSD, for a few days it was running well. I had a system crash a few days ago and it has not booted since.

• Tried formatting and re installing windows (both 7 & 8). Neither work. Was just hanging on drive selection screen.

• I can see the drive both in BIOS and in the Windows setup.

• Using the command prompt, i can see the c: and can browse up until c:\users\ then it hangs and goes no further.

• Typing diskpart into the command window only brings up the line on computer: MINWINPC and goes no further.

• I have an HDD which I have installed Win7 on, that runs fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SSD: OCZ 256GB Vertex 4 SATA III SSD
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz

More about : real trouble ssd

a c 87 G Storage
December 22, 2012 7:58:31 PM

RMA the OCZ?
December 22, 2012 8:54:55 PM

You sure? I figure I have tried pretty much all I can. Is it dead in the water?
Related resources
a c 87 G Storage
December 23, 2012 11:11:16 AM

You can try to run a checkdisk from your other windows.
December 23, 2012 4:32:58 PM

checkdisk failed :S Basically I can't even run windows on another HD if this SSD is connected. But the first time i tried to boot up it ran a checkdisc automatially. This failed and it also tried to restore master table, that failed too.
December 23, 2012 4:33:32 PM

*excuse the horrible typos in that post
a b G Storage
December 23, 2012 4:41:13 PM

Have you tried reseating the SATA cable? Also, try plugging it into different SATA port.
December 23, 2012 4:43:56 PM

I have tried another SATA port. How do you reset the SATA cable?
a c 353 G Storage
December 23, 2012 4:56:45 PM

^ Unplug then Plug back in, or try a different sata Cable.

However, I think the master boot record is hosed.
What you need to do is run a program to delete ALL partitions on the drive, then using OCZs tool box do a secure erease. That should alow you to re-install windows.

Connect the SSD to a USB port, need a sata to USB cable, then retry Diskpart (use the "Clean" command - JUST make sure the SSD is the drive in focus).
If that does not work then Down load the Ultimate Boot disk iso and use one of the 3rd part disk programs.
UBCD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
December 23, 2012 5:08:47 PM

Thanks for your input, would it help if i told you that I did try and use Nuke and Boot to wipe the HD, that also failed after about 10%
a c 353 G Storage
December 23, 2012 5:20:22 PM

You may have placed the SSD in a LOCKED condition. Didn't find anything on that topic so suggest you visit the OCZ forum.

No luck, then suggest the RMA route.
!