Corsair 550vx,600HX,600tx WHICH ONE CONSUMES LESS POWER

Status
Not open for further replies.

unreal2010

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Hey friends, I am building the new pc, it is mainly for multimedia and gaming. :bounce:
I am confused whether Corsair 550vx is good option or not? Here is my config:

asus M4a88td-v Evo
Amd Phenom ii x4 965 BE
HD 5850
1 or 2 HDD & optical drive(probably 1 DVD RW)
And gskill ddr3 1600mhz ram
HAF 922
And no Crossfire & overclocking

I selected the corsair 550vx cause i believe that 550vx will consume less power and it is also enough 4 the components i will have. And it is cheap too. :D

Plus i have read so many good reviews about it. Many give examples for its quality and reliability. :)

But i read somewhere that 550vx will suck 690W from the wall and give 550W of power. IS that true? I am concerned cause I don't want the PSU to consume too much power and Raise the power bill. I will be in trouble for this if that happen. :sweat:

SO what u all say? How much power 550vx will consume 4m the wall? IS this a good choice ? ;)
Plz reaply ASAP. And be serious please. NO funny reply :non:
Thanku

Solution
A computer's components require a certain amount of power. The wattage of the PSU is the maximum it is capable of providing to your components (assuming an accurate label, no certainty where cheap PSUs are concerned). The PSU that can provide the specific amount your system needs at the greatest efficiency will pull the least amount from the wall. PSUs are most efficient in the middle of their range, e.g. 40%-60% of their capacity.
The Corsair 550VX is rated 80+. If you want a PSU to use less power, look for 80+ bronze (e.g. Antec Truepower New), 80+ silver (e.g. Seasonic HT), or 80+ gold (e.g. Seasonic X). These PSUs are arguably "better" in other ways too, and cost more, but the 550VX is a good PSU, and at some point the added...

shovenose

Distinguished
lol yeah corsair makes no 600w psu in the hx or tx series. the 550w will be plenty.

if the 550vx is 80% efficiet, at full load it will draw approx. 687.5w from the wall.

if you find a 90% efficient 550w you will pull on 611 ( a guess) from the wall.

unreal2010

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Well, thanx "SHOVENOSE & WA1", thanks 4 ur reply,but "delluser1" i don't understand ur answer though. May be u r not in a very good mood. :) Even as a legend, 550vx is still rock solid in the market. And legends never die. A horse is a horse , he can run, whether he is old or new. Where reliability & stability is mentioned corsair is mentioned and when u r talking about <600 psu , 550vx is like a big gun of the past.
I do accept that there r psu of 450, 600,700,800 and even bigger gaming series & TX & HX series of the Corsair , but my dear friend,
Diff ppl's needs are different. I need PSU which can handle the load and is easy on pocket too. I don't need 600 or 650 W PSU. Cause i m not gonna use that much power any way. Even 550 is not needed, just 500W, and I have heard about TX & HX series but friend
Opting for something lesser do not mean that We don't know about more higher product. "Delluser1" frankly i don't like ur answer. :( . Questioning about other's knowledge. lol but even there also u went wrong.
But even though , thanx for replying :)
Thank u very much . I will go for 550VX with full throttle ahead.
Thank u Delluser1,SHOVENOSE,WA1, :)

unreal2010

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
thnx Emperus, but i still want @ least little over room.
If the system lasted long, then after 4-5 yrs I may gonna use some overclocking and crazy testing stuff, then i may need some more Watts,
besides i heard so much about 550vx too.
I will feel honored and respected owning that 550VX, what u say :)

What ?

A computer's components require a certain amount of power. The wattage of the PSU is the maximum it is capable of providing to your components (assuming an accurate label, no certainty where cheap PSUs are concerned). The PSU that can provide the specific amount your system needs at the greatest efficiency will pull the least amount from the wall. PSUs are most efficient in the middle of their range, e.g. 40%-60% of their capacity.
The Corsair 550VX is rated 80+. If you want a PSU to use less power, look for 80+ bronze (e.g. Antec Truepower New), 80+ silver (e.g. Seasonic HT), or 80+ gold (e.g. Seasonic X). These PSUs are arguably "better" in other ways too, and cost more, but the 550VX is a good PSU, and at some point the added cost of one that is more efficient will not be made up by the few % difference in power saving or the marginally "better" performance in certain tests that may not matter to you.

Edit: For example, a high-quality Seasonic X-750 will draw less power from the wall than a cheap old Raidmax, even if the load is below the middle of the Seasonic's range, like 200W.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.