PhenomII X4 965 or Phenom II X6 1090T

Starpwnage

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
I will be upgrading to either Then AMD 965 Or 1090T.
Once i do i wont be upgrading for at least 3-4 years.
Now i am mainly a gamer, i do some video editing and it will benifit be somewhat later. Along with the CPU i will be getting a new AM3 mobo with usb3 and sata 6gb/s, as well as 8gb ddr3-1600mhz ram.

I want to know, shall i go with the 965 or 1090t. As i am aware the 965 seems to win at alot of applications and alot of games, mainly because games dont use 6 cores. But in aplications using 6 cores the 1090t seems to do worse. Should i just stick with the 965, or will the 1090t work with applications better soon?

Lastly, i am aware the 965 heatsink is very noisy and would benift from a after market heatsink, is this the same with the 1090t? Dont suggest going intel, i cant afford it.

boldor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
You are right. Right now it seems that the 965 is a obvious choice. But since you are into video editing and is planning to stick with the cpu for 3-4 years i STRONGLY recommend you to go for the 1090 Thuban since in the nearest future, more and more applications/games will popup with 6x support and the advantage of 965 will melt down in time.

As for the heatsink, I usually recommend an aftermarket heatsink with Phenoms or Thubans, and there are some good ones out there for like under 50$ so I would definetely buy one together with your shiny CPU :)

Good luck

True, games don't use 6 cores, but some applications yes. For longer term i think 1090T will survive better than 965. Well, stock cooler is enough for daily use, if you think that's not good enough then you can get an aftermarket cooler for just $50-$60 to help you cooling down the cpu...
Just make sure get the normal ATX case and not mini/micro ATX case. Normal ATX case will gives you better airflow, help cooling down all components.

Starpwnage

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Yer, i think ill go with the 1090T then.
Or do you think its better to wait for the 8 core bulldozers in QII 2011? I could possibly get that if its around the same price range as the current 1090T. But even if i dont, the 8 cores are supposed to use AM3 slot motherboards, so its always a possible future upgrade.

Starpwnage

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

That is true, but unless those future 6 cores are compatible with AM3 i dont want to upgrade for a long time.

Starpwnage

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Well the 1055 has locked cores while the 1090T has unlocked cores. I dont really wish to overclock, not right now anyway. Perhaps in the future. It seems though the site i had used for benchmarks had jumblerd orders so as i read through alot of the benchmarks from 955 were alot higher, while some other in 1090T were alot higher, though now i reliase half of them say lower is better.

All doubts about the 1090T is gone, but i still could change.

loneninja

Distinguished

The 8 core Bulldozer actually requires AM3+, AMD confirmed this a few months ago. Buy a 1090 today, have no real upgrade without a new motherboard in the future. I would still take the 1090T over the 965 if you plan to keep the build 3-4 years. In the long run it should perform better, and the only reason the X4 processors do better in a lot of benchmarks is due to the higher clock speeds.

As to the heatsink, all of AMD's 125W processors use the same heatsink, so either choice you make you'll have a noisy heatsink unless you replace it.

And I :lol: at the fact you said don't recommend Intel because you can't afford it, an I5 build would be better at gaming and cost equal if not less than a Phenom II X6 rig.