Sign in with
Your question

What power supply would i need?!?!?

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2010 11:09:26 AM

hi, ive decided to make a new gaming pc as my old ones pretty much had it. Ive come up with a list of components i just dont know which psu i should get.

Intel i5 760 (2.8ghz stock), will be overclocked to around 3.8ghz
Corsair H50 cpu cooler
EVGA P55 FTW motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX460 EE , this will also be overclocked, and its also worth noting that in the next month or so after the pc is built i may invest in a second card and run sli so my psu needs to be ready for that
1 stick of Corsair 4Gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-8-7-20 ram , also i will be buying a second stick of this ram in a month or so.
Lite On IHas 124-19 ODD
the hard drive i havn't fully decided on yet but its leaning towards two 1tb 7200rpm drives and also one 64gb ssd.
As well as this ill have a fan controller, most likely a 4 channel 30 watt per channel.
My psu needs to be not extremely overpowerful in a way that im paying money for something ill never need, but have a comfortable amount of power so i can upgrade components without having to buy a new psu.

Any help would be so helpful! :')

More about : power supply

a c 243 ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 11:13:47 AM

Thinking SLI, at least 650 watts / 50 amps and 4 pcie connectors, 750w / 60a would be more comfortable.
December 5, 2010 11:18:09 AM

thnaks delluser1 :)  what 750 psu would you recomend? i know corsair make very good power supplies, are they my best option?
Related resources
December 5, 2010 11:29:27 AM

Hello JediTiger.

Reading ur specs , and as u also mentioned Overclocking and SLI, I would say go with 750W PSU. It will give u enough head room for both Oveclocking. CPU & GPU. If i were u , I would have gone with Corsair 750HX. If you don't have any trouble buying and with bills :) 
650W is also good but still will say go with 750W

Have a nice day :hello: 
December 5, 2010 11:31:02 AM

Dont forget that any PSU you buy will most likely lose about 10% power in first year and 20% power in second year (using the computer 5h/day).
In theory good companies lose less power over time but there is no way to know for sure.

Now, for a perfect calculation id need more info: how much DDR3 sticks, how many optical drives and what type, how many fans, leds, a tv tuner mayb? ETC.

Also i would strongly sugest NOT getting that water cooling kit.
2 reasons for it: Best air cooling is actually better that that (meaning less posible problems, a bit more noise), and getting good water cooling items will probably give your cpu a longer lifespan with that overclock.

Now if you do get the water cooling parts individualy (considerating you are up to learn how it works and are not afraid to use it), most of them will probably be still good when you change your computer again.

About overcloking the gtx 460, see if your motherboard can handle a aftermarket cooling solution (that there is enought space to install it withought running on other PCIs that you might want to use).

You didnt mention the case you would be using as well, this is crucial for knowing how many fans it will have and if you wont create a hot bubble with your SLI (had same problem with my corssfire, and took making a hole in the case manualy to get it good), unless they will be watercooled as well.

So need more info :D .
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 11:47:53 AM

cats_Paw said:
Dont forget that any PSU you buy will most likely lose about 10% power in first year and 20% power in second year (using the computer 5h/day).
In theory good companies lose less power over time but there is no way to know for sure.

Do capacitors lose thier ability to provide power over time ? Yes
Can we say at what rate ? No, not in the case of a PC power supply, there are far to many variables involved.
Capacitor aging is basically a noob catch phrase, that didn't need to be mentioned.
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 11:51:21 AM

Jeditiger said:
thnaks delluser1 :)  what 750 psu would you recomend? i know corsair make very good power supplies, are they my best option?

My personal preferences are Corsair and Antec units, in no particular order, just whichever presents the best deal at the time.
XFX, if you can stand the lime green color scheme.
December 5, 2010 12:01:28 PM

okay first of all thanks to everyone for helping :) 

Sorry if i was a little vague with the opening post, the pc will have 2 4Gb sticks of ddr3 ram at 1600mhz :') ill only be using one optical drive , i might possibly invest in a second blue ray drive in the future but im not sure about that. As for the case i still havnt decided on my case :'/ i was interested in the haf x or the tempest evo case so it'd probaly be one of the two. As for the psu ive looked at the corsair 750hx and im thinking about getting that :') anyone agree or have any better ideas? Thanks
December 5, 2010 12:04:35 PM

okay first of all thanks to everyone for helping :) 

Sorry if i was a little vague with the opening post, the pc will have 2 4Gb sticks of ddr3 ram at 1600mhz :') ill only be using one optical drive , i might possibly invest in a second blue ray drive in the future but im not sure about that. As for the case i still havnt decided on my case :'/ i was interested in the haf x or the tempest evo case so it'd probaly be one of the two. As for the psu ive looked at the corsair 750hx and im thinking about getting that :') anyone agree or have any better ideas? Thanks
December 5, 2010 12:10:43 PM

i cant shop from newegg.com i live in the uk and i dont think they ship over here? :/ 
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 12:13:37 PM

No, they don't :( 
December 5, 2010 12:18:27 PM

i thought not :(  ahh well theres always ebuyer i guess :) 
December 5, 2010 1:56:23 PM

I was taking in consideration OEM PSU, good quaility build lose less, but as you said (and i did) no way to know for sure how much :D .
December 5, 2010 2:24:52 PM

cats_Paw said:

Also i would strongly sugest NOT getting that water cooling kit.
2 reasons for it: Best air cooling is actually better that that (meaning less posible problems, a bit more noise), and getting good water cooling items will probably give your cpu a longer lifespan with that overclock.

A full water cooling kit is just not an option for me at the moment because from what ive heard to get any benefit from water cooling over air cooling it'll set you back about £150 in order to buy a good quality cooling system, and i cant afford that right now :/ 

I have had my doubts about the H50 if im honest, some website reviews have claimed it to be cooling heaven yet some say its not worth the price tag. i know its a bit off topic here but if not the H50 and bearing in mind i cant afford a full water cooling system what cpu cooler would you recomend? :) 
December 5, 2010 2:29:58 PM

so if power supplies lose a percentage of their power over the years, and my rig will be being upgraded therefore requiring more power as the years go by, is 750w gonna be enough? because it loses power then surely after 1 or 2 years it wont be able to power my pc, especialy if i do invest into sli or overclocking. Or am i just being paranoid and 750w will be fine?
December 5, 2010 3:12:08 PM

Well ,
I have seen so many ppl using old psu which are still working and not even working but also handling new gen peripherals perfectly.

I don't know about losing power concept.

But as i Said earlier too, according to ur config, corsair 750W HX is more than enough for u.

It is a very good investment not for your current rig but also for your future use , if u wanna upgrade to more power hungry things.
And seriously , any company will be mad if giving warranty if the product functionality decreases yearly.

Corsair 750HX is having 7yrs warranty,, don't think that it is not gonna handle ur system after 2 or 3 years.

And it also doesn't mean that after 7 years, 750HX will deliver 100W or 500W power, I don't think so.

It will be same, cause of regular and load usage, the capacitors life will reduce but it is like any other hardware components in the computer field isn't ?

GO with 750HX , u won't regret.

Do post when u arrive to final decision . We wanna hear it . :) 

December 5, 2010 8:37:44 PM

well i done abit of research and read many, many reviews and i can not find a single fault with the corsair 750HX :)  and the 7 year warranty really convinced me that its a top notch reliable product :)  Ill probaly be ordering the components in the next week and the corsair 750HX is deffinetly gonna be one of them :)  thank you to everyone who posted :) 
December 5, 2010 8:48:39 PM

Corsair HX 750 is a great choice! Depending on pricing and availability in the UK, you may also want to take a look at the XFX Black 750W or the Antec True Power New 750W, both are Seasonic made PSU's and very high quality and may save you some money without sacrificing quality or performance.
December 5, 2010 8:58:53 PM

jhatfie said:
Corsair HX 750 is a great choice! Depending on pricing and availability in the UK, you may also want to take a look at the XFX Black 750W or the Antec True Power New 750W, both are Seasonic made PSU's and very high quality and may save you some money without sacrificing quality or performance.

All 3 of these psu's sound great however in the Uk they all come in at around the same price :/  plus the corair seems to be easier to get hold of in the UK.
!