Creating full-screen photo slide shows with music

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 3, 2005 12:31:06 PM

I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?

I've tried a couple of different image programs (Microsoft, HP) but
none creates what I want. I really like the way my images look with
Micosoft's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer because it shows images in
full-screen mode at the best image density possible, but doesn't offer
anything in the way of helping you tell a story. I'd like to be able to
create a high-resoultion full-screen photo-show that also coordinates
subsets of slides with tracks of music, that lets you build a story by
setting the order in which images display and by showing captions and
text balloon overlays.

The programs that create VCDs seem to only want to use a lower
resolution image of the original photo, probably for purpose of
displaying on the TV screen. I don't care about creating a VCD, but I
do care about sharing with other Windows users, and maybe Mac users.
Thanks,
Tom Doster
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 4:06:07 PM

I like ProShow:

http://www.photodex.com/

You can download a trial version.

Mark
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:44:58 PM

did you try the "Photo Story" software?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/Photo.asp
there are some examples in the page.

<tomdoster@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
> I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
> create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?
>
> I've tried a couple of different image programs (Microsoft, HP) but
> none creates what I want. I really like the way my images look with
> Micosoft's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer because it shows images in
> full-screen mode at the best image density possible, but doesn't offer
> anything in the way of helping you tell a story. I'd like to be able to
> create a high-resoultion full-screen photo-show that also coordinates
> subsets of slides with tracks of music, that lets you build a story by
> setting the order in which images display and by showing captions and
> text balloon overlays.
>
> The programs that create VCDs seem to only want to use a lower
> resolution image of the original photo, probably for purpose of
> displaying on the TV screen. I don't care about creating a VCD, but I
> do care about sharing with other Windows users, and maybe Mac users.
> Thanks,
> Tom Doster

Related resources
January 3, 2005 9:18:54 PM

www.photodex.com proshow gold is best!

<tomdoster@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
> create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?
>
> I've tried a couple of different image programs (Microsoft, HP) but
> none creates what I want. I really like the way my images look with
> Micosoft's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer because it shows images in
> full-screen mode at the best image density possible, but doesn't offer
> anything in the way of helping you tell a story. I'd like to be able to
> create a high-resoultion full-screen photo-show that also coordinates
> subsets of slides with tracks of music, that lets you build a story by
> setting the order in which images display and by showing captions and
> text balloon overlays.
>
> The programs that create VCDs seem to only want to use a lower
> resolution image of the original photo, probably for purpose of
> displaying on the TV screen. I don't care about creating a VCD, but I
> do care about sharing with other Windows users, and maybe Mac users.
> Thanks,
> Tom Doster

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:59:25 AM

<tomdoster@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
> create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?
>
> I've tried a couple of different image programs (Microsoft, HP) but
> none creates what I want. I really like the way my images look with
> Micosoft's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer because it shows images in
> full-screen mode at the best image density possible, but doesn't offer
> anything in the way of helping you tell a story. I'd like to be able to
> create a high-resoultion full-screen photo-show that also coordinates
> subsets of slides with tracks of music, that lets you build a story by
> setting the order in which images display and by showing captions and
> text balloon overlays.
>
> The programs that create VCDs seem to only want to use a lower
> resolution image of the original photo, probably for purpose of
> displaying on the TV screen. I don't care about creating a VCD, but I
> do care about sharing with other Windows users, and maybe Mac users.
> Thanks,
> Tom Doster

Far and away:

Pro Show Gold (the difference between Pro Show, and Pro Show Gold is direct
DVD burning).

It offers EXCELLENT...In-show panning, zooming, rotating, text effect/motion
effects, transition effects, output via DVD render (with direct DVD/CD
burning built into the software), or any of about 8 other formats including
exe, screensaver, e-mail, CD, DVD, VCD, mpeg and others.

Add any mp3 or wma music file easily.
VERY professional looking presentations can be made.
If you're got a fast connection, I'll send you a link to some great, fully
rendered example you can view on the web.
That's the other thing you can do with it: They provide web-space for free
to share your projects. For people to view them, they must install a very
small applet (much like people must do to view PowerPoint shows...when they
don't own PowerPoint).
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:03:36 AM

Another software choice is 'Photo2DVD' ,It makes photo slide show video
CD and can be viewed on TV with a DVD player.
Just have a try from http://www.photo-to-dvd.com
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:26:16 AM

<tomdoster@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
> create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?
>
> I've tried a couple of different image programs (Microsoft, HP) but
> none creates what I want. I really like the way my images look with
> Micosoft's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer because it shows images in
> full-screen mode at the best image density possible, but doesn't offer
> anything in the way of helping you tell a story. I'd like to be able to
> create a high-resoultion full-screen photo-show that also coordinates
> subsets of slides with tracks of music, that lets you build a story by
> setting the order in which images display and by showing captions and
> text balloon overlays.

I use MS PowerPoint for just this purpose. I'm sure there is software out
there specifically for this but I've found PowerPoint more then adequate.
I can resize images, control transitions, create affects, add in music, work
with transition timing and slide timing, add text and titles, create just
about any overlay I want, add animations, and lots more.

PP also has a packager and a free viewer (downloadable from MS website) so
you can distribute you slide show on DVD or CD. It also has a translate
to web feature that will create a web based version of you slide show.

The only draw back? It's MS software. ;-)

--

Rob
Anonymous

On 3 Jan 2005 09:31:06 -0800, tomdoster@yahoo.com wrote:

>I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
>create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?

Windows Movie Maker... comes with XP.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 5:14:59 PM

Mark B. wrote:
> I like ProShow:
>
> http://www.photodex.com/
>
> You can download a trial version.

IMHO it makes terrible bad quality when used on a PC.

regards
Jan
--
A few photos can be found on http://jan.boegh.net/foto.htm
Anonymous

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> The only draw back? It's MS software. ;-)

More important: It seems to give problems with performance, when the files
are getting big.
I have found it neccesery to split shows in small parts if it shall play
smooth.
Preferebly less than 100 Mb on a 3GHz PC with 1 GB Ram.
Otherwise is Powerpoint capable of all I want.

regards.
Jan

--
A few photos can be found on http://jan.boegh.net/foto.htm
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:41:18 PM

"Jan Bøgh" <spamhater@nowhere> wrote in message
> Mark B. wrote:
> > I like ProShow:
> >
> > http://www.photodex.com/
> >
> > You can download a trial version.
>
> IMHO it makes terrible bad quality when used on a PC.

You've either got a SLOW PC, or...
....You're doing something terribly wrong.

The stuff you can produce with ProShow is stunningly
professional-looking...if you have even a tiny bit of creativity and
style/technique.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:35:56 AM

"Jan Bøgh" <spamhater@nowhere> wrote in message
> Mark B. wrote:
>> I like ProShow:
>>
>> http://www.photodex.com/
>>
>> You can download a trial version.
>
> IMHO it makes terrible bad quality when used on a PC.

Works fine for me, I've even used it on a laptop run through a digital
projector and it looked fine.

Mark
January 5, 2005 8:15:43 AM

"Mark B." <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Jan Bøgh" <spamhater@nowhere> wrote in message
>> Mark B. wrote:
>>> I like ProShow:
>>>
>>> http://www.photodex.com/
>>>
>>> You can download a trial version.
>>
>> IMHO it makes terrible bad quality when used on a PC.
>>

> Works fine for me, I've even used it on a laptop run through a digital
> projector and it looked fine.
>
> Mark

I tried several programs before settling on ProShowGold. It has so many
options for saving slideshows -- Executables for PCs, VCDs, DVDs, the list
goes on.

I used a long list of great MP3 tracks to play concurrently with the slides.
You can change the duration of how long the slides are shown so they match
up with key points in your music. I managed to time it perfectly so that the
last slide was shown just as the music ended.

I made one copy as an executable for a friend to run on his PC. My copy was
a VCD to run on my TV's DVD player. Both look great. I sometimes pull out
this VCD when I want to play some great music at my parties, which in that
case, the slideshow is just a bonus. Nobody's forcing any guests to watch.
They do, though. And I haven't heard any complaints about it. Kind of like
have your own personalized MTV station playing your own music videos.

As you can see, this is the best program I've found so far for creating
music slideshows.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:54:35 PM

On 3 Jan 2005 09:31:06 -0800, tomdoster@yahoo.com wrote:

>I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
>create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?
>
>I've tried a couple of different image programs (Microsoft, HP) but
>none creates what I want. I really like the way my images look with
>Micosoft's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer because it shows images in
>full-screen mode at the best image density possible, but doesn't offer
>anything in the way of helping you tell a story. I'd like to be able to
>create a high-resoultion full-screen photo-show that also coordinates
>subsets of slides with tracks of music, that lets you build a story by
>setting the order in which images display and by showing captions and
>text balloon overlays.
>
>The programs that create VCDs seem to only want to use a lower
>resolution image of the original photo, probably for purpose of
>displaying on the TV screen. I don't care about creating a VCD, but I
>do care about sharing with other Windows users, and maybe Mac users.
>Thanks,
>Tom Doster

Try Pictures to Exe from www.wnsoft.com

I like it better than Proshow Gold becasue you can add a song(s) and
have the program automatically time each slide to last the exact
length of the music.

It is for viweing only on a computer monitor, not for a home DVD
player.

robert Strom
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 6:11:08 PM

<snipped>

> Try Pictures to Exe from www.wnsoft.com
>
> I like it better than Proshow Gold becasue you can add a song(s) and
> have the program automatically time each slide to last the exact
> length of the music.
>
> It is for viweing only on a computer monitor, not for a home DVD
> player.
>
> robert Strom

The latest version of Pictures to Exe does allow the show to be output on
DVD, but not very elegantly, and you do need additional DVD burning
software.

However, the package is only $24, and you get free upgrades. I would not
be surprised to see later versions supporting DVD shows directly.

I have had P2E for a year or so, and am very happy with it, as are several
members of our camera club who have also bought a copy.

Dennis
January 5, 2005 11:23:37 PM

secheese wrote:

>On 3 Jan 2005 09:31:06 -0800, tomdoster@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
>>create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?
>
>Windows Movie Maker... comes with XP.

Produces video only, so resolution is limited, which the OP
specifically asked about. Also, transitions are limited to disolve,
and there are no zoom and pan effects.

Terry
January 5, 2005 11:26:37 PM

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>Far and away:
>
>Pro Show Gold (the difference between Pro Show, and Pro Show Gold is direct
>DVD burning).

And only Gold has the panning, zooming, rotating (known as Ken Burns
effects).

I agree ProShow is the best for a self running slide show.

It is not well suited for a show where you are giving an annotated
presentation, where you want to be able to pause, skip back 5 slides,
etc. I have not found a good solution for this task -- power point is
probably the best, but as another poster mentioned, it has problems
when the show gets large, and with large image files.

Terry
January 5, 2005 11:26:37 PM

Robert Strom wrote:

>Try Pictures to Exe from www.wnsoft.com
>
>I like it better than Proshow Gold becasue you can add a song(s) and
>have the program automatically time each slide to last the exact
>length of the music.

FWIW, you can do this in Pro Show Gold, as well.

Terry
January 5, 2005 11:26:37 PM

Rodrigo C. wrote:

>did you try the "Photo Story" software?
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/Photo.asp
>there are some examples in the page.

The LE version is limited to 5 slides. The plus version is limited to
50 images. The LE version is 320x240, and the pus version also offers
640x480. Since the OP specifically wants screen resolution, this
probably won't do.

Terry
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:26:38 PM

Thank you, I didn't know that.

"Terry" <no@email.invalid> escribió en el mensaje
> Rodrigo C. wrote:
>
>>did you try the "Photo Story" software?
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/Photo.asp
>>there are some examples in the page.
>
> The LE version is limited to 5 slides. The plus version is limited to
> 50 images. The LE version is 320x240, and the pus version also offers
> 640x480. Since the OP specifically wants screen resolution, this
> probably won't do.
>
> Terry

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 3:25:58 AM

Photoshop Elements V 3

<tomdoster@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for software package for Windows XP that will allow me to
> create a photo-show with music. Recommendations?
>
> I've tried a couple of different image programs (Microsoft, HP) but
> none creates what I want. I really like the way my images look with
> Micosoft's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer because it shows images in
> full-screen mode at the best image density possible, but doesn't offer
> anything in the way of helping you tell a story. I'd like to be able to
> create a high-resoultion full-screen photo-show that also coordinates
> subsets of slides with tracks of music, that lets you build a story by
> setting the order in which images display and by showing captions and
> text balloon overlays.
>
> The programs that create VCDs seem to only want to use a lower
> resolution image of the original photo, probably for purpose of
> displaying on the TV screen. I don't care about creating a VCD, but I
> do care about sharing with other Windows users, and maybe Mac users.
> Thanks,
> Tom Doster

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:47:55 AM

Here's the site for Photo Story 3. I didn't check out the whole thing,
but maybe it will tell you more about frame limits and resolution.
Since most of the folks I give CD's to are typically running VGA or
SVGA monitors or watching on TV, I've found the resolution quite
acceptable so I'm not even sure what it is. (I'm running ver.2) At my
age, I can't go much better than 800x600 anyway since the print gets
too small. Regardless, all the relatives are sure tickled with these
CD's of the Grandchildren and I get to force my voice and my music
choices on my ex-wife and she has to take it. Bet she turns the volume
down. ;o)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotogr...
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 10:44:16 AM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:26:37 GMT, Terry <no@email.invalid> wrote:

>Rodrigo C. wrote:
>
>>did you try the "Photo Story" software?
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/Photo.asp
>>there are some examples in the page.
>
>The LE version is limited to 5 slides. The plus version is limited to
>50 images. The LE version is 320x240, and the pus version also offers
>640x480. Since the OP specifically wants screen resolution, this
>probably won't do.

Photo Story 3 contains a profile for fast computers with 1024x768
resolution. I didn't see anything in Help about limits on the number
of pictures. Price is good: zero.
HTH
Duncan
January 6, 2005 3:43:18 PM

BioColor@aol.com wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:26:37 GMT, Terry <no@email.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Rodrigo C. wrote:
>>
>>>did you try the "Photo Story" software?
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/Photo.asp
>>>there are some examples in the page.
>>
>>The LE version is limited to 5 slides. The plus version is limited to
>>50 images. The LE version is 320x240, and the pus version also offers
>>640x480. Since the OP specifically wants screen resolution, this
>>probably won't do.
>
>Photo Story 3 contains a profile for fast computers with 1024x768
>resolution. I didn't see anything in Help about limits on the number
>of pictures. Price is good: zero.

Sorry, I should have specified that my comments were based on PS2. I
have not tried PS3 yet. It would be interesting to drop a few hundred
images on PS3 and see what it does.

Terry
!