Sign in with
Your question

50% of my Memory is "Hardware Reserved"

Last response: in Memory
August 2, 2011 6:18:03 AM

Hello, I was just about to RMA my RAM and noticed in the resource monitor that it says I have 4096MB installed, but that 2050MB are hardware reserved, as my 5770 has 1GB of RAM I wouldn't think it'd take another 2GB, anyone know some solutions for this?
a b } Memory
August 2, 2011 6:56:17 AM

what is your OS ? 32 or 64 ?
m
l
August 2, 2011 7:20:16 AM

Okay, try this: Go to Run and type "msconfig". Once you do this a box will come up and then go to the boot tab then "advanced settings". UNTICK BOTH 'no. of processors' and 'max memory'. These both default to the system max anyway so when you untick them then you put no limits in. Reboot and check the difference.
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2011 12:40:29 PM

OS is Win7 64 Home Premium. In System I'm getting that I have 4.00GB installed with 2.00GB usable.

Both of those were already deselected in msconfig. Thanks anyways though.

I'll post my Specs here:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955
RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

other than that I can't think of anything that's relevant.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 24, 2011 2:22:05 PM

thethinkerbox said:
OS is Win7 64 Home Premium. In System I'm getting that I have 4.00GB installed with 2.00GB usable.

Both of those were already deselected in msconfig. Thanks anyways though.

I'll post my Specs here:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955
RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

other than that I can't think of anything that's relevant.

it is very likely this has to do with your video card. there is a bios setting with some bios that allows for memory remapping, that is what you will want to do. i've spent the past day trying to figure this out for myself (4gb / 2.75 usable) but my bios (dell) doesn't support memory remapping with a 32 bit os.
the problem is that windows is using that memory as hardware reserved - you can verify this by going to the resource monitor: task manager -> performance ->resource monitor.

refer to this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610

good luck
m
l
!