Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon HD4670 not working properly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2010 6:48:43 PM

Hello to all this is my problem, I just purchased a new PC with AMD Phenom II X4 2.% GHz Quad Core with an ATI Radeon HD4670 1gig DD3 video card. When I got home I hooked everything up I was especially excited since I got a 19" HD Monitor a few months back which I can now use with the HD video card.

As soon as I turned my PC on, nothing came out it said "No Signal Input" on the screen. So I checked my HDMI cables if they were lose and tried again, still the same result. So after that I tried using the DVI cable and it worked with no problems. So what I did was I put the HD Cables back in and made the monitor read the HDMI and it worked! But the problem was the screen was cut at the sides, top and bottom are fine but the sides were like extending from the border of the screen. So what I did was to remove the DVI thats still plugged in and restart the PC, but when I restarted it, the same problem occurred "No Signal Input"

Its like I have to run with DVI first then transfer to HDMI. I don't think my Monitor has issues since it can read HD and I also tried changing different sizes in the settings but its either too big or too small windows come out that sometimes still stretches to the sides. I also tried downloading drivers but after installation, still the same problem.

I hope you guys could help me, this is as detailed as I can be. This was my birthday gift to my self and I don't really want to replace my monitor right now if thats the case.

Thanks A Lot!

-Anton
August 6, 2010 3:35:44 AM

Already install the latest driver?
Download it from ATI site and install it, see if that make any changes...
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:30:49 AM

One of the first things you should try is to use another HDMI cable. Sometimes cables are broken, pins are bent, etc.
Also, you should check your BIOS and monitor settings to make sure everything is setup properly.

My monitor is widescreen, so it will display exactly like yours (top and bottom ok, sides have border) if it is set in 4:3 Mode. Change that to 16:9 or widescreen, or whatever your monitor recommends).

As for the No Signal Input... did you change the channel the monitor is reading from? My monitor has 1 channel for VGA/DSUB, 1 channel for DVI, 1 channel for Composite, and 1 channel for Component. See if there is an Input, Source, Select, Video, or similar function on your monitor. That may be why HDMI doesn't work.

Another possible solution could be in your BIOS settings. My BIOS has an option for "Init. Display", which has the following options:

DSUB/DVI This is motherboard DVI
DSUB/HDMI This is motherboard HDMI
PEG/PCI This is graphics card

Important note: Plug your HDMI and DVI into the Graphics card! Not the motherboard as there is a difference! :non: 
The graphics card is normally seperated from the rest of the connectors for Mouse/Keyboard/USB

Try these out and let us know what happens! :sol: 

m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2010 6:43:23 PM

Spartanrevenge said:
One of the first things you should try is to use another HDMI cable. Sometimes cables are broken, pins are bent, etc.
Also, you should check your BIOS and monitor settings to make sure everything is setup properly.

My monitor is widescreen, so it will display exactly like yours (top and bottom ok, sides have border) if it is set in 4:3 Mode. Change that to 16:9 or widescreen, or whatever your monitor recommends).

As for the No Signal Input... did you change the channel the monitor is reading from? My monitor has 1 channel for VGA/DSUB, 1 channel for DVI, 1 channel for Composite, and 1 channel for Component. See if there is an Input, Source, Select, Video, or similar function on your monitor. That may be why HDMI doesn't work.

Another possible solution could be in your BIOS settings. My BIOS has an option for "Init. Display", which has the following options:

DSUB/DVI This is motherboard DVI
DSUB/HDMI This is motherboard HDMI
PEG/PCI This is graphics card

Important note: Plug your HDMI and DVI into the Graphics card! Not the motherboard as there is a difference! :non: 
The graphics card is normally seperated from the rest of the connectors for Mouse/Keyboard/USB

Try these out and let us know what happens! :sol: 

The HDMI cable works fine, as for the widescreen part, it is already set in the widescreen mode, and for the settings on the monitor it is set to detect HDMI.

I brought it to the shop yesterday and they found out that the Video card was missing some appropriate sizes for my monitor so they looked for updates and now it doesn't have a border anymore. Although the problem now is it does not use the "recommended" settings and although it is still HD blurriness is very visible especially in texts. The shop said that my 19" monitor is too small to support what the video card recommends to run HD. So I'm planning to buy a new Samsung 22" LED Full HD 1080p monitor this week.

Do you think this monitor can run 1440x900 that the Vidcard recommends?

thanks!!
m
l
August 7, 2010 6:02:20 PM

Yes, most every 19" widescreen monitor runs 1440x900. I am currently running the same graphics card and screen size. The 4670's seem to be very picky, as I have to use a DVI-VGA adapter and a VGA cable to my monitor on the first time after an update, or else I get no video. Now, on the case of DVI vs HDMI, they will actually output the same quality video, the only differences being that HDMI supports HDCP (who really cares?) and audio through the HDMI connection. If neither of those things are important to you, just stick to the DVI connection as it simply 'works'. You shouldn't notice any difference in quality.
m
l
August 8, 2010 3:38:59 AM

anton406 said:
The HDMI cable works fine, as for the widescreen part, it is already set in the widescreen mode, and for the settings on the monitor it is set to detect HDMI.

I brought it to the shop yesterday and they found out that the Video card was missing some appropriate sizes for my monitor so they looked for updates and now it doesn't have a border anymore. Although the problem now is it does not use the "recommended" settings and although it is still HD blurriness is very visible especially in texts. The shop said that my 19" monitor is too small to support what the video card recommends to run HD. So I'm planning to buy a new Samsung 22" LED Full HD 1080p monitor this week.

Do you think this monitor can run 1440x900 that the Vidcard recommends?

thanks!!

That new monitor should work fine if that is what the problem is... but the strange thing is that I had a 4670 with a 19" monitor running 1440x900 without any problems in HD. Btw, does your monitor have built-in speakers? If it doesn't then take danorou's advice and just go with DVI.
m
l
August 8, 2010 2:43:30 PM

danorou said:
Yes, most every 19" widescreen monitor runs 1440x900. I am currently running the same graphics card and screen size. The 4670's seem to be very picky, as I have to use a DVI-VGA adapter and a VGA cable to my monitor on the first time after an update, or else I get no video. Now, on the case of DVI vs HDMI, they will actually output the same quality video, the only differences being that HDMI supports HDCP (who really cares?) and audio through the HDMI connection. If neither of those things are important to you, just stick to the DVI connection as it simply 'works'. You shouldn't notice any difference in quality.

heres what happend, I got the Samsung LED for a very good price so I got it, when I got home I plugged it in the HDMI and there was no problems like before what so ever. Things changed when I logged in to my account. The screen was now in the middle of the monitor meaning it has a black border around it not fully utilizing the size of the monitor.

I brought it to the shop once again and there they tried a lower video card compared to the 4670 but this time and Invidia and it worked wel!! display is crisp and fits the size of the monitor. so they told me that they'll try out a higher Invidia Video Card the Sparkle Gt240 1gig DDR3 HDMI on monday to see if it works. so I'll just have to wait and see.

Btw, any comments on this card?

Thanks!
m
l
August 8, 2010 4:17:22 PM

anton406 said:
heres what happend, I got the Samsung LED for a very good price so I got it, when I got home I plugged it in the HDMI and there was no problems like before what so ever. Things changed when I logged in to my account. The screen was now in the middle of the monitor meaning it has a black border around it not fully utilizing the size of the monitor.

I brought it to the shop once again and there they tried a lower video card compared to the 4670 but this time and Invidia and it worked wel!! display is crisp and fits the size of the monitor. so they told me that they'll try out a higher Invidia Video Card the Sparkle Gt240 1gig DDR3 HDMI on monday to see if it works. so I'll just have to wait and see.

Btw, any comments on this card?

Thanks!

From the sound of that, it appears that your 4670 was defective. The GT240 has some advantages over the 4670 in that it uses GDDR5 and has PhysX. The 4670 however is 200mhz faster, but uses GDDR3.

It comes down to what you want to do with your computer. If you want to watch DVDs and BluRay HD, then either card should work just fine. However if you want to do gaming, with high graphics quality, neither card is a good choice. They will both play games, but at Low-Med level, not HD.

Given that you have already spent money on a new monitor, if you want gaming, then step up to higher tier of cards. If you are using your computer as an HTPC, then you should be fine.
m
l
August 8, 2010 4:45:21 PM

Actually, I find that my 4670 can run all steam games at high-max settings, and Mass Effect 2 at high settings. It's really just about what resolution you use, and at 1440x900, you can play most 1 year or older games with mid-high settings. If I were to recommend a video card at this point, it would be a 5770 or 5750.
m
l
!