Sign in with
Your question

Best Soundcard

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2010 3:30:25 PM

Hey Folks,

Was just wondering what is a good soundcard to purchase for a set of speakers i plan on buying in the near future. They push out about 800w of power and I would like to hook it up to my computer.

If you have any ideas please share. In addition the soundcards that have caught my eye but I have not made a firm decision about are the Asus Xonar cards. The Asus Xonar DX2 as well is something that I'm interested in.

POST UP

More about : soundcard

a b Ĉ ASUS
December 5, 2010 3:41:26 PM

Try reading some reviews. I use the ASUS Xonar DX1 and like it very much. I also use a Creative XFI which I like slightly better than the Xonar. My cards are entry level or a little better and are worth every penny. I bought the XFi for $19.99 on a Newegg Shellshocker deal. The neighbors will love the 800w system and should be contacting you if they haven't already and threatening to set you on fire.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14500/21
m
l
December 5, 2010 3:50:32 PM

hahahahaha thanks mate. screw 'em but technically you're recommending the creative cards over the xonars? what about the sound blaster cards ?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 5, 2010 3:54:15 PM

I have a couple of older soundblaster cards too. The Xonar's are nice, no problem. I use my D1 with a set of Bose 2.1 100w speakers and have a lot of versatility. I use the the X-Fi on my HTPC with an older set of 4.1 75w Boston Acoustics. It be bad.
m
l
December 5, 2010 3:56:40 PM

ok look i was wondering with any of these sound cards whether you can just hook up an 800w home theatre system to it? is that possible too ?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 5, 2010 4:07:59 PM

Which speaker system is it? Yeah, the speakers supply the 800w not the soundcard. The sound card has input jacks to connect the speakers. The soundcard provides a software interface to control the sound output wheter the speakers are equippted with 2w or 800w.
m
l
December 5, 2010 4:27:13 PM

yea i get it what i meant is will the software have adequate features to have sound crystal perfect and what about the creative x fi titanium pro fatality champ series card ?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 5, 2010 4:43:09 PM

800 watt RMS.! Want to bring up an earthquake..!! Please give the entire details of the speaker package and the receiver you are going to use along with it..
m
l
December 5, 2010 4:53:41 PM

Sony HTDDWG700 - 5.1 Channel Home Theatre Component System

The 5.1ch HT-DDWG700 system features 800W of power output and Portable Audio Enhancer which integrates portable music into a traditional Home Theatre System while providing enhanced audio quality.

* 133W x 5 + 135W = 800W
* Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (D.C.A.C)
* Portable Audio Input With Portable Audio Enhancer
* Dolby Pro Logic / Dolby Pro Logic II / Dolby Digital / DTS ES Decoding
* Digital Media Port
* FM/AM Tuner with 60 Presets

Just got if off the link - here are the specs etc: http://www.sony.com.au/product/ht-ddwg700
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 6, 2010 1:42:50 AM

For you, I'd recommend either the ASUS Xonar D2/D2X, Auzentech Forte, or HT Omega Claro Halo.

I'd disagree on the X-fi (Creative's version, at least) being better then the Xonar.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 6, 2010 1:59:28 AM

gamerk316 said:
For you, I'd recommend either the ASUS Xonar D2/D2X, Auzentech Forte, or HT Omega Claro Halo.

I'd disagree on the X-fi (Creative's version, at least) being better then the Xonar.

Despite what you agree or dsagree on, like the reviewer on the link I posted earlier concluded I found the X-Fi to produce slightly better sound quality. The ASUS is a notch less than the X-Fi as far as sound quality.

Conclusions

Despite these changes, the DX lives up to the performance standard set by its predecessor. The card's sound quality is nothing short of exceptional, and more impressively, it was indistinguishable from that of the Xonar D2X in both blind listening tests and in RightMark Audio Analyzer's objective measure of signal quality.

Gaming performance is good, too, which isn't really a surprise considering that all the Xonars share the same audio chip. The combination of Windows Vista and multi-core processor seems to have largely blunted the appeal of hardware acceleration for positional 3D audio, and Asus' DirectSound 3D GX does an admirable job of emulating EAX 5.0 effects that have long been restricted to Creative's audio chips.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14500/21

The reviewer states the Xonar D1 was indistinguishable from that of the Xonar D2X your recommendation. Har.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 6, 2010 11:19:56 AM

^^ I shun listening tests; too objective for my tasts. When I talk quality, I look only at output signal quality (SnR) and (when avaliable) Harmonic Distortion.

As for the D2 over the D1, the main difference is connectivity (Seperate SPDIF in/output jacks on the D2/D2x), and the extra DTS encoding support on the D2/D2X, which given the fact he can decode DTS, if he chooses to go optical, he'd be better off with the superior sound format.
m
l
December 7, 2010 3:07:59 PM

2211086,11,79494 said:
Despite what you agree or dsagree on, like the reviewer on the link I posted earlier concluded I found the X-Fi to produce slightly better sound quality. The ASUS is a notch less than the X-Fi as far as sound quality.

define what is better?? u could be listening to a worse quality in sound, which u are if u are comparing from x-ifi to the asus... and say that is a better sounding card. i dont see how u can say either is the better sonding card, really cos sound is subjective to what is better and whats not, so the only REAL comparison is the values of the specs. if u enjoy the sound of poor quality electronics then -hey fair enough to you, but for me higher numbers are more attractive.

oh and yes to me asus sounds a lot better, again this could depend on what your listening from.

mine is B & W 685 and m & k xenon 12 sub. (got it a few weeks ago actually)
m
l
December 7, 2010 3:17:52 PM

My 2 cents, give Auzentech Bravura and Forte a real close look. I have a Bravura and love it, the Forte has just a couple extra features I didn't need.
m
l
!