Sign in with
Your question

OS only thing on SSD

Last response: in Storage
December 23, 2012 12:32:11 AM

Hello,

So I set up my system a while back. I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard with a Phenom II X4 965 CPU. 8 GB of Ram and just a basic Nvidia GeForce 220 Video card. I have a 32 GB SSD and a 750 HDD. I haven't gotten into overclocking or anything else fancy just running basic programs, and storage of media files. I was using my 750 GB HDD as my media storage and my SSD for Os and programs. I kept getting issues with running low on drive space and would clear temp files and what not to temporarily fix it. I think I got too far in to do an actual fix so I figured I would just re-install Windows. I had been putting it of, but I recently got a screaming deal on a 1TB HDD so I figured it was the perfect time. Now to the question. I don't want to run into this issue again, so I was wondering if there is a simple, or complex way of making all of the programs I install or anything else automatically save to a different drive. I know there are issues with some things saving to a drive other than C: but I would really like to have just my OS on the SSD. Is this possible? My other question is completely non related, but by not overclocking am I underutilizing my hardware? I know that the 990FXA is a good MOBO but this is my main PC that my family uses and I am too broke to risk screwing it up. WWTHD (What Would Tom's Hardware Do)? Thanks in advance for any advice tips or tricks.

More about : thing ssd

a b G Storage
December 23, 2012 1:11:33 AM

I am preparing to do a fresh install on an SSD as well and somewhere, here on Tom's, I found a thread with this guide in it.
http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

I give full credit to the Tom's user for posting this link, but it looks like it will do the trick. It makes a simlink on your HDD to make windows "think" it is actually writing to the OS drive. It will put all of your User files (the ever growing AppsData folder) on your HDD so that all programs that utilize the AppsData folder will write to the HDD and not the OS SSD. I am definatly going to be doing this on Christmas day. I recommend, either having the article up on another PC or print it out so you can follow it closely. I would recommend this over any registry tweaking and the like.

As far as not overclocking, it's no hurt not to do it. We, as enthusiasts, just do it because we can and are willing to take the chance. They have made overclocking easier with programs, on-board switches (would never use) and predetermined BIOS settings. Most of us prefer to do it the manual way (Multipliers, Voltages, etc.) as you can fine tune it to squeeze that last drop out. But if your happy with your machine, then enjoy it the way it is. Plus, you will need better, aftermarket, cooling for the CPU as stock coolers just don't cut it as well as a high quality PSU to achieve maximum overclocking.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
December 23, 2012 1:15:09 AM

As to where programs install. Most programs will ask where you want them to install, with C: as default, you just have to pay attention when installing things and change its install directory. Occasionally you get a program that doesn't ask, but its a simple matter to move it after its installed.

To stop hings downloading to C:, thats just going through things like Torrent clients and browsers and changing their download location. Usually somewhere in the settings.

Then I guess the basics of putting your movies, music and files on the HDD.

You can get into more advanced stuff like moving the page file and user folders, which will free up a bit of space and make the storage arrangement easier to maintain.

EDIT: if your not comfortable overclocking, then dont do it. From the looks of its just a family PC, not really meant to do anything more intensive than movies and office applications. Overclocking wouldn't really benefit you anyway.
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2012 2:04:21 AM

Thanks for the Quick replies. I think the lifehaker link may be the ticket. As soon as I give it a try I will let you know how it goes. As for as the just a family PC, I may have understated that. It is My PC that I run home design, music and video editing, and a few other CPU and Memory intensive programs. It just happens to double as the "Family PC". I am running it on 2 Acer V173 monitors so Video wise I don't need much, but even with a 3.4 quad core CPU and 8 GB of RAM it seems to lag from time to time. Thats why I was wondering if overclocking would be worth it, or to just upgrade the RAM and get a 6 or 8 core FX CPU...when I can afford it :( 
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
December 24, 2012 2:05:08 AM

If its lagging a bit, then overclocking it might help.
You will need aftermarket cooling though, the stock cooler wont allow any decent overclock. I recommend a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, its a fairly good budget cooler.

Overclocking has become fairly simle, its largely just changing the CPU multiplier unless you want to do big overclocks. Download two programs called Prime95 and CoreTemp, Prime95 stresses the CPU to 100% and Coretemp will tell you how hot the CPU is getting. Get into the BIOS, find the CPU multiplier and up it by 1 (It should be 34 by default). Boot into Windows and run Prime and Coretemp. If its stable (you can boot into Windows outright, Prime doesnt crash) and the temps are acceptable (its largely personal the max threshold, I dont let my CPU above 70c. But it should be fine up till 90c), back into the BIOS and up the multiplier again. Rinse and repeat.
Eventually you will it a point where it becomes unstable. From here you have two options, back off the overclock or raise the CPU voltage to stabilise it. Since im guessing your not overly comfortable with overclocking, I advise going back down on the overclock.
m
l
!