Redetecting hardware (modem)

July 22, 2005 6:01:54 PM

I use an external modem. If I forget to turn the modem on before I power up
the PC and turn it on after I've logged in then I get device not found
messages when I try dialling.

The only way that I know to reactivate the modem is to reboot the PC. I
know there is a way to do this in Win 2000 without a reboot. Is there a
method that works in XP?

PS. I log in with Limited Access. I am the system administrator but I have
a separate account for that. I would prefer not to have to log out to
accomplish this task.

Many thanks in advance,

John C.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:41:32 PM

Run Device Manager as Administrator and rescan hardware changes.

runas /noprofile /user:mymachine\administrator "mmc
%windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc"

Submit your machine name instead of mymachine or do not submit it at all.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:06:21 PM

Yes, that works in just the way I needed. Thank you.

"Jetro" <somewhere@internet.space> wrote in message
> Run Device Manager as Administrator and rescan hardware changes.
>
> runas /noprofile /user:mymachine\administrator "mmc
> %windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc"
>
> Submit your machine name instead of mymachine or do not submit it at all.

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:45:44 PM

Glad it helped.
!