Sign in with
Your question

New sound card - Redirect line-out port at the front of computer

Last response: in Components
December 4, 2010 10:18:17 PM

Hi,
I just got a new sound card, which goes in the PCI port on my computer. I use speakers with my computer, which will plug into the sound card's line-out, but I also have a line-out port at the front of my computer, where I would like to connect headphones. If I connect headphones there (the soundcard hasn't been installed yet) currently, then it sounds very weak and tinny. My question is, once I install the sound card, will the front-side line-out port then recieve signal from the sound card, or still recieve from the motherboard's on-board sound card? If it does still recieve signal from the motherboard, then how do I reroute it so the front line-out port also connects to the soundcard, or is this not possible?
Thanks a lot,
-AJ
December 4, 2010 11:21:01 PM

Some sound cards have front panel support, some don't. This means the front panel connector that currently goes in the mobo goes in a header on the sound card instead. But for best quality use the card's output.
December 5, 2010 12:11:38 AM

mosox said:
Some sound cards have front panel support, some don't. This means the front panel connector that currently goes in the mobo goes in a header on the sound card instead. But for best quality use the card's output.

Ok, thanks. My sound card has at the top right, a white part sticking out with 8 prongs sticking out. Would this be it? (drawing here)
Thanks.
December 5, 2010 2:03:19 AM

No, it should be 9 pins in two rows of 5, one of them missing. Check your soundcard's application for "FP Headphone" under "analog out" or something it might work anyway.
!