Physical CD / DVD drive not accessible after virtual drive install

sgs001

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Hi,

I have a 64-bit Win7 pc with CD / DVD Writer (physical drive).

Sometime back I installed MagicDisc -- after that I'm no longer able to access my physical CD / DVD drive.. ie, no media loaded onto this physical drive is visible / accessible.

I had then uninstalled MagicDisc -- had checked in the Registry for any UpperFilter / LowerFiler within the key "4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318".. But no such key exist and so nothing was deleted.

I have now installed DaemonToolsLite and made the drive letter for the virtual drive to be V:

I have also tried running the Microsoft's fix it tools but still no luck. Within the Device Manager, I'm not able to view the physical drive anymore. I had tried uninstalling the virtual CD / DVD drive in Device Manager as well as to detect hardware changes within it..

But none of these are able to detect the physical drive.

Any help to recover my physical drive will be much appreciated.

If the device is not listed in Device Manager and there are no driver errors shown there, it's usually a sign of faulty hardware (ie faulty optical drive). That tallies with the other information you've provided (ie nothing will fix it that you've tried).

I think the fact that it failed just after installing MagicDisc may have been just a coincidence and I think you need to replace it.

sgs001

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Appreciate your reply, Phil.

Here's a further update -- I had called up my PC Service guys and they too tried the usual ones within Windows first and then had me go to BIOS & have the defaults restored.

Voila - after that the CD / DVD Writer worked fine and I was able to access CD / DVD content on my drive for few days.

It again disappeared and I had to go back to BIOS & restore the defaults to get the drive recognised within Windows.

But today I have tried that trick too couple of times but still its not coming up once I login into Windows.. Note that every time I go to BIOS, I can see that in the Boot sequence & so it has not failed & its healthy. Just within Windows, it does the disappearing act.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated...

TRENDING THREADS