Cannot access external hard drive windows xp

jwm1960

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello,
Last night when I went to bed my computer was install new Windows updates. This morning when I got up it had rebooted but wouldn't access my external hard drive. Is the problem the new update or is it my external hard drive?

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Do you have another computer you could hook up your external hard drive to? You can always try a system restore on your computer. Or you could even try to uninstall and reinstall your external hard drive software on your computer? Maybe it needs to be updated?

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

aussieman

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I also could not access my HP ext HD (all our pics, music and videos are located), tried the internet, and no results until I thought of something that helped me... My Netgear router (I paid about $70 CDN) has a USB connection that I can connect ext hard drives. Just because windows cannot\won't read, the router will, through the network ... I am currently copying all the important files from the HP Ext HD back into my desktop and laptop... Hope it works for you, Good Luck.. Frank

jwm1960

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
I tried connecting it to another computer I have but it won't work with it either. I bought a new external hard drive case and put my hard drive from my old external drive case in it and it works. This is the second time I've had this happen with Windows updates.

TRENDING THREADS