I had plans to build a computer next summer, but the way things are looking with some bills being payed off earlier than expected, I would actually be able to build one this year.
However, if I were to build now, would it be "future-proofed" for the next 2 years? i was planning on spending $2kish on this build. When I asked about parts that I had chosen, I was told there will be many upgrades next year. BUT, i think I was told that because I stated I wouldn't be building until next summer while choosing current parts.
Main question: If I were to build now, would I be able to future proof it for the next two years?
What's being released in the upcoming months? My target purchase date is around mid-November and I've been told to wait. I've heard that there will be new chips released around October or something like that? Can anyone add some additional details?
So new Intel chip (Sandy Bridge) and new AMD chip (Bulldozer) are being released towards the end of the year in a few months.
My question is, should I be waiting around for those? As it is right now, I'm being told that I don't even need an i7 to game at the best possible settings, what do I need the even newer builds for? Or is it just the fact that once the newer models are released, the prices of the current i5's/i7's are being lowered?
Unless you need the system/upgrade now (games don't perform, system isn't as powerful as you'd like) I would wait. Lower power consumption, next-gen instructions/process nodes, better performance for the same price, newer technologies.
But on the other hand, if you need a system now buy it. Computers move stupidly fast to be waiting forever.
Well, my original intentions were to purchase sometime around mid-November, but I really wanted to have a solid configuration in mind so that if something new came out, I could easily replace and see where I'm at money-wise.
Well prolific, why don't you start a thread to track these developments, rather than hijacking this one?
Pinnacle, what sp12 says makes sense. If you're unable to run today's apps and games, go ahead and build. If the need isn't urgent though, wait. OR, consider just a video card upgrade (PSU too, if needed for the new GPU). It will make a difference for your current system, and be usable in the new one.
Okay you're right, the need isn't urgent. I can play wow on ultra settings lol The new build is more because I enjoy building them.
As far as gpu goes.. could a 5770 be bottle necking an AMD Phenom x4 II 955? I didn't think much about bottle necking until I built my friends i5 system. At the time of purchasing mine, I thought the 955 was comparable to an i5. After seeing some of his bench marks.. either I was wrong in thinking that or the 955 is being bottle necked big time. He's getting 40k ish cpu scores while mine are 10-12k max.