Gaming, Intel or AMD

EarpWJ

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Building a new gaming comp:

In this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-athlon-ii-x4,2791-3.html

They say for $155 the X4 955 is the best gaming cpu for the $.

The AM3 socket has been around for quite a while right?

So if I am building a new gaming comp and plan on upgrading as needed, wouldnt I want to build the comp around a newer socket (intel 1156) to achieve longer longevity for the entire system? I would think that after 2 years I would want a new CPU, and seeing that the 1156 is a much newer socket, that it would be a better bang for my $ to go with 1156, so that when I did have to upgrade, my motherboard would still be viable.

Is this solid logic?

loneninja

Distinguished
Phenom II is the end of the line for socket AM3, next generation requires AM3+ motherboards. Same goes with Intel, socket 1156 is getting replaced in January, and socket 1366 late 2011.

Anything you build today will have a very limited cpu upgrade path unfortuneatly.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Quite true.I would defintely wait for a couple of months for any new custom build.

Embra

Distinguished
I think it really depends on your needs and budget. What is your budget? If you are on a tight budget, waiting for Sandy Bridge will not necessarily save you much money, as for it remains to be seen how it's release will effect prices on am3 and 1566 builds.

You can build a pretty good gaming system now that will be good for a good bit. It really depends on your needs and budget. :)