Use wired D-Link DI-524 to connect to wireless network?

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm slowly refitting an older PC as an Ubuntu media / file server. I had a PCI wireless card in the PC but it has since gone away. I do have a D-Link DI-524 wireless router with 4 ports. Silly question is, can I use the 524 to connect to the wireless network in my house, routed via a D-Link DIR-628?

Solution
Use your DLink DI-524 wireless router with 4 ports, use it's ports to connect to your computer then use the router as an access point to connect to another wireless router.
G

The two routers should be able to talk via wireless if they both support WDS. But whether you can plug a computer into the second one via ethernet is an unusual question because mostly people do this to boost wireless range.

I guess it's worth a try but as wireless adapters are cheap, may not be worth the hassle.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Use your DLink DI-524 wireless router with 4 ports, use it's ports to connect to your computer then use the router as an access point to connect to another wireless router.

Solution

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good suggestion but there's one slight problem. The 628 is on the upper level and the 524 is on the lower level. Every create access point guide say to connect the two by cable, port to port.