New sound card - Redirect line-out port at the front of computer

Hi,
I just got a new sound card, which goes in the PCI port on my computer. I use speakers with my computer, which will plug into the sound card's line-out, but I also have a line-out port at the front of my computer, where I would like to connect headphones. If I connect headphones there (the soundcard hasn't been installed yet) currently, then it sounds very weak and tinny. My question is, once I install the sound card, will the front-side line-out port then recieve signal from the sound card, or still recieve from the motherboard's on-board sound card? If it does still recieve signal from the motherboard, then how do I reroute it so the front line-out port also connects to the soundcard, or is this not possible?
Thanks a lot,
-AJ
3 answers Last reply
More about sound card redirect line port front computer
  1. Some sound cards have front panel support, some don't. This means the front panel connector that currently goes in the mobo goes in a header on the sound card instead. But for best quality use the card's output.
  2. mosox said:
    Some sound cards have front panel support, some don't. This means the front panel connector that currently goes in the mobo goes in a header on the sound card instead. But for best quality use the card's output.

Ok, thanks. My sound card has at the top right, a white part sticking out with 8 prongs sticking out. Would this be it? (drawing here)
    Thanks.
  3. No, it should be 9 pins in two rows of 5, one of them missing. Check your soundcard's application for "FP Headphone" under "analog out" or something it might work anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Computer Components